Home

Pirates VS Ninjas, who'd win?

That would be nice.

I draw freehand and I've allways had problems with proportions. I like my drawings it's just that they're not very good. that's why I either cartoon or draw something that's 'my style' I usually draw really small pictures that no-one notices. and I always put alot of detail into them (which makes them look better.)

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay then, first thing is first: the head and face. This is the hardest to tell you about cuz the face is often how characters are differentiated since the body in general is usually the same among the same genders. The head starts off as a circle (for mangaish or american-comicish drawings). Just a circle. Place a dot in the center. This will help you figure your guidelines. From here, things get tricky. You are to draw the eye-line, a line going from one end of the circle to the other that acts as the center for the eyes. The eyeline must bo on or below the centered dot. I must stress that for anatomically correct (even cartoony) characters. As a rule of thumb, the higher the eyeline the older the character. Younger characters, especially cute one should have a lower eyeline. Place that eye-line where you wish, but do it nicely since it takes a while to learn your preference, you might put it too high for a child for example. The eyeline must be level unless the character's head is cocked and/or angled. EYES! The bigger the eyes, the younger and cuter the character. The opposite applies to older characters. There isn't much I can say about eyes, you will draw them according to your style. I personally love the way they do the eyes in Naruto, high up and thus a tad more realistic, but thats just me. Now the angling line. It starts in the eyeline, and extends outward, and out of that circle. Where it ends determines how long the chin is, and thus how old. The angling line must not be on the center unless the char is facing forward. Where it is drawn dictates where the chin is also actually located. So, the closer to the edge of the circle, the more the character is looking to the side. The closer in to the center, the more the char is looking forward. There is little I can say about this too, it just takes practice to find where you like for the angel/chin line to be. Now, you must draw the chin and jaw. Draw a line from the center of the bottom of the circle, going out intil you reach the end of the eyeline. You can also extend a little further for higher cheekbones, or in more for lowere ones. Connect a line from the eyeline to the cheeckline, then from there, to the chinline. And finally, from there to the edge of the circle facing away from the angle the char is facing. Take some liberties, women have softer contours and rounded to pointy chins, men tend to have square jaws. The nose is about halfway down from the eyes to the chin, the mouth, (obviously) below it. Another note, no eye should be centered on the chin-line, it just cant. It will look wrong. The end of an eye can line with the chineline, preferably the outside eye where the cheekline is made on. Confused, I wouldn't be surprised, but there, WALAH! you've made the head. Simpler in practice actually.

Wow. I'm going to get a piece of paper and use that thing like a walkthrough. I'm a little confused as to the angling line though. Now all we need to know is the rest of the body! what if you're drawing really vague images or people with heads looking away from the picture?

Also, did you draw your avatar? 'cause it rawks too.

Yeah, I drew the avatar and used Irfanview to crop it. The angling line pretty much positions the angle/location of the chin. I'm 'onna try and make the guide on paper and link to it, makes it easier as there is alot you can cover on the head and face if you want to include how to invoke a certain image.

*click and save*

Very VERY nice. You made so much cooler than anything I could done! In fact Everything about it rocks! 'Rawk's to be precice. I still don't know how you draw so well. I did that little 'tutorial' you posted. I ended up with this little guy that looks like Stuey from family guy dressed up as a Ninja. But yeah, teh pic is GREATness concentrated! I especially like the Coat and Boots. How long did it take you to draw it?

Damn. It's just so bad-ass.

Cheers HEAPS!

St. Jimmy

EDIT: Yes, much clearer. You even named it St. Jimmy! wicked-ness intensified.

Thanx! *ponder ?* About 20 min. You get used to all the guidelines after a while, so with practice you can draw faster. Wait until I post the little tutorial up later on in the week, it really helps if you can see the lines involved. I'll make two demonstrating the differences between the faces of women and men.

Hooray for artwork!!!!! I just started one of my painting classes and it's pretty damn neat. I ususually only did charcoal and pencil stuff, but painting is fun! Like Bob Ross. Who is awesome. My name is Ross too. So we have something in common besides a love for art and a 'fro. (Actually, I don't have a fro but it would be great if I did.)

I have some charcoal pencils, but I find that medium rather messy. I prefer to use artists pencils, hence why none of my work is colored and simply shaded with grays. Painting is fun I admit, but it's not something I really crave to do for a) the paints, easel and paper are kinda expensive, b) I feel like you have less control over what you are doing. I might take it up again once I feel better about my drawing. Your name is Ross eh? It reminds me of Friends...no offense. Making the tut gives me a newfound respect for whoever writes tuts themselves or authors the books, cuz you have to draw the same steps over and over, and looking at unfinished sketches is such a ...I dunno, You just wanna go back and finish them! I suppose I'll have to make a new one. Exoect it up either Sunday at the earliest or Tuesday at the latest.

Archived