Home

Rank 99?!

Joshi

Okay, so this being my third attempt to complete Psychonauts with a 100 rank rating (my other attempts being foiled by endless searching for figments in places like Black Velvetopia and Waterloo World causing me to give up before even entering the asylum tower and just playing the game through to completion on something like rank 89 or something) I finally managed to get all the psicards, all challenge markers, all scavenger items, all cobwebs, all vaults (although I'm not sure if that's nessecary for ranks) all baggage and finally (with a tiny bit of help from an faq) all figments.

All cashed in with the gypsie lady and finally, I'm at rank...99.

So what happened there? At a guess, I'd say it was because I got all but one of the brains, but then I didn't really think getting all the brains would up me a rank (well, okay, I did, until I couldn't find one of them, no idea who, and I just thought, hey, this doesn't contribute to my rank, why should i find it?).

Stupidy, I kept the entire game in one savegame file, so question, will I now have to go back to basic braining, beat the coaches punching game again just to get rank 100?

I know it's not a big deal, and thanks to my bink viewer, I saw the cutscene ages ago, but I just want to get the feeling that I earned the basically mediochre cutscene.

Stupidy, I kept the entire game in one savegame file, so question, will I now have to go back to basic braining, beat the coaches punching game again just to get rank 100?

I believe you are correct. In order to achieve 100 (or more) you need complete the Coach's punching game. I think you can win it twice.

Have you reached the end of the final level yet? I assume you can get an extra rank by collecting its figments and such. If not, I have no idea what's going on there.

You should be able to go back to the punching game though since there's the teleporters in the meat circus.

Yes, all figments from the final level (inside the meat circus and the rail sliding thing with all those happy jumps) have been gotten as well as all cobwebs and baggage (and the cobwebs had been handed in to the gypsie lady via the teleporter after the rail slide thingy).

I'm just going to go ahead and assume that that one brain I didn't get was the cause of it.

Yes, all figments from the final level (inside the meat circus and the rail sliding thing with all those happy jumps) have been gotten as well as all cobwebs and baggage (and the cobwebs had been handed in to the gypsie lady via the teleporter after the rail slide thingy).

I'm just going to go ahead and assume that that one brain I didn't get was the cause of it.

Collecting all the baggage doesn't impact your ranking. The sole reason to collect all the baggage is to unlock the pre-game sketches and drawings that were eventually turned into the game.

I don't think the memory vaults impact ranking either. Opening a vault just clues you in on that character's background story and lets you in on why they are behaving the way they are.

Figments do impact ranking. I believe you gain one rank for every 100 figments you collect. Cobwebs and PSI cards do effect your rankings. Get them all.

And, yes, you do need to collect all the brains though I don't think it effects your ranking. I think it's just a goal that Raz has to achieve. Anyone else know?

Too much yes. I'd say the hardest were the crazy spinning logs bit in Basic Braining and the Race in Milla's Dance party. oh, and a few of the high up ones in waterloo world. But those were merely difficult to get rather than hard to find. But yeah, it mainly just takes a lot of patience.

Woah those spinning logs had me stuck for a while, im on Waterloo world atm and there are sooooo many figments i don't know where to start! ur good at psychonauts man....and the only person that responded to any of my posts. Maybe Darth Ave just hate's me? *shrugs*

Any tips on the spinny logs figments?

I bought the "Psychonauts" official strategy guide and I was wrong about the baggage. Collecting baggage does help increase your ranking according to the guide.

Collecting brains, on the other hand, doesn't increase your ranking. According to the guide, for each brain you recover, you gain a quarter of a brain in your mental health. The maximum amount of brains in your mental health is 18. By the time you get to some of the later bosses, you really need all the mental health (brain symbols) you can get so finding all of the stolen brains is a very good thing.

The following are the four ways to increase your ranking:

1) Collect 100 figment points. By the way, some figments are worth more than 1 point so getting all the figments is important for ranking faster and higher.

2) Locate & collect a PSI Challenge Marker. PSI-Challenge Markers are rare and give you one rank up immediately (you don't have to put them in the machine in Cruller's Sanctuary).

3) Collect 9 PSI cards and purchase a PSI Core from the Camp Store and reconstruct them in the machine in Ford's Sanctuary to gain a rank.

4) Find 8 Scavenger Hunt items and turn them into Ranger Cruller to gain 4 ranks. Collect the other 8 items for another 4 ranks.

Mental Cobwebs = 1 PSI card when put into them into the other machine in Cruller's Sanctuary. You need the Cobweb Duster in order to collect Mental Cobwebs.

As for the Punching Targets game in the Coach's level, you can play the game up to six times and only upon complettion of the 6th time do you get a rank up. The rest of the times you play it, you just get arrowheads.

Yeah, I basically did all that apart from doing the punching game again. Now I have no idea, I was sure it'd be the brains since I missed one of them. Oh well.

Nope. Finding and Collecting the brains will only increase your mental health. They have nothing to do with ranking.

edited to add: I think the rank you're missing is the Coach's Punching game. You said in your first post that you didn't do it. Though I seem to recall in another discussion that the Coach's Punching game was an "extra" ranking, meaning if you completed it and everything else in the game you'd achieve a rank of 101.

Also, if all the lights are on for each doorway in the Collective Unconscience, meaning you've collected everything from those levels that you can, logically then it must mean you missed something in the final levels which aren't part of the Collective Unconscience.

Ariel Lobotto asked "Where do you get the strategy guide from?"

You can buy new (and used) copies at Amazon.com or you can do a search for the guide on auction websites like eBay.

Well, the lights are all on, I'm sure I have all psi cards and challenge markers from the camp and the asylum plus everything from the meat circus (figments, baggage, vaults, cobwebs) So I still have no idea.

Your journal should tell you if you have all the PSI cards/Challenge Markers when you're in an area (just as it should tell you if you're missing any figments when you're in someone's head). You can confirm this by revisiting each area in the "Real" world and checking your journal to make sure you have all the PSI Cards/Markers.

If you do this and find you do have it all, then that should mean that you may have missed something in the final levels (besides not completing the Coach's Punching Game).

Yes, I knew that and did that each time. The thing is, I'm on exactly 99, I no longer have any psi cards or cobwebs and no extra figments, so I must be missing one little thing that'll put me up by a whole rank, as apposed to maybe a missing figment or psi card.

But yes, I did check my journel in each location for the psi-cards, challenge markers and scavenger items, as I did in each mental world for figments, baggage and vaults.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i am really really crap at that punching game. im so unco!

One of the tactics to beat the game is to make sure that, in the last half of the game when the targets appear at a faster rate, to stay within the center of the circle. Most of the targets that appear in the last half of the game should be towards the inner circle or second circle where they should be easy to punch.

edited to add: I went back through the game and saw that there are two circles of targets in the game. In the last half of the game, all the targets should appear only on the inner circle.

Okay, so this being my third attempt to complete Psychonauts with a 100 rank rating (my other attempts being foiled by endless searching for figments in places like Black Velvetopia and Waterloo World causing me to give up before even entering the asylum tower and just playing the game through to completion on something like rank 89 or something) I finally managed to get all the psicards, all challenge markers, all scavenger items, all cobwebs, all vaults (although I'm not sure if that's nessecary for ranks) all baggage and finally (with a tiny bit of help from an faq) all figments.

All cashed in with the gypsie lady and finally, I'm at rank...99.

So what happened there? At a guess, I'd say it was because I got all but one of the brains, but then I didn't really think getting all the brains would up me a rank (well, okay, I did, until I couldn't find one of them, no idea who, and I just thought, hey, this doesn't contribute to my rank, why should i find it?).

I know it's not a big deal, and thanks to my bink viewer, I saw the cutscene ages ago, but I just want to get the feeling that I earned the basically mediochre cutscene.

I decided to play the game through again (my 4th time) and this time I made sure to get every figment, cobweb, piece of baggage, etc, in the game (which wasn't easy, of course...the people who created this game are freaking genuises!). Returning all the brains doesn't help your ranking. It just helps increase the number of brains in your mental health which you may need when you reach the final Meat Circus level.

I found that when you finish the Tunnel of Love rail slide-ride in the Meat Circus level, having gotten absolutely everything before in the game, you will be at exactly Rank 100 with no leftover figments. The last figment you get in the Tunnel of Love (the last figment is shortly before the ride ends) puts you at Rank 100 exactly. If you successfully played the Coach's Puching Game six times, you would have gotten the extra rank putting you at 101.

So if you got to the Butcher's tent and you were not at Rank 100 and you're sure you got everything in the Collective Unconscience (sp?), this means you did not get every figment, cobweb or piece of baggage in the Meat Circus level. Most likely, you missed a figment. Miss one little stinkin' figment and you can't get Rank 100. I had to die a couple times in an attempt to get every figment on the Tunnel of Love rail slide-ride.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

For those who haven't reached the Meat Circus level yet, the best strategy is not to worry about figments the first time through. Get little Oly through the level safely and then go back through the level a second time to get every figment. It'll be much easier and a lot less stressful. Keep consulting your journal to see how many figments you're missing.

When you exit/finish the Tunnel of Love ride, you have to make sure the momentum of your slide at the end doesn't take you right into the Butcher's Tent which is right in front of you (which is what happened to me the first three times through the game). If you enter the Butcher's Tent, you can't go back to the earlier portions of the Meat Circus to find more figments.

At the end of the Tunnel of Love rail slide-ride, to the right side of the tent entrance is the teleporter creature. Slow down at the end of the slide and step off the ride. When you exit the slide-ride, check your journal for missing figments. Use the Teleporter to go back to the first tent so you can pick up any missing figments. If you want to take the Tunnel of Love rail slide-ride again, I believe you have to go through the first tent to get to it.

Nope, I remember distinctly keeping an eye on my journel to make sure I got every single figment. I can't remember the number now, but I know I got all of them in the meat circus level. I've since uninstalled the game, but if I'm lucky, I didn't delete, the samegame file, so i'll check back, but I really don't think I've missed anything. The only thing I can think of that I missed was that one brain, but whatever.

Archived