Home

The Force Unleashed?

Darkkender

I've been looking over the forums for any section devoted to the upcoming LA game "The Force Unleashed". I'm curious if there are any plans in the works to setup a section ahead of time for this new LA game or is lucasforums going to wait untill after the game is released?

I'm hoping an Admin might chime in and or other members can pickup a conversation of what they know about the upcoming LA game.

I'm fine that they are introducing it to console systems however I'm nowhere near fine with it being limited to consoles and not for PC. All of you posting here are using a PC and yet many of you feel that the only thing worth playing a game on is a console that limits your usage of controls to an average of 6 buttons give or take a couple. Not to mention the unnatural position the controllers put your hand in. It is no wonder more people are getting carple tunnel syndrom these days.

I'm glad to say that I think the age of consoles is finally coming to a slow halt. More and more people are realizing the potential of the PC. Hopefully, LA will realize this as well and decide to make it for PCs.

If only that statement were true. When you walk into a videogame store over 90% is dedicated to console gaming. The market as a whole has become filled with the demand of console gaming. The drawback is that as less games are developed for people to run on top end computers the less quality games endup getting produced for the market as a whole. If "The Force Unleashed" is LA big jump to the console gaming industry then we might have to accept the fact that less cool things are coming to our PC.

For all of you X-Box fanatics just remember that your X-Box is a stripped down underpowered PC that's only purpose is to play games. The fact that many of you who are not yet out of High School will eventually find yourself owning a PC and wishing then that the Console market didn't kill PC gaming if that is where the market decides to completely head.

If only that statement were true. When you walk into a videogame store over 90% is dedicated to console gaming. The market as a whole has become filled with the demand of console gaming. The drawback is that as less games are developed for people to run on top end computers the less quality games endup getting produced for the market as a whole. If "The Force Unleashed" is LA big jump to the console gaming industry then we might have to accept the fact that less cool things are coming to our PC.

Yea, that's also true. When I walk into my local EB Games, everything is about consoles, then one little stand off in the corner is for PC. I think I'm just letting my wishful thinking take over reality. It seems pretty selfish of LA to completely abandon their original fan-base just to meet with "popular demand".

• 2 weeks later...

Darkkender you sound like your hardcore console hater lol

But I personally love the "pop in a game and play" thing consoles have. I love not having tons of problems with installing/config./updating/moding/patchs/ect. to deal with just to play the game. I love not having to update my system as much as well. I love the controls being simple and easy to use 6 buttons is a fine number in my book. But I guess every person is differnt. Just don't hate and quit QQing that SW:FU either hasn't been announced or isn't coming to PC. =P

I'm not a hardcore console hater just mostly that way. I've been a long time video game player going back to the old Commodore 64 and the Atari game systems. This history gives me an insight into the potential and limitations built into the console market. My hate comes from the complete disregard for a video game playing market that can outperform the console market when it comes to quality and speed. Also the PC has the ability for a wider key selection which gives any game built for it a more versatile play ability. Now the advantages are as you listed above. My growing distaste has come solidly from the fact that the PC market has become largely ignored and underserved in the recent years. The fact that developers have begun to sellout the market that has long been there bread and butter the fans. From a business perspective the console market has a quicker turnover of games not too mention poorer quality and less content tend to go into your console games. While this sounds horrible it is fine for the average console gamer as most of these gamers are also the ones that 3 months after purchase will return these games for in-store credit and get a new game or purchase a new game every 3 weeks so from a business perspective this becomes very lucrative for the game developer as they know they can put out games with less content for a cheaper cost and turn a higher profit as there game will be in demand for a short time and they'll have a new game out by the time the consumer wants something new and cool. Meanwhile your average PC gamer wants more content and generally more out of there game. Because of this PC games have higher production demands and production costs. Because it is easier to go for cheap and easy with higher profit potential more businesses are selling the PC down the river.

Now I don't blame the developers for there higher profit desires. I do however pity the console market as well as the developers. The reason being that the more the PC market is sold down the river the less interest occurs in aftermarket modding. This aftermarket modding like many of us at this community participate in does something more than create something neat and cool. Many of your now big name developers in the gaming industry got there start in modding. That means that as your PC market dwindles so does the interest in developing games or playing with game creation. I can recall high school and a class of 20 or so kids out of a school population of 3000 or so that were into computers and creating programs and games. Our interest was sparked by games like Doom which gave us easy access to creating our own levels and various mods. While there were those of us that were doing Atari game clones, the largest interest was in PC based modding. As the web became big the number of people taking an interest in programming started to increase drastically. Now in a average school of 3000 nearly 60% of the kids know basic programming of some sort. Of that 60% over half of them have an interest in the game development industry in one way or another. Now many of them maintain that interest and have it encouraged by a PC market that supports them. However my fear is that in another 15 or so years we may see a return of the 20 kids out of 3000 ratio. This is what angers me about the console market glut.

Archived