Home

Grim Fandango a Tim Burton film??

skankityspence

I haven't seen a thread about this on here yet, so here it goes:

The word on the street is Grim Fandango is going to be a movie directed by Tim Burton.

Personally, I have mixed feelings about this. In a sense, I'm super-glad about this because GF finally has some sort of updated news and something to see.

But I'm also royally annoyed/nervous that the movie will ultimately screw over GF. I mean, that's not always the case. But it's more than likely.

But we'll have to see when it comes out!

Overall, I'm excited. :)

mmm.... I don't mean to be annoying about this but... I think "Grim Fandango: The Movie" is now on IMDb as "announced for 2009". Schafer said he didn't know anything about this, though.

***There are way too many jokes to write about this right now, so pick your own***

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing that would really annoy me would be the fact that people will start using GF shirts, and bags, and pins just because it´s going to turn in a fashion, as happened with The nightmare before christmas.

Perhabs most won´t even know the movie is based on a game, one of the best games of all the times.

The only thing that would really annoy me would be the fact that people will start using GF shirts, and bags, and pins just because it´s going to turn in a fashion, as happened with The nightmare before christmas.

Perhabs most won´t even know the movie is based on a game, one of the best games of all the times.

Well, people don't have to know that it is based on a game to enjoy the movie. In fact, if you are a fan of the game, then you are always going to compare the game and the movie and try to find differences. If the story is good, then the movie is good.

I agree with Nick. In fact, I loathe the kind of elitists who go around telling people when they're good enough to be fans of something. This isn't directed at Santiago, but I've had this kind of experiences elsewhere. For example, you apparently have no right to call yourself a fan of LotR if you haven't read the books, or a fan of Lordi if you only started liking them after Eurovision. I also know some W.I.T.C.H. fans who are bitching about the increasing popularity of the comic. According to them, it's no longer fun when everyne knows the characters. Sheesh.

It doesn't matter when or how someone starts liking something, or what they like about it. If somebody thinks Manny looks good and wants to wear a shirt with his picture on it but isn't interested in the game, why should that bother anyone?

Guest Upgrade

well lets hope that IF a GF movie would come out that the director would steer away from making the movie gothic. Just because its the land of the dead doesnt mean its cheerfull. Anyway lets hope that when time passes we can get more info and hope that the director doesnt change the GF story

Anyway lets hope ... that the director doesnt change the GF story

Well... maybe not change it, but make it shorter. I mean, there's no way to show everything that happened in the 4 years in a 90/120 minute movie. Maybe the director could skip a year or something like that.

Guys, there isn't going to be a Grim Fandango movie. It was all a lie (albeit a very clever lie that travelled all around the net) started by someone who I won't name but knows exactly who he is, not that he'll admit it.

Let it go.

Because Burton gets Depp to star in most of his movies.

For the fans of the game I don't think anyone would be able to replace Tony Plana and if Depp did play Manny he would probably take a very different slant on the charachter. But as an acting performance it would probably be very good.

I ban you because... oh, wait, wrong thread...

That's exactly my point, there are always gonna be fans who compare the vg and the movie trying to find the differences. I'm not saying Depp is not a good choice for Manny, but the movie doesn't have to be exactly like the game, otherwise it would be like watching a VHS tape of someone playing.

Unlike Psychonauts, I have a harder time seeing this translated into a different type of media. Where Psychonauts relied heavily on the characters to make the game, Grim Fandango had amazing characters but also relied on the adventure aspect of the game, finding and figuring out things by yourself. Psychonauts, while it had a deep exploration aspect to it did not have it as a central aspect to the game.

Hmm, am I even making sense?

I understand what you're saying. Much of Manny's character development occurs when you are just walking aournd hearing what he has to say when you examine things. Having the same sort of thing in a movie wouldn't work very well I guess. But I think it's possible to show character development in other ways.

As far as charachters and charachter development goes I can't really seeing there being too much trouble translating that from game to film. The main problem that I can see is that there is way too much story to cram in to 90 minutes. Things would have to be cut. Harshly cut.

I don't know about anyone else, but for me a big part of the charm of GF is that even the minor characters are well developed and have interesting personalities. In a movie, many of them wouldn't even appear. People like the clown, Toto, Membrillo, Carla and so on don't have much impact on the plot (other than puzzles), so they'd have to go.

Even the main characters' personalities and stories would have to be cut a lot. It might be the same story on a basic level, but it wouldn't be very good, in my opinion.

Since Klia brought up Psychonauts, I have to mention that I'd LOVE to see an animated series based on that game.

Archived