Home

Modelers and Mappers for OJP

Right now we have code monkeys, animators, and graphics people doing their jobs, but where does that leave modelers and mappers? This thread is for brainstorming how we can include modelers and mappers into the Open Jedi Project.

I think that we should seriously change the look of OJP, and modelers and mappers will definitely help with that. Months ago, there was a thread arguing whether OJP should have a theme. It may be a good idea to resurrect that dead horse.

I think one of the big places for modelers and mappers is OJP CoOp. My idea for Co-Op is to explore the Jedi Purge era, where thousands of stormtroopers, dark side assassins, and Vader himself are hunting the last of the Jedi (unlike Force Unleashed, where you're an apprentice of Vader, you're a Jedi or Rebel on the run). If anyone's seen the successful formula of the UT2k4 co-op mod Killing Floor, in that mod you're up against hordes of undead, and the highlight of that mod is that you have to work with your co-op partners in order to survive. The Purge era is the perfect setting for co-op because 1) you as a group are fighting for your survival - you have to think about either sneaking around to join up with the resistance or fight hordes of bloodthirsty Imperial forces, and 2) once again you're fighting against the Empire while the rebellion is only in its infancy. The movie eras are overused in other mods, and the JK2/JKA era isn't all that interesting because the Imperials aren't as powerful anymore and aren't as threatening of a force as they were when they were consolidating their power.

Now, with that in mind, modelers can make brand new character models unique to OJP; they can make new vehicles that are fusions of designs between the pre-Purge and post-Yavin Battle eras. Mappers can play with the Imperial reconstruction of war-torn worlds, explore locations both new yet familiar (lowest level Coruscant? Jedi Temple after Order 66?).

So Co-Op aside, I wonder if there's another place for modelers and mappers as well. We can explore eras that no other mod has really bothered to explore. The Exar Kun War, the Mandalorian War, the Jedi Civil War...I think recreating those settings would be fun for mappers and modelers, and translating them into Team FFA, CTF, and other game modes will be an interesting challenge.

Along the lines of the Jedi Purge era, I was thinking that maybe we can build upon the Jedi Master game concept. Instead of having people take turns being Jedi by trying to pick up the lightsaber, the objective would be for the Jedi to try to safely sneak past all the gunners to a safe location; it won't be easy because not only will there be a superior force of gunners against the Jedi team, but (maybe) traps and bots supporting gunners will hinder the way as well. For this idea, though, it'll be up to the mappers to create interesting layouts to facilitate the need to sneak or hunt.

Anyway, these are just brainstorming ideas. But we really should change the face of OJP and make it not only play unique, but look unique, too. And that's why modelers and mappers are welcome to help us - they just need to know what it is that they're required to do.

Unfortunately, that's not really practical. Most body parts have to be based about a character with roughly the same body structure. When you add really different heads, torsos, etc, things won't match up right. Plus, this would increase the memory and harddrive space requirement for that playermodel.

Anyway, More Ideas:

- Reversed saber model for experiment in reverse handled saber style.

- Convert mouse droid from .md3 to .gla format.

Also, about CoOp. Another concept that we proposed earlier was a mini-campaign that involved a Clone Wars era raid on a droid factory.

Also, about CoOp. Another concept that we proposed earlier was a mini-campaign that involved a Clone Wars era raid on a droid factory.

speaking of which what ever happened to the ideas in this thread?

http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=173628

we have the model pack for my kotor idea

http://gallery.filefront.com/Ambrom//541720/

http://gallery.filefront.com/Ambrom//541718/

http://gallery.filefront.com/Ambrom//541719/

http://gallery.filefront.com/Ambrom//541717/

well hello gents.

love the idea tanq... can't wait to see it in action!!! I’ve already started making a little concept art for the look and feel of the mod.

if you guys want to give me some ideas to play with, as far as locations of different maps, characters, and vehicles, and weapons, I could use that.

also, razor, what kind of look you goin for with the ojk symbol? that should be easy.

lol!!!

This is brent by the way, your new 3d modeler.

I suppose nobody will know who this is! lol

love the idea tanq... can't wait to see it in action!!! I’ve already started making a little concept art for the look and feel of the mod.

if you guys want to give me some ideas to play with, as far as locations of different maps, characters, and vehicles, and weapons, I could use that.

Sounds great. I can't really help with the concept part of things thou. That's not really my area of skill. Maybe listen to the current OJP theme menu and check out the new menu style for insipration?

As for Tanqexe's Jedi Purge concept, I really like it.

In terms of gameplay, I think we might be able to allow players to play on the "good guys" or "bad guys" in CoOp (in general). Maybe we could make the "bad guys" assume control of the normal NPCs. It's probably doable but I'm not sure how complicated it might be. :) What do you guys think?

also, razor, what kind of look you goin for with the ojk symbol? that should be easy.

Uh, I don't know. Something like the 2d version or maybe something completely new. :) I'm not sure what I want.

What do you guys think about integrating some regular melee weapons?

Like some pikes and swords?

Also there was a beam weapon in episode 3 at the very beginning,

There were 2 droids in the bridge of the command ship that fought against Anakin

And obi won. Anybody know what those weapons were called? Or have a pic?

Let me know what you guys think.

Brent

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Geonosian_sonic_blaster

*But I think the picture isn't a good reference.

And yeah, I'd love to have a sonic blaster. I've always thought we could replace the DEMP2 with it and bring that into the gameplay.

As for electrostaffs, we could add them, but isn't there already one floating out there in the community? Was it any good? Plus, I know it had compatibility issues with OJP.

Did you have any problems with it? I didnt....but I dont know if there was a different one out there. Yeah sonic blaster would be cool....and to replace the demp2? Good idea...i personally dont like the demp2. But thats just me *shrug*. Btw brent what do you use to model? I use Blender.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Geonosian_sonic_blaster

*But I think the picture isn't a good reference.

And yeah, I'd love to have a sonic blaster. I've always thought we could replace the DEMP2 with it and bring that into the gameplay.

As for electrostaffs, we could add them, but isn't there already one floating out there in the community? Was it any good? Plus, I know it had compatibility issues with OJP.

i'll go ahead and make the blaster and the electrostaff. they shouldn't be to hard. if you guys can find any high rez pics of them for use as texture maps. send them to me

Man I'd love to help out, but I'm so shagged after army training. Besides, I only have 1.8days of free time per week :(

Hopefully 5 weeks from now I'll have more time. I've installed Lightwave and I can't wait to get my hands back on modelling. On top of that, I haven't even finished the main menu yet. Cripes!

Archived