Home

Walkthrough?

SuperTash!

Hi! :D I was just interested in knowing how many of you had to look at a walkthrough or hints to get through the game, and at which points? I had to cheat a couple of times, at the tree pump thing, at the door lock part (in the underwater place) and I thinnnk during something to do with the betting stub. But some puzzles in the game are pretty hard, and I was kind of young :snear: My brother never looks at the walkthroughs for any games...

How about you?

Although we're going back some years here, I think the bits I was so frustrated with that I needed a walkthrough were the Petrified Forest's hidden door in the ground, the fake cat ticket thingy, and of course the Meche vault door. :(

Grim Fandango was my very first adventure game, so I cheated A LOT. I think I solved maybe up to five puzzles on my own and used a walkthrough for everything else. I was new in the genre, so I didn't realise what a huge mistake I was making.

In general, I tend to get very frustrated when I get stuck in games. I miss the old times when the only way to get hints was to read gaming magazines and pray that the current issue included hints for your problem. Otherwise you were stuck for months. Internet has made me too impatient.

When I was playing Broken Sword 4, I lost my Internet access for a few days. It was brilliant to know that I couldn't get hints and would have to solve everything on my own. I hadn't felt that kind of satisfaction for a while.

Same here (even though I solved a little more than five puzzles) and I too get easily frustrated when I don't know what to do. Sadly, walkthroughs are quite addictive so I ended up using them more than I really needed, and I really regret that now. :(

Exactly! :( Once I give in to looking at a walkthrough once, it's sort of like well I've already messed up my chances of finishing the game myself, might as well do it again and again and again...

My older brother is especially adamant about not cheating - but I think the only game he's really never looked at hints for was Flight of the Amazon Queen. Grim Fandango is pretty hard compared to most games (like Monkey Island) isn't it, or is that just my imagination?

Yeah, it's a pretty hard adventure game. I'm not surprised Naomi used a walkthrough if it was her first.

I guess I was fairly practised as I'd been playing the Monkey Island games eight years earlier, plus the Broken Swords when they came out. There's a kind of groove you get into with adventure games. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I started using the walkthrough when I got stuck on the roof in year 1. I didn't know how to get rid of the pigeons and so my brother found a walkthrough for me. i then went on to complete the game using the walkthrough the ENTIRE way through!!!!!Lol!!! I used the walkthrough about three more times until I knew the game off by heart!!! I've written my own walkthrough now and it's being posted on the Department Of Death website. My brother also hates using walkthroughs and always advises me against using them! Just the other day I completed Sam And Max using the walkthrough whole length of the game!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While I'll have to dig in my mind for how many times I used the walkthrough, but the last one I remember was for the stupidest thing. I was stuck trying to figure out how to go into the dark areas of the sewers on the 4th year until I looked at the walkthrough and learned I had to grind somebody's bones to find a trail. Then I thought "how the hell can i grind anything?" Yeah, my initial thought was to use the ice grinder, but it always pissed me off because I couldn't pick it up. It was only until I looked at the control menu of the game and remembered "U" is for using objects and "P" is for picking them up.

This pissed me off soooo much. Throughout the entire game all I used was U because it both used AND picked up objects. I could have gotten through that section without a walkthrough if the game designers just reserved picking up things to the button P. BAHH!

well, I'll be back for more stories.

On my first playthrough I had to use a walkthrough, well UHS, for that puzzle in the petrified forest with the arrow sign, in Rubacava I somehow didn't think to show the beatniks my message from Salvador, and there was at least a couple more times but I can't remember since its been 9 whole years now.

Archived