Home

Intel's Core 2 Duo takes performance lead from AMD

Char Ell

According to reports from mutiple hardware websites, Intel's Core 2 Duo has taken over the performance and performance/watt lead from AMD.

Tom's Hardware Guide

CNET News

Anandtech

It's about time Intel got its act together and started competing with AMD. I feel to thank AMD for kicking Intel in it's posterior. :p Perhaps AMD vs. Intel will morph into something along the lines of ATI vs. NVIDIA, with the competing companies playing a heated game of leapfrogging oneupsmanship. :brow:

Meh, I'm AMD for life. Intel stuff always seems more expensive, and for less.

Also, I'm confident that AMD will get something else to beat it.

I just love that Intel is probably gonna market the f*** out of this, and AMD has basically no marketing and lets their power and word of mouth do the job.

Yeah, I would be AMD for life too, but I'm thinking my next computer is going to be a G5 Mac OS X Leapord running on an Intel chip with Windows and Linux also installed on seperate Hard drives :)

hahaha the picture on Tom's Hardware is priceless!

Meh, I'm AMD for life. Intel stuff always seems more expensive, and for less.

Also, I'm confident that AMD will get something else to beat it.

I too think AMD will eventually trump Intel again. And while Intel processors have been more expensive than comparable AMD processors in the past I think the pricing is now relatively even between the two.

Intel is going to launch Core 2 Duo on July 27 and also reduce prices on existing processor lines. I believe AMD will also counter with price reductions of their own at that time so if anyone is looking to buy a CPU in the near future it's adviseable to wait until the beginning of August to get better pricing. ;)

@ MrWally - Yeah, that pic from THG is quite amusing. :lol:

Intel seemed to lose the lead because they tried to innovate (which of cousrse costs more) whereas AMD have stuck with tried technology and therefore managed to keep prices down. However at some point the innovation tends to pay off and AMD gets overtaken.

I've had AMD for the last few years simply because they are cheaper... though I think my next PC may actually be a Mac Laptop.. so i'll be on intel by default.

But I have no real preference, I'll just use whatever is the best value at the time i need a new PC.

Archived