Home

Genuine Windows?

jon_hill987

I just started my computer to find the message "this copy of windows is not genuine" and that I "may have been a victim of software piracy" What the hell is going on? I clicked on resolve problem later as I wasn't sure what would happen if I clicked resolve now.

My copy of windows is genuine, I have had this computer for nearly 3 years now and this has not happened before. is this a new security feature that was just installed as an update? If so it is broken!

Anyone else had anything like this?

I have Wndows XP home OEM which I updated to SP2

Are you victim of software piracy? No, but I think you might be victim to yet another stupid attempt at stopping software piracy. These attempts I speak of usually do little in the ways of actually stopping piracy and do more damage to their loyal consumers. I dunno what to tell you but to just call up Microsoft and complain.

It's happening all around the world.

It's a new update that Microsoft has placed as required to auto-download.

Everyone that leaves Windows doing the updates will download that, and who has a illegal copy of Windows will see that message.

Now I don't know why you have seen that message if your copy is genuine.

All I can tell you to do is what IG said, call Microsoft and bitch about it :p

Though I'm 90% sure they will say your copy is illegal so I hope you still have the papers from the store you bought that Windows.

This is really old news :/

When I went to Windows Update months ago, I had to go through the steps of verifying my copy of windows. Haven't had a problem since. If your copy is legit, and if you still have your certificate of authenticity, you shouldn't be worried.

Same here. When I originally downloaded it, it screwed up my machine so badly it froze completely after logging on and I couldn't use it except in safe mode. I had to reinstall the operating system and then re-download all the patches up to SP2, since, apparently, the Windows update software missed a patch. But that patch wouldn't properly install on my computer either. It was a pretty widespread problem that Microsoft didn't have a solution for. We never heard back from them and attempted to install SP2 from the installation CD, which didn't work because certain registry key values couldn't be deleted. :mad: Summation: XP SP2 sucks and it with all the hassle I've had with Windows software in the past it doesn't surprise me that some useless anti-piracy crap causes more trouble than it's worth. My advice would be that if it isn't actually interfering with the operation of your system, ignore it. You'll probably end up spending more time trying to fix the problem and causing yourself more aggrivation in the process.

This is really old news :/

When I went to Windows Update months ago, I had to go through the steps of verifying my copy of windows. Haven't had a problem since. If your copy is legit, and if you still have your certificate of authenticity, you shouldn't be worried.

Thanx, i did that and it seemed happy I havn't ripped Micro$oft off (they ripped me off instead. lol).

Are you victim of software piracy? No, but I think you might be victim to yet another stupid attempt at stopping software piracy. These attempts I speak of usually do little in the ways of actually stopping piracy and do more damage to their loyal consumers.

You are right about that, as you could just chose to ignore the message all it managed to do is make me want to punch Bill Gates.

As for SP2 My computer kept breaking without it, all my antivirus software could do was delete MS Blast/ Sasser when they turned up but by that point my computer was already turning itself off. But like you said if your computer works, no need to fix it.

Problem is, MS needs so many updates that you pretty much HAVE to leave it on autoupdate... seems like about 1 security patch a day.

I got this checker earlier in the week in an autoupdate.. and then a new version a day or so later. Now it seems to keep trying to connect to the MS server every time i start windows. Might see if i can unistall it. At least it isn't telling me its fake.

YOu could try just setting your firewall to block it's access to the internet.

I'm still running Windows 2000 Professional ... the NT version that came out before XP and you know what? It runs like a champ.

I use XP systems at school & work and don't find any features or advantages over Win 2K... and, although I have autoupdate, I've never received any notice that my copy was bad. If you find an old copy of Win2k out there, and you want XP functionality, you might be able to pick it up for great discount. And the Win2K kernal is exactly the same as the XP kernal but with one minor upgrade (XP is 5.1 and Win2k is 5.0). They use the same drivers, directx, etc. and both are just as good at gaming.

The only difference I've seen with XP is that its more user-friendly with lots of bells/whistles -but functionality is relatively the same. I think XP limits the number of peers in a network to 10, but Win2k doesn't.

SP2 is a worthwhile upgrade... though it can be a pain if it has issues with any software you use. It was fine for me and, as much as i laugh at Microsoft's security mess, it does actually make things more secure. Windows firewall is nearly pointless though.

Archived