Home

Problems running Kotor or TSL in Vista....

stingerhs

A lot of older games have problems with multicore processors or singlecores with hyperthreading technology. This usually results in being able to run the game for only a few minutes at a time, or sometimes not even starting at all.

To get around this problem, you need to tell Windows to only use a single core for running your game. This should work for both KotOR 1 and 2 - and other games, too. I learned this trying to get Deus Ex to work...

1. Download ImageCFG, a tool for setting affinity (number of cores to use) on a Windows program.

2. Copy the downloaded imagecfg.exe to your game installation directory (typically C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR )

3. Open a command prompt by pressing Start and typing cmd into the search field.

4. Type cd "C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR" (or substitute your game installation directory). Remember the quotes - they're there to tell Windows to treat the entire path as one unit even though it has a space in "Program Files".

5. Type imagecfg -u swkotor.exe (or substitute your game executable). This tells Windows to run that application in "uniprocessor mode" instead of using all available cores. Note that swkotor.exe is the real game executable - launcher.exe only contains the menu that allows you to start the actual game.

6. Close the command prompt window and launch the game. Your problem should be solved, at least if it was related to having a multicore processor in the first place. :)

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I tried your trick but at the step 5., I got this message in the cmd screen : IMAGECFG: \s switch missing path argument.

Also, an error message appeared indicating that the ImageCFG for Windows NT did not respond...

Re-install the application to the directory?

By the way, I couldn't find the C:\Windows\system32\dllcache map in which I'm supposed to copy the same ImageCFG.exe ... is it a hidden folder?

While running the game, I did get 1 step further and also saw the short piece where Bastila's fighting off a Sith... but then again... crash. Thanks for helping me out.

Are you sure you're typing the imagecfg command correctly? That error message says you used a -s switch instead of -u. If you're unsure, try copying the command from my post. You can paste it in the command window by clicking the right mouse button and selecting Paste.

Alternatively, it could be that Vista's user account control is messing with permissions. Try to repeat the exact same steps, but after typing "cmd" into the search box, press Ctrl+Shift+Alt+Enter. This will open the command prompt with administrator permissions (you'll get a dialog box asking you to give permission for the command).

The instructions on the ImageCFG download page that tell you to copy it to C:\Windows\system32\dllcache, you can ignore. This is just so you can run it from anywhere, not just the folder where you're currently in. Since you're doing this just this once to get one game working, it's not really necessary.

If you do get ImageCFG to work but the game still crashes, your particular crash is probably not related to multicore problems, so you may have to try something else. omnipace posted a pretty comprehensive set of potential solutions on page 3 of this thread.

Also... do you have a multicore processor in the first place? If not, this solution has no effect, because it only fixes crashes resulting from older games not understanding multicore processors. You can check this by right-clicking the "Computer" icon on your desktop or the "Computer" item on the right side of the Start Menu and selecting Properties. On this screen, under the System section, there should be an item entitled "Processor". If doesn't say "dual core", "quad core", "multicore", "hyperthreading" or anything like that, then you have a singlecore processor.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

well i just recently tried to put kotor1 on my new vista comp and i have brand new nvidea card and everything.....after installation it took me to the launcher, patched it a few times, then went to game, after clicking that and waiting for about 45 mins nothing has happened its really confusing me can ne1 give some advice?

You will never belive this. And I don't have an explanation on this neither.

After I installed Microsoft Flight Simlator X Gold Edition.

KotOR is running smoothly, I just can't belive it.

I'm running 32bits Vista Ulitimate.

Like I said, I don't know what happend, but I like it..

• 2 months later...

Hello, I have quite a problem. In kotor, while in the lower city in Taris, my game always crashes after the cutscene with Calo Nord in the second apartments. In addition, in the undercity, after killing all the rakghouls present in the area before entering the sewers, the game crashes as well. I have tried to surpass these matters in a number of ways, but I'm kind of a noob in solving this kind of issue. No matter how basic it is, I probably didn't do it, so please explain all you can. I have installed patch 1.03, the so called patch 1.04 mod (basically a compilation of other mods), the CAT 4.2 fix for the constant crashes (you know, the removal of the atioglxx.dl_ file from the CAT exe. and it's expansion in the kotor install folder.). I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit home premium.

If I missed something, please tell me. As said before, I don't do a lot of this.

(I had already posted this in a separate thread. I hadn't seen this one, I'm sorry.)

Here is the scan hardware:

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=27-03-2009 21:34:11

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v1.03.514077

GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR\

[OS]

Name=WinXP

Version=Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 2

Service Pack=Service Pack 2

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

?:\pagefile.sys=0

[CPU]

CPUCount=1

CPUSpeed=2200

CPUFamily=6

CPUModel=15

CPUStepping=13

CPUVendor=Intel

CPUName=Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=1024

Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=61.08GB

D: (NTFS), UNICODE=865MB

K: (NTFS), UNICODE=33.75GB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=E:\

Drives=HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GSA-H60L

[Video]

Video Card Name=

Video Memory=2048

Desktop Resolution=1680x1050x32 @ 60Hz

DirectX=DirectX (9.0+) (4.09.00.0904)

OpenGL Version=2.1.2

OpenGL Vendor=NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Renderer=GeForce 8400 GS/PCI/SSE2

NVidia Driver=6.14.11.8208

Vid Card Status=Warning

Vid Card Driver Status=Pass

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=@oem38.inf,%cx885.m71d3%;Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1200 (Model 71xxx, Hybrid DVB-T, No FP)

Status=Pass

;Game Options from swkotor.ini

[sound Options]

Sound Init=0

Music Volume=85

Voiceover Volume=85

Sound Effects Volume=85

Movie Volume=100

Force Software=1

EAX=0

Disable Sound=0

Number 3D Voices=16

Number 2D Voices=24

Environment Effects Level=0.60

2D3D Bias=1.50

Environment Effects=1

Environment Effects Nonstreaming=1

Environment Effects Streaming=1

[Game Options]

GUIsInScreenShot=1

EnableScreenShot=0

Reverse Mouse Buttons=0

Hide InGame GUI=0

Use Small Fonts=0

Keyboard Camera Deceleration=2000.000000

Keyboard Camera Acceleration=500.000000

Keyboard Camera DPS=200.000000

Hide Unequippable=0

Tutorial Popups=1

Subtitles=1

Mini Map=1

Floating Numbers=1

Status Summary=1

Enable Mouse Teleporting To Buttons=1

Mouse Sensitivity=33

Auto Level Up NPCs=0

Mouse Look=0

AutoSave=1

Reverse Minigame YAxis=0

Combat Movement=1

Enable Tooltips=1

Difficulty Level=1

TooltipDelay Sec=1.000000

Memory Access=1

Memory Level=1

Disable Movies=0

[Movies Shown]

Movie 0=112

Movie 1=0

Movie 2=0

Movie 3=0

Movie 4=0

Movie 5=0

Movie 6=0

Movie 7=0

Movie 8=0

Movie 9=0

Movie10=0

[Alias]

HD0=.\

OVERRIDE=.\Override

TEMP=.\Temp

MODULES=.\Modules

LOGS=.\Logs

LOCALVAULT=.\LocalVault

DMVAULT=.\DMVault

SERVERVAULT=.\ServerVault

STREAMMUSIC=.\StreamMusic

TEMPCLIENT=.\Tempclient

SAVES=.\saves

CURRENTGAME=.\currentgame

TEXTUREPACKS=.\texturepacks

STREAMWAVES=.\StreamWaves

[Graphics Options]

V-Sync=1

Anisotropy=2

Frame Buffer=1

Anti Aliasing=2

Texture Quality=2

Emitters=1

Grass=1

Soft Shadows=1

Shadows=1

Brightness=57

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=1

RefreshRate=75

Width=1280

Height=1024

[Autopause Options]

Mine Sighted=1

End Of Combat Round=0

Enemy Sighted=1

Party Killed=1

Action Menu=0

New Target Selected=1

[config]

firstrun=0

well i just recently tried to put kotor1 on my new vista comp and i have brand new nvidea card and everything.....after installation it took me to the launcher, patched it a few times, then went to game, after clicking that and waiting for about 45 mins nothing has happened its really confusing me can ne1 give some advice?

It's a problem with SECUrom. Get a no-cd crack.

After scanning through this thread, I have seen this mentioned yet, so I'll post it here.

VERY IMPORTANT:

For those that haven't yet, it's a good idea to download and install the latest DirectX Redistributable Package available here. This will install a full version of DX9.0c alongside DX10 that will not conflict with DX10 in any way. This should help with any DirectX 9 compatibility issues which I believe are the heart of KotOR's problems with Vista. Vista is supposed to provide backward-compatibility with DX9, but I think that it falls short is some areas and this will fix that. The link is for the March 2009 version, so be sure to check for the latest version before downloading. First-time installers are going to want to install the entire redistributable package. Just download the file, extract it to a temporary folder and run the .exe. You can then delete the temporary folder after installation is complete. ;)

Could a mod please put this in the OP?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have finished taris and now im on dantoonie doing the jedi training. i have saved juhani and found the star map. after the breifing from the council i run towards the ebon hawk and i get within entering distance i.e. 5-10foot and the screens goes black and i can do anything besides using alt+f4 to exit (or ctrl+alt+del)

this is a clean install from the best of DVD. version 1.3b. i am using vista sp1 32bit. i have done the fix that work but it has no affect i have done a new game. and it still happens male or female. i have spoken to securom and they say it have nothing to do with them. the .exe file that people have put links does not not work either and it asks for the cd disk 1 and refuses to accept my best of dvd.

• 3 weeks later...

Recently I was fiddling around with my TSL game and suddenly the cheats started working, even though it wasn't working before. All I did was setup the cheat console as per normal and it worked. If someone can figure out what I've done, I know that It will help anyone else stuck with the problem. I've got vista home premium. Also my party keeps randomly changing from light side to dark and back again. can anyone direct me to an answer?

• 2 weeks later...

i disabled movies and sound but now my saves are gone and i had to restart, also i edited th swkotor2.ini file and when im in game and hit` and type in "addexp99999" then hit ` again it doesent work, nothing happens, do i hit enter or do i have to be at a workbench or something?

Kotor2 problem

Needless to say I'm one of those helpless Laptop Vista guys...

so, getting to the point:

first let's start with my swinfo.txt

now I've done these:

* installed freshly with the detailed instruction 'how-to' featured in these forums, and pretty much everywhere else, it's all the same actually.

* got the ScuROM fix

* Tried the no-cd key exe, i switched back to the scuROM thing

* downloaded the Mss32.dll

* Installed the latest Vista DX redistrubable

* Attempted the 'set affinity'

* I know about running apps in the background. so obviously I've tried that.

* Got the AMD Dual Core app that I'm supposed to run (Strangely i dont really get much notification that it runs really... >.>)

* Modified my Catayst drivers Via 'Mobility Modder.NET' application

[edit] * I've done that ' http://www.srtest.com/referrer/srtest ' thing, and well, obviously i exceed greatly

so what am I missing? :3

Needless to say I'm one of those helpless Laptop Vista guys...

so, getting to the point:

first let's start with my swinfo.txt

now I've done these:

* installed freshly with the detailed instruction 'how-to' featured in these forums, and pretty much everywhere else, it's all the same actually.

* got the ScuROM fix

* Tried the no-cd key exe, i switched back to the scuROM thing

* downloaded the Mss32.dll

* Installed the latest Vista DX redistrubable

* Attempted the 'set affinity'

* I know about running apps in the background. so obviously I've tried that.

* Got the AMD Dual Core app that I'm supposed to run (Strangely i dont really get much notification that it runs really... >.>)

* Modified my Catayst drivers Via 'Mobility Modder.NET' application

[edit] * I've done that ' http://www.srtest.com/referrer/srtest ' thing, and well, obviously i exceed greatly

so what am I missing? :3

Compatibility mode?

"JMartin2507-11-2007, 06:55 PM

important bump for anyone who wants to play KOTOR on their vista.

With a lot of patience and help from stingerhs I was able to do what blowmyface had done and got a patch that allows for one to play KOTOR:D

Anyways hope this works for everyone else the link ish here: http://www.securom.com/support/customers/lucasarts/kotor_t081/swkotor.zip

Below ish copy of email with the instructions as well as the link itself just in case it didn't work earlier:

Subject : SecuROM Support Response: Ticket Number [52448]

Hello,

Please rename your original 'SWKOTOR.EXE', which is located in your installation directory on the hard disc, to 'SWKOTOR.OLD'. Then click on the link below or copy and paste it into your web browser. From the 'File Download' window click 'Open' and extract the new 'SWKOTOR.EXE' into the same folder and re-start the application.

The link for the new file is:

http://www.securom.com/support/customers/lucasarts/kotor_t081/swkotor.zip

If the problem persists, please send another analysis file of the latest executable to us.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact us.

Best regards,

SecuROM Support Team

SecuROM on the web: http://www.securom.com

or via e-mail: support@securom.com"

This is what worked for my vista laptop :) but I got a Nvidia card and u got an AMD so I don't know what that does to it :|

so i got TSL for pc finally.

installed it and it kept crashing. stating *the sith lords has stopped working* once i actually got to the peragus movie clip, but then it crashed once again.

i read over the stuff here, but i am not all that computer savvy.

here's what i did find from a hardware scan.

"the hardware scan failed--click details for more information."

then it lists that i passed on everything but got a warning on video.

"you do not meet the RECOMENDED specs"

i currently have "intel g33 g31 express chipset family"

it suggests "ATI Radeon 9200 or better, or NVidia GeForce4 Ti or better (128MB VRAM)"

i've read on here that basically the intel chipsets are pretty much a lost cause if you want to play TSL on pc.

i have no problem with kotor 1 though.

so what do you suggest i do from here?

can i just download a freeware version of one of these or something?

would that fix it?

and if i do install one of these, will it wind up effecting kotor 1 playing correctly or possibly making it run even better?

Thanx in advance for any Help you can provide.

• 3 weeks later...

But hey, it's probably a new one! I can't even install the danged thing. Or KotOR 2 either for that matter. This is on my year-old gateway laptop. Running Vista SP1, 3GHZ dual athlon processors, 2GB RAM,ATI Radeon® X1270 chipset (I know, lousy). Both games have worked okay on my system before, but I had to reload Vista and now when I attempt to install the games it fails before the first disc is complete. I get a "I O device error" for both. I saw that someone else had that error but he decided it was a disc problem. That isn't the case with me, since my ubuntu machine can read them just fine.

Any ideas?

well helloa all!

I recently installed K1 onto my computer and the thing crashes every time I start it up. I made the games executable run as admin and still nothing. My vid card is a GeForce 6100 (on board) with the latest drivers. any help would be apreciated!

Archived