Home

Star Wars Religion????????

Anakin Skywalker

Nice to meet you and that was an interesting tidbit. What can I say? Our world has become a permanent nuthouse. This whole religion thing has me shaking my head. I know the Jedi code too but my brother and my family use it to play jokes on each other like me trying to cook peas in a can and use the Force to make the flame. We know it's not real.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw a Jedi Fourm where they were talking about how to avoid the Dark Side, and how one should work together to have the Light Side. They ban the word "sith", because saying it, for some reason, will make you fall to the Dark Side, and it is bad. These people pay no attention to SW canon, stating that the Jedi MUST love...even when the SW Movies state clearly that love can lead to the Dark Side. These people also twisted the Jedi Code far too much from what it was presented in K1, because, well, they felt that Jedi Code would lead you to the Dark Side. Basically, "Take my word for it. WE KNOW!"

They also got secret fourms...very, very secret fourms where they talk of great and hidden secrets. Several of the Jedi do believe in God (he's the one that made the Force, after all), and at least one was talking about his battle with demons. They mostly sit around and talk about the future when a unified world government will form a Jedi Academcy for their good work.

Believe it or not, there is also an actual Sith Order. However, this Sith Order was formed as a response to the Jedi Order and serves to make fun of them and troll them, taking itself less seriously than these "Self Proclaimed Jedi". I'm proud to say that I am a "Worm" of this Sith Order!

:p

is this the site:

http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/

Egad!

Nope, that's not the site I'm talking about. Sorry. I'm trying to get the URL of that Jedi Order, as well as prehaps that Sith Order as well, but I can confirm that url is not it.. Still, my experience with one Jedi Order does indicate that one should be willing to step far, far away from this religion.

Personally i don´t worship any god or something, i do believe in finding peace in a religion as well as finding yourself. George Lucas made a film which changed the world. If some guy thought of making it a religion and actually believing in it, you shouldn´t make fun of them.

The romans killed a great deal of people just for believing in god, and now look, is the one of the greatest religions in the world, the one more powerful in our part of the world.

I´m not saying that this religion will ever be as great as catholicism or opus day but i think it should be respected as any other religion.

(sorry for the spelling mistakes if there are some, i´m form Argentina, we speak spanish)

I know that George Lucas took various eastern philosophies and idealogies when he developed the Jedi. To be honest and frank, many of those tenements hold true to our conceptions of morality, compassion, tolerance and the like. That was what Lucas created the Jedi for. I know I get the jokes about how it is fantasy when I try to explain certain aspects to people but I look at it from an anthropological perspective. Religion is described as a set of symbols and motivations. No where does it say that it is restricted to the three monotheistic religions. It does say that it entails a belief system. I said this on the religion thread in response to the believers in science. They believe in the explaining power of science so by definition, science is a religion. The people believe in the eastern philosophies and they associate symbols and the like with it so it can be a religion. Granted that they refer to lightsabers and like is albeit disturbing but the philosophic principles people with morality believe in are a common characteristic even in the montheistic religions. Allah, Yahweh or Jehovah and God within their respective texts speak of love, compassion and tolerance. What is so different about the principles of Buddha, Confucius or Taoism? The Wiccan belief in the connection with nature?

Most of what you say holds a valid point, but... but... it's Star Wars! You have to admit that it's more than a little weird, to say the least.

Oh, right - and science is science, religion is religion; science=facts, religion=belief. Two different things, if you ask me, but that's just a little something off-topic and I'm ending it now because I don't want this thread to turn into another ''religious vs. atheists'' thread.

Because they try to use the "Force", I mean Star Wars is based on the truth somewhat, but their is no "Force" that anyone can use.
We don't completely understand all the physics of our universe yet, to completely rule out the possibility of a Force like energy field. :)

There is theory out there that quantum entanglement and vacuum energy(or zero point energy) might explain the Force.

Most of what you say holds a valid point, but... but... it's Star Wars! You have to admit that it's more than a little weird, to say the least.

I did say that was strange. :xp:

Oh, right - and science is science, religion is religion; science=facts, religion=belief. Two different things, if you ask me, but that's just a little something off-topic and I'm ending it now because I don't want this thread to turn into another ''religious vs. atheists'' thread.

I'm not turning it into that, you are :xp:

What I was saying was that science can be considered a religion. I know you yourself believe in the scientific method. I am merely stating that by the definition that anthropologists use to characterize religion, science falls into that category. Science uses symbols and it is a motivation. Anthropology is a science as well with its own symbols like Olduvai Gorge and Lucy therefore it can be deemed a religion. You can believe in facts and theories, theories having more explaining power than facts since facts can be changed, and there things that represent it. A symbol is not necessarily like a picture of a broken arrow or something like that. SYmbols can be inanimate and animate objects. If you believe these things then you have just admited to a faith in a religion in your case, science.

I am not trying to turn it into a debate thread. Rather I am trying to point out that on an anthropological level, they are not wrong or anything like that. I was also trying to show that eastern philosophy is prevalent in western society be you atheist or a monotheist. Really I was trying to show that hey they may be crazy and don't differentiate between fantasy and reality but they do have 'religion' based upon the definition which was developed by Geertz, great guy. I believe in the eastern philosophies of comapssion and serentiy and blah, blah, so in a sense I too am a Jedi and any of who who have a sense of morality are Jedi too. I just don't call myself that because I follow Christian doctrine, a different topic and one I won't go into.

Lucas based the Force off of the three main people, God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. The Jedi is a symbol of Christianiy, the Sith are a symbol of Satanists, and the Grey Jedi/ Commoners are the Lost Souls
There is no god in the Force, there is no Jesus, unless you are talking about that traitor, Anakin Skywalker in EP:III ROTS.

Well, I don't know of the Holy Spirit.

There is also no satan in the Force.

The is Force neutral there isn't no inherent preference for good or evil choices.

Oh, you have so much to learn, Lucas said himself that he based it off of the Three.... and the off of Satan, but I don't remember when or where.

I know what he said, but that isn't what is presented in the movies.

There is no satan or god in the Force, that is presented in the all the movies .

When you say based off of you mean the inheret qualities right? The strange thing is that most peope pick up on the eastern philosophy like the idea that there is no death, there is the Force. True you can draw implications of an afterlife from Christian text but much of the dialogue is reflective of eastern culture like the lesson of yin and yang or light vs. dark.

When you say based off of you mean the inheret qualities right?
Yes!

The strange thing is that most peope pick up on the eastern philosophy like the idea that there is no death, there is the Force. True you can draw implications of an afterlife from Christian text but much of the dialogue is reflective of eastern culture like the lesson of yin and yang or light vs. dark.

I definitely agree with these implications of eastern philosophy . :)

Archived