Home

Reserve your very own PS3 today for just...

MTV2

For the games companies its great... because it totally cuts out the secondary market... suddenly people (like me) can't buy the majority of their games 2nd hand (where the profit goes to the shop) and have to buy them direct and full price from the publisher... much more profit for them. ;)

Ugh....that's going to suck really hard if it happens.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heh.. that was funny yet true.. multilayered...

So am i right in thinking we are all going to be in a long queue for the one on the right??

All except Kain who will have the one on the left all to himself.. lucky boy ;)

Damn right you Wii hippies. You go play your Marios and your Zeldas. I'm pulling for the long haul for the next LoK. Kain kicks Mario's ass based simply on the fact that Mario has no weapon and Kain's a demigod.

Screw you guys. I've got important things to tend to...mostly slobbering over a game that may never come...*mumblemumble*Mainly because BO2 failed on every system...those bastards at Eidos rushed it! ITS NOT FAIR GODDAMNIT!!! It failed worst on Nintendo, too. Can't handle some blood folks?! HA!! If they don't jump on the enemies head it ain't worth playing? -.-*mumblemumble*

Uh, ignore that. I've had a few shots of the Captain and I'm feeling quite aggresive.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article here: apparently both HD-DVD and Blueray sales are well below expectations, HD-DVD is currently outselling blueray and the first batch of Blueray movies:

Ken Crane's CEO Casey Crane and Bjorn's president Bjorn Dybdahl noted their employees were embarrassed delivering store demonstrations of the first batch of Blu-ray films. Staffers could discern little distinction between the discs and their standard-definition counterparts.
:o

http://www.cepro.com/news/editorial/14608.html

Interesting, though of course its only early days...

[edit]

Its available for preorder in the UK too..

http://www.freemans.com/web/main/productlist.asp?N=4294956646&Ns=P%5FPrice%7C1

For some reason sonic is £60 less than MOtorstorm.. that can't be right.

But its £549 to £609 for a console with 1 game ($1,042 to $1,156).

£669 for one with 2 games. ($1,270)

£60 a game. ($113).

(note: boy that exchange rate is a lot worse than i remembered!)

The greatest thing about DVDs were that you could buy a DVD player and plug it up to your existing TV and notice a great rise in quality over your VHS...

The worst thing about Bluray and HD-DVDs are that to get the most out of them you need to buy a very decent HDTV which costs quite a bit...

The fact that 99.9% of movies don't have the level of picture detail that justifies High Definition in the first place also shows us why High Definition media is a little early...

At the moment, Xbox360 games are selling for 110AUD to 120AUD each... I can't wait to see how much PS3 games are gonna sell for XD

For those that plopped their money down for a PS3 reservation your chances of getting one before the end of the year just got much smaller. And if you're in the UK get set to wait until March of next year before you will be able to get your hands on a PS3. :smirk2:

From anandtech.com <link>

Well, here's some rather interesting news from the Sony camp. Sony has originally planned on a November 17 global launch for the PlayStation 3, but those plans have been completely hosed. It is now reported that Sony will delay the launch of the PS3 in Europe until March of 2007. To make matters even worse, Sony is only going to make available 500,000 total units split between the United States (400,000) on November 17 and Japan (100,000) on November 11.

Mass production of Sony's Cell processor isn't even expected to start until the end of this month according to Kutaragi. And as a result of this production snag, Sony has revised its shipping estimates from 4 million units at the end of 2006 to just 2 million. Bottom line: if you thought you were going to have trouble getting a PS3 this year, your chances just got much worse.

Sony just keeps on stumbling, trying to get its new console out in time for the holiday season yet not having all their manufacturing issues worked out beforehand. IIRC Xbox 360 supporters had to go through this last year with Microsoft, no?

It seems like EVERY problem the PS3 has had is down to BlueRay. As far as i know only one lanch game actually needs blueray capacity, but i could be wrong on that.

You can't help but wonder if they wouldn't have been better to release a PS3 without blueray, for the price of an xbox360, 6 months ago, globally and then release a blueray addon like MS is doing with the HD-DVD addon for the 360.

On the other hand, if PS3 is a success it basically means blueray should win the format war.. so they are literally betting the company on PS3+Blueray.

Yeah, it's just their stumbling block.

I look at it like I look at gamecube in a way. It seemd to be the lowest console (not to me, but generally speaking), compared to their last one. And while there weren't throngs of good games on it, it did have its absolute gems. That's kind of how I'm looking at the PS3. Will it be the last Playstation? Probably not. Will it be their stumbling block? It sure seems like it.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently Sony's Ken Kutaragi made a fairly significant announcement at the Tokyo Game show. According to the report the Japanese version's base model PS3 will have HDMI and will cost less than originally announced. Very interesting.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/734/734349p1.html

Ken Kutaragi's first bombshell was that the 20 gigabyte PS3 model will now included an HDMI port. Until now, only the 60 Gig model was set to include the next generation port, which is currently available on only a small fraction of televisions.

But this upgrade in specifications is nothing compared to what Kutaragi had in store next. The 20 gigabyte PS3 model is going to break new ground by seeing a price drop before it's even been released! Kutaragi announced that the 20 Gig model, HDMI port and all, will now cost 49,980 yen. This is a drastic drop from the previous 62,790 yen.

We'll have to wait and see if the US version of the base model PS3 will also get a price drop and HDMI.

I heard the price drop was only for the japanese base model.. which makes no sense as Japan is by far their strongest market. They could sell it for double and people would still probably buy it over there. Its the US and europe where they are facing stiff competition from MS and need to drop the price.

Still, maybe there will be an announcement about other territories later.

You're right it is only for Japan and it doesn't make sense, generally gamers in Japan will buy the console for whatever price it's set at, no matter what. If it has the games, they'll buy it. It would've been smarter to go for a price drop in the US and other territories, maybe not right away, but very quickly.

But from what I hear of his keynote speech, it was the most BORING speech ever by Sony, far worse than their showing at E3 2006...

And on a funnier and me screwed up note... Apparantly, according to Sony, Nintendo is losing market share in the handheld sector, they're losing core gamers and not expanding the market while the PSP is. According to a Sony rep, Nintendo is failing... XD here's the quote...

"I think obviously our competition, the handheld devices from Nintendo and specifically in the case of the DS, we really feel like they’re appealing to the same audience that Game Boy has always appealed to. And if you look at the adoption rate of the DS over the first 17 months, not only does it trail the PSP but it also trails their other platforms… They’re potentially losing some of their core audience and they’re not really expanding beyond that and we think we’re expanding into a completely new audience as we did with PlayStation. And we’ll do just what we did on PlayStation; we’ll dip down to the younger consumer eventually and we’ll ultimately appeal to that vastly Earth wide audience we carved out with the original PlayStation.” - Sony Computer Entertainment America’s Executive VP Jack Tretton

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=13886

LOL

So does anyone see this move by Sony as their way of solidifying their hold on their strongest market while at the same time conceding they will lose market share in other regions of the world?

That is how I interpret it as long as Sony doesn't spread the "price dropping love" to their customers outside of Japan. And based off this quote from an MSNBC article it sounds like Sony doesn't intend to lower the price of the base PS 3 anywhere other than Japan.

There are no plans to lower prices in the U.S. or other markets, Sony spokeswoman Nanako Kato said.
I don't know. Maybe U.S. video game players that planned to buy a PS 3 won't care about their Japanese counterparts getting a better price on their PS 3. The Aussies and the Europeans have had to pay more for their gaming habit than their American counterparts for some time now, right? Maybe it's time for the Yanks to get the shaft, eh? :smirk2:

You're right it is only for Japan and it doesn't make sense, generally gamers in Japan will buy the console for whatever price it's set at, no matter what. If it has the games, they'll buy it. It would've been smarter to go for a price drop in the US and other territories, maybe not right away, but very quickly.

But from what I hear of his keynote speech, it was the most BORING speech ever by Sony, far worse than their showing at E3 2006...

And on a funnier and me screwed up note... Apparantly, according to Sony, Nintendo is losing market share in the handheld sector, they're losing core gamers and not expanding the market while the PSP is. According to a Sony rep, Nintendo is failing... XD here's the quote...

"I think obviously our competition, the handheld devices from Nintendo and specifically in the case of the DS, we really feel like they’re appealing to the same audience that Game Boy has always appealed to. And if you look at the adoption rate of the DS over the first 17 months, not only does it trail the PSP but it also trails their other platforms… They’re potentially losing some of their core audience and they’re not really expanding beyond that and we think we’re expanding into a completely new audience as we did with PlayStation. And we’ll do just what we did on PlayStation; we’ll dip down to the younger consumer eventually and we’ll ultimately appeal to that vastly Earth wide audience we carved out with the original PlayStation.” - Sony Computer Entertainment America’s Executive VP Jack Tretton

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=13886

LOL

Wow. Sony just lies and makes up some bulls*** to make it look like the PSP is actually beating the DS, while the DS is just f***in DOMINATING.

Archived