Home

JRHockney's OJP Enhanced code changes

JRHockney*

Man our forums have been dead for a while now. in order to breath some life back into OJP for a bit, I made a ton of code changes that will hopefully balance what we have so far and also adding a few things. I tried to think of every cheap exploit we have and do something aboiut them in a balanced fashion without recking features. I am not a very good coder at all so alot of the new ways of balancing features that I chose were chosen because I couldn't get other ways to work :p I Like the end result though.

I don't think anything I did was a hack. Its all based on how the code is already set up. Some of the features in my code were already at the repository when I updated so I cant take credit for everything. Also, this is by no means an official beta release eventhough there are some official features in it from the repository. I do think that alot of what I have in here should be the way to balance things though, but the community will have to decide that.

EDIT: heres a new one that is mentioned at the bottom of the thread.

http://files.filefront.com//;6848412;;/ From Jacks post. This one has mindtrick working I believe.

If you guys want to play with maxstates anims, use one of his old cfgs for them. I took them outbecause without them, the stall bugs in Makashi and juyo don't appear (I use the ones old anims from 0.0.9e). This is just a temporary fix until a good coder or animator can figure out whats really wrong with them. IF the server has the default anims, people joining who have max's anims MIGHT be able to use them without the bugs but I'm not sure.

Now for the new changes and features.

New addtions:

- SFX_Sabers!!! You can turn them on and off with a wonderful new cvar that Lathain made. THe Cvar is: SFX_Sabers 1 or 0. Warning: a person on the server who is using default sabers will see the SFX_sabers messed up and vice versa because they are different code. Also, RGB sabers dont work with the SFX_Sabers. I love how much better these make the combat look.

- Single saber style differences!! I based these on some older forum ideas as well as some of my own. They are as follows:

Blue: 12 DP damage and a multiplier for reducing parry damage by 25% to yourself up to 3 times. Based on Maxstates old idea and how Soreau is suppose to be a defensive style. I lowered the DP to 12 to cut nerf of blue's hacksaw ability a bit.

Aqua: 14 DP damage and it does a little mishap damage for hitting someone and not getting parried. Based on Count dookus aggressive Makashi and overwhelming opponents with speed and percision.

Yellow: 15 DP damage and a slightly faster mishap regen. Based on the idea that shii cho is a "balanced form" :p I also wanted to give yellow a more benifitial perk.

purple: 16 DP damage and slghtly faster FP regen. Since juyos a powerful form and sith like it alot, I figured FP regen was the best way to give them more swing endurance and force power usage without overpowering it.

Red: 17 DP damage and a multiplier for attackfakes hitting without being parried that adds 10% DP damage each time. THis is based on max's old idea as well and on djem so's power style.

The multipliers seemed to work ok based on my testing, but this is my first time using loops in C code so I'm not sure.

- I retooled saber reflecting so it works a little better. Now you just have to hold attack to reflect the bolts more accurately. Sadly, level 1 and 2 still arent very accurate, but level 3 usually goes to were you are aiming. You an't reflect while running though. I still think this could work better though, but I'm not sure what I can do to the code to make it so since most of it is beyond my understanding.

- I expanded the mishap range at which heavybounces happen so they show up more often. I also created a higher mishap level in the heavybounce range were only there are you vulnerable force powers. The force vulnerability leve is a little over 75% full.

I wanted to add stuff to the skill menu myself, but I couldnt find the code to do it. Can anyone help me here?

The following new fixes and features were already at the repository:

Version 0.0.9s:

New Features:

Stun Shield (StunShield):

- Force field item now acts like stun shield. Enemies that touch the field are knocked to the ground.

Weapon System:

Misc:

- Dropped weapons now have the ammo amount that their owners had when the weapon was dropped.

Improvements/Fixes:

CoOp:

- Fixed time limits for CoOp maps.

Experience System:

- Fixed problem where skill points weren't being saved between gametypes.

Fatigue System:

- Fatigue in Siege now behaves the same as in the other gametypes.

Flamethrower:

- Boosted fuel cost to 3. (JRHockney: this helped alot)

Improved Seeker Item:

- Fixed problem with seekers not attacking other players outside of CoOp.

Ledge Grab:

- You can now grab onto ledges created by solid non-brush entities such as a misc_model_breakable.

Saber Combat System:

Blocking:

- Having Saber Defense 3 allows players to block back attacks without the extra DP cost.

- Players can now saber block while in a stumble.

Saber fix:

- Saber will no longer fall though some solid objects when thrown.

Ledge Grab:

- You can now grab onto ledges created by solid non-brush entities such as a misc_model_breakable

Sentry Gun (SentryGun):

- Can now have multiple sentry guns.

- Doesn't target player's seekers.

- Has larger ammo supply.

- Doesn't self-destruct from old age.

Now for my new balancing features and fixes:

- Based on razors suggestion, I made attack parries (pushparries/reposits) done by requiring hold both attack AND alt attack while parrying. This seemed to help those random parries from not happening alot. Hopefully we won't see any other side effects to it and it wont overpower doing attackfakes.

- I made running cut DP regen in half for anyone with a saber. This seems to have helped make normal guns alot more useful against jedi while allowing jedi to stand there and reflect if they want. I tried to make it range based in general, but I couldn't figure it out and this seemed to help enough for the moment.

- I created a feature where gunners lose DP while running at double the rate of the DP regen. Once they get to critical, whether they have absorb 3 or not, they are vulnerable to forcepowers. THis allows for both quake 3 like combat of running gunners and MB2 style of walking to be less vulnerable. Gunners can just switch to melee to avoid the drain I think. I tried to make it in the air too, but it didn't work in my code; although since regen stops anyways its not that big of a deal.

- Just so pure gunners aren't too badly force spammed, I made it so that Jedi can only use force powers if they have over 75% DP, so gunners can shoot them 2 or 3 times while their running or use a det to stop them from using force.

- I made jedi or melee people vulnerable to force while they use flamethrower so they are penalized for binding and avoiding the penalties of not being a gunner or hybrid gunner.

- I tried to make falmethrower drain at twice the rate if someone tries to use ito with lightning, but I havent tested it out yet. The flamethrower drains so fast now anyways its really not that big of a problem anymore.

- I made getting hit while kicking cost *1.5 the normal damage and took away the ability to parry in kick. I did this because I still wanted kick useful for two on one, but didn't want it to be so spammable.

- I also made a *1.5 damage for hitting someone in a stumble since the repository code made it possible to block in stumble, but didnt add anyother penalty.

Now for the bad news. Since I didn't have the patience to reinstall all my repository code and my visual studios just to get my windows headers back, and then figureout why the heck it didnt compile originally (which I probably couldn't figure out anyways), I took out the newer crash protection code just so I could get to work on this stuff. I havent really experienced any differences with it gone though. I'll probably get around to it eventually, but taking a chance of losing my changes to do something that is no fun and I don't even know if I can do is not worth the risk.

Also I could not fix the lightning mishap problems and a few others.

Well, I think that's everything. I'll probably think of something else I did later though and add it here. :p I hope this will keep you guys busy until Razor has the time to do more work here.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Uploading site never produced a link after I uploaded it but the other two sites worked. Hopefully one of them will work for you.

Here's those files for filefront: http://files.filefront.com//;6577624;;/

and http://files.filefront.com//;6577643;;/

Here's the links for mooload: http://www.mooload.com/new/file.php?file=files/210107/1169363962/ojp_enhanceddlls_009+jon%27s+changes.pk3

and http://www.mooload.com/new/file.php?file=files/210107/1169364060/SFX_Saber+stuff.zip

EDIT: ah ha! I finally got file front to expect my entire zip file. Heres a more complete package: http://files.filefront.com//;6577886;;/

SFX_Sabers!!! You can turn them on and off with a wonderful new cvar that Lathain made. THe Cvar is: SFX_Sabers 1 or 0. Warning: a person on the server who is using default sabers will see the SFX_sabers messed up and vice versa because they are different code. Also, RGB sabers dont work with the SFX_Sabers. I love how much better these make the combat look.

^ Wait WHAT?!

This can't be. I explicitly designed it so that if you set SFXSabers, you would see SFXSabers no matter what anyone else on the server had.

And RGB don't work with my SFX code? Okay, I messed up badly somewhere... especially since I could've sworn Max made them work.

EDIT: Errr... Jon?

In your dll pack... where's the cgame? All of the SFX code was cgame code, therefore you need a changed cgame DLL if you want it to work. This is why you have that bug in the servers I suspect: they don't have the cgame code required. I would also like to see your cg_players.c.

EDIT: Errr... Jon?

In your dll pack... where's the cgame? All of the SFX code was cgame code, therefore you need a changed cgame DLL if you want it to work. This is why you have that bug in the servers I suspect: they don't have the cgame code required. I would also like to see your cg_players.c.

Aww crap, no wonder it wasn't working for other players on the server :( I'll make a new one after work with a few more bug fixes as well.

Alright heres the fixed version: http://files.filefront.com//;6589212;;/

I'll put it up top too.

bug fixes:

- made sure the cgame code was in there so the SFX_sabers work

- fixed the bug with Juyo were it didnt have a faster fp gain like it was suppose to.

- Made the dual saber spin and staff saber spin moves do only *.75 damage like the lunge since they seem to hit several times per usage as Max showed me. hopefully this will be a good enough fix for now.

And Lathain, I will give you my cgplayers file next time I see you on AIM.

ok i havent tested everything yet but i wanted to give u my opinion while it was still fresh in my mind

1. I loved the new run thing for gunners it made it loads easier to hit the running gunners insted of the normal 3/4 swings

2. i like the stun shield its pritty usefull for a quick surprise to slow down people in say CTF now they fust cant stand there as easily and destroy the shield

hope to have more opinions after some more in depth testing as its exams this week and my time is limited

I get this error:

Corrupt JPEG data: premature end of data segment

Shutting down OpenGL subsystem

Unsupported marker type 0x82

:(

aww crap. I'm not even sure what that means. Make sure theres nothing strange in your based or Enhanced folder that could potentially conflict, especially files that have dlls in them (though that would mainly be a problem in your Enhanced folder I think). Does any body else have that problem?

• 2 weeks later...

well, I've been able to test my code changes with several people and I must say I think I've struck a very good balance between Jedi and gunner combat and so do the people I've tested with. I really wish I knew why the templar server started crashing with these changes :( I'm assuming it has more to do with corrupt files though. I'll try to post an updated version when I'm at my computer.

I also love the more recent changes I made to the saber combat as well. Aside from the changes I've already posted about, I also made it so that those quick pauses for every hit and block or parry only happen when you block without parrying and only happen on your swings when you are lower than 1/2 of your DP level. This looks the most movie realistic I've seen yet and really allow for both old trilogy looking combat as well as new trilogy without making things unbalanced. In fact, this helps offensive combat just enough to be balanced against defensive.

I hope we can consider keeping some or all of these changes for the actual mod. I'm still trying to figure out how to add things to the skill menu, but I'm kind clueless. Does anybody know how to do that? That lightning mishap bar thing also really needs to be fixed and thats out of my knowledge level.

well, I've been able to test my code changes with several people and I must say I think I've struck a very good balance between Jedi and gunner combat and so do the people I've tested with. I really wish I knew why the templar server started crashing with these changes :( I'm assuming it has more to do with corrupt files though. I'll try to post an updated version when I'm at my computer.

I also love the more recent changes I made to the saber combat as well. Aside from the changes I've already posted about, I also made it so that those quick pauses for every hit and block or parry only happen when you block without parrying and only happen on your swings when you are lower than 1/2 of your DP level. This looks the most movie realistic I've seen yet and really allow for both old trilogy looking combat as well as new trilogy without making things unbalanced. In fact, this helps offensive combat just enough to be balanced against defensive.

I hope we can consider keeping some or all of these changes for the actual mod. I'm still trying to figure out how to add things to the skill menu, but I'm kind clueless. Does anybody know how to do that? That lightning mishap bar thing also really needs to be fixed and thats out of my knowledge level.

I'm glad you're happy with the changes. They sound good. We can talk about intergrating them into OJP when I have time. Unfortunately, it's crunch time here and it's also hectic with wedding planning and such.

As such, we're probably going to have to wait until I have more free time before we can talk. I'm guessing about a week or so. Just harass me (thru email) then to remind me then. :)

Unfortunately, it's crunch time here and it's also hectic with wedding planning and such.

Wedding?! Man, we really need to catch up! LOL!

Btw, I have mindtrick back in my code and I've almost got the repeater/clone rifle and the disruptor on the skill menu but for some reason, it makes the skill menu not appear when I select the skill menu on the root menu, and makes the root menu disappear as well when I select it. I think I have all my references right to the repeater and disruptor in the source code right, but this happens as soon as I reference them on the ingame_playerforce.menu. I do know that it happpens at the "ownerdraw UI_FORCE_RANK_....." area, but that means the problem is somewhere in the source code and I can't find it. Anyone who can code have any ideas?

1. Refer to references to one of the UI_FORCE_RANK_ for one of the new skills.

2. Refer to SK_ for one of the new skills.

3. Make sure you update the forcerankdef (or something like that) so that the the skill is actually updated on the UI side.

4. Refer to one of the changesets for one of the new skills that I added. In theory, several of the changesets should relate to just the addition of a new skill.

Archived