Home

"Redemption" quest fix

Cryptobionika

It is fairly easy to fix the "redemption" quest, but it's quite beyond my possibilities. I have learned to edit inventory files (UTC; UTP) and scripts (NCS). But what requires to be edited in order to fix the "redemption" quest is dialogue (DLG) files. This quest is being triggered in dialogues with Dantooine docking bay mechanic or administratoe Adare in Khoonda, but I believe modders know this, so it's time to get to the point.

What do I know:

1) Quest has the first journal entry, but does not have second and third (third is the last and there are two entries for both, light and dark side)

2) This quest goes hand in hand with quest "Khoonda defenses", because the last quest entry says for light and dark side:

Light side:

"90) You've given great aid to the people of Dantooine. And Terena Adare won't let your heroism be forgotten. You've done much to restore good will on Dantooine towards the Jedi order."

Dark side:

"91) You are largely responsible for the mercenaries taking over Khoonda and slaying Administrator Adare. Whatever Dantooine settlers survive the mercenary occupation of their planet will surely spread word of a Jedi's involvement in their downfall, further tarnishing the image people have of the Jedi order."

As we can see this quest is tied to "Khoonda defenses" quest.

All three missing missing entries (except of first, which triggers quest and exists in the game) would be:

First (exists):

"10) Jedi have an extremely bad reputation on Dantooine, even worse than it is in the rest of the galaxy. The secret Jedi Enclave on Dantooine provoked a brutal Sith occupation during the Jedi Civil War. If that reputation isn't redeemed, it could lead to problems down the road."

First; variant 2 (exists):

"20) You've revealed yourself as a Jedi to the wrong person. This may complicate your efforts on Dantooine."

Second (cut from the game):

"30) You've made some tangible progress towards restoring the Dantooine people's faith in the Jedi."

Third; light side (cut from the game):

"90) You've given great aid to the people of Dantooine. And Terena Adare won't let your heroism be forgotten. You've done much to restore good will on Dantooine towards the Jedi order."

Third; dark side (cut from the game):

"91) You are largely responsible for the mercenaries taking over Khoonda and slaying Administrator Adare. Whatever Dantooine settlers survive the mercenary occupation of their planet will surely spread word of a Jedi's involvement in their downfall, further tarnishing the image people have of the Jedi order."

So, as I mentioned before, fixing this quest would be quite simple for someone who knows how to edit (DLG) files. Whenever I try to edit them, they get cirrupted.

Fixing:

If you are using KOTOR Tool, then when you open a (DLG) file and click on every phrase PC or NPC says, you can also program a quest to be related to the phrase.

For example, we open "terena.dlg" file, click on every phrase, then switch to a tab "plot/quest", if my memory serves me, and in quest name we enter :redemption" and under it, we enter a number of journal entry:

30 would be "You've made some tangible progress..."

90 - "You've given great aid to the people of Dantooine..."

91 - "You are largely responsible for the mercenaries taking over Khoonda..."

Every number that goes after 90 automatically puts journal entry into "Completed quests" section.

So only thing that is required to do is to insert journal entires into phrases:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

redemption 90 to Terena's "We are a humble community, and this conflict has greatly diminished our resources. I hope this reward will be sufficient." (You defended Khoonda and militia men say "I wish I was a Jedi", so you purely redeemed reputation of the Jedi);

redemption 91 to Azkul's "I was going to make it a painless death. But you've been much more difficult than you had to be. Now you're going to pay." (He kills Adare and I am responsible for mercenaries taking over Khoonda, just as journal entry says);

redemption 30 to Zherron's "All right, then we've got a lot to do." (He says this phrase before the mercenary attack, after you tell him you are ready to finalize your battle plans. I think journal entry 30 should be put here. 30-th is: "You've made some tangible progress towards restoring the Dantooine people's faith in the Jedi". So if I prepared Khoonda for the attack, or simply if I, Jedi, stand by them, theoretically it could give them some faith, no? At least I don't know a better place to put this entry to. And no, playing on a dark side, for mercenaries you don't get this journal entry, because you certanly ain't helping people).

Ok, I think that's about all of it. Only three entries should be put into three dialogue phrases. Not hard, I've done it in 3 minutes. But as I said, dialogues get currupted after, I don't know why. But I know people edited (DLG) files before, so it IS possible. I just don't know what causes the corruption in them...

Conclussion: And finally, the conclussion. The work is simple I think and it shouldn't take much time. I would greatly appreciate anybody who'd take it. I created a patch for TSL that fixes 27 major mistakes and makes the game pretty playable, but this unfinished quest bugs me horribly. It's the only thing I can't fix. So you can fix it, or simply point me on a problem that makes game dialogues to corrupt every time I try to edit anything in them. In any case, I'd greatly appreciate the hint also. Thank you very much!

P.S. Sorry for such a long description, may take time to read. But look at the bright side - I've explained everything that needs to be done, I think, so you wouldn't spend any time figuring it out!

I'm well aware of Restoration Project. But they won't release the fixes separately. And when (if) KOTOR III will be released, their mod can conflict with KOTOR III's storyline, and I may have to delete it. I need standalone fixes for KOTOR II. As I mentioned, I have created a patch with 27 fixes to major problems. This is the last one I need.

Oh, hey, and thanks for the "welcome" part! Nice to know you're welcome.

Okies... Have you asked over at Team-Gizka's forums for help? The bugs are individually assigned to different people so if you could get in contact with the person who fixed the redemption sidequest they could tell you what they did to fix it. Sorry I can't be of more help.

They made it pretty clear that they won't give in anything that has connection with the mod separately. It's their policy. I could ask the person who fixed it of course, but since it's their policy, I really doubt that would lead anywhere. But I may try, thanks for the advice.

Added:

Many people asked in Team Gizka's forum about this quest. And always the same answer: "The fix to this quest will be included in the mod". That's about all of it.

Nobody seems to be interested in making this mod. Perhaps I should just wait a little longer.

Edit: Ok, I leveled myself up to a new level of modding. I found out why the dialogs were getting corrupted. It's because KOTOR Tool ain't fully compatible with TSL, as I read in one thread. So I used tk102's DLGEditor and everything works just fine. At least on the first time I checked. If everything works fine indeed, soon I'll come up with some text fixes for both KOTORs. Nice.

P.S. My eternal thanks to you, tk102!

Alright, I've fixed the quest. It finishes normal way, for both - light and dark side. Since I don't see an option to upload my files in forum and I don't have an account at any other site, I uploaded my mod to rapidshare. It is packed in self-extracting SFX archive (because not everybody has WinRAR and other programs alike). Just unpack it, and read the "Readme" file on installation/uninstallation instuctions.

The file will be deleted in 30 days, so you are most welcome to spread this fix anywhere you want, as long as you give the credits. I will re-upload it on some other site, so it won't expire. But for now, feel free to download and share. Here it is:

snip/url]

By the way, CSI: Nihilus, you asked if there is a mod for "redemption" quest. No, there isn't. "Redemption" quest goes step in step with the main Dantooine quests and is fully related to the "Defense of Khoonda" quest. This quest wasn't even planned to be something standalone.

Thank you so much, Master Zionosis! So nice to know someone notices and values your progress!

I knew most part, but it was a bit hard to do because I didn't know there were several (DLG) files with the same name in different modules. But when I saw it, I realized that I have to "lock" the fixed dialogue files in one module. Then I figured out how to create module files, and the rest was easy.

Arátoeldar, the quest isn't standalone, as I mentioned. Just don't want anybody to be disapointed if they expected restoration of some missing quest. Like CSI: Nihilus asked if I have the mod for the quest. There isn't supposed to be any. It is all related to "Khoonda Defenses" quest. There wasn't any cut content really, just some missing entries. I simply inserted these entries into dialogue files and put them into a module. It isn't a big merit.

Thanks for attention and replies! I think I'll go on fixing some stuff in KOTOR and TSL. I have some more ideas.

Qliveur, I have a patch for both, KOTOR (is not yet finished) and TSL with some fixes of mine that were never released. I'm looking into releasing TSL patch now, but I used some other people's ideas in fixing, so I am consulting with some people from Holowan Labs if I have the right to post it in public. I haven't written detailed description for the TSL patch yet, but here is the list of the things I have fixed (Many with other people's help. Most of my fixes were inspired by their mods :)):

-Atton's Dialogue Light/Dark Side Points Fix

-Cyan Lightsaber Crystal Fix

-Dxun Equation Puzzle Fix

-Escaped Criminals Quest Fix

-Force Crush Power Sound Fix

-Fuel For Telos Quest Fix

-Handmaiden Training Cutscene Fix

-Hidden Compartment Fix

-Inaccessible Tienn Tubb's Shop Fix

-Influence Increase/Decrease Script Fix

-Jedi Master Rendezvous Fix

-Korriban Vision: Kreia's Cutscene Fix

-Korriban Vision: Kreia's Lightsaber Fix

-Korriban Vision: Revan's Lightsaber Fix

-Lassavou's Remains Yield His Power Cell Fix

-Lootra's Dialogue Influence Fix

-Mira's Spacesuit Fix

-Nihilus - Visas Low Resolution Cutscene Fix

-Party Experience Gain Fix

-Redemption Quest Fix

-Robes Shadow Animation Fix

-Rubat Lightsaber Crystal Fix

-Skippable Mebla Dialogue Fix

-Spacesuit Movement Fix

-Starport Visa Trade Fix

-T3-M4's Dialogue Influence Fix

-T3-M4's Missing Dialogue Sounds Fix

-Telos Academy Imprisonment Cutscene Fix

-Trayus Academy Sith Lords \ Dark Jedi \ Sith Marauders Clothing Fix

-Visas' Dialogue: Force Sight Power Gain Fix

I'll send the patch via e-mail or upload on some independent service if I won't be able to release it in public and will give links in PM. I think that is allowed. Fixes are ready, installer is finished, I only need to write a description and find a better way to release it. and yes, I WILL release it very, very soon. In the next few days. Thanks for your interest.

By the way, if you have other suggestions on the stuff I could fix, feel free to tell me. Better in PM, since this topic isn't about the patch.

Added:

Alright, for those of you who is interested, the thread about the patch is here:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=2259621#post2259621

I may well consider playing TSL before the restorstion project comes out (I have held out against such tempations thus far). Would this be compatible with mods that have been made for TSL?

It's compatible with other mods, yes. If you consider playing TSL and bugs hold you back, I suggest you look here:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=175213

This patch contains 29 more fixes plus to this one.

I may well consider playing TSL before the restoration project comes out (I have held out against such temptations thus far). Would this be compatible with mods that have been made for TSL?

I highly suggest you play TSL at least once before TSLRP comes out. This way you can appreciate all the hard work Team Gizka has put into it's project.

Archived