Home

Get ready for Zed!

Char Ell

I thought of Canadians when I first read the name of LucasArts' new game editor, Zed. :p

From a recent Gamasutra article reporting on LucasArts' Chris Williams presentation at Game Developers Conference London:

Williams focused on "what can we do to be really changing the gameplay experience" at LucasArts, and concentrated initially on the recent re-organization of ILM and LucasArts to work closer together, discussing "how George [Lucas] really sees the companies converging".

ILM, LucasArts Convergence Discussed

Williams touched on Zeno, ILM's internal framework which is the pipeline for the War Of The Worlds movie pipeline, and explained that Zed, LucasArts' next-gen game editor, is created as a game development pipeline within Zeno, including a unified asset management system. He indicated that a WYSIWYG real-time preview is the next step within Zeno and Zed, making game development even easier.

A lot of the article is a rehash of the stuff that those of us that pay attention to this kind of news already have heard about, namely euphoria and digital molecular matter. But this was the first I've heard about LA's new game development platform. So does anybody think we can talk Peter Hirschmann into giving Fred Tetra a gander at making a mod tool for Zed? :naughty:

This part of the article also caught my attention.

In the next part of the session, Williams explains the LucasArts mandate when the company refocused in 2004: "Focus on character and story".
After I read that I thought to myself, "Crimony! The TSL team must have missed that memo." :D

Just joking people! I really don't want to start another "LEC vs. Obsidian blame game for TSL" thread.

Archived