Home

[SPOILER] Revan's gender.

KOTOR3, if linking with the other 2 stories will most definately need to follow the cannon, because now the outcome possibilities have doubled again:

- Darth Revan in outter rim and Dark Exile following him

- Darth Revan in outter rim and Light Exile hunting him

- Jedi Revan in outer rim and Dark Exile hunting him

- Jedi Revan in outer rim with light exile following him

Now multiply each of these by 4 to give the gender possibilities:

MR, ME

MR, FE

FR, ME

FR, FE

That's 16 alternatives.

Nonsense. There is no reason why all of these options cannot be addressed somehow in KotOR. None.

And since Revan's gender and alignment is optional in TSL, it will seem incredibly biased and hypocritical if the player's option is not respected in the next game as well. If Revan's gender and alignment had been fixed in TSL it would have been different, but there are not. And that has consequences.

Now lets say KOTOR 3 is released and someone buys it before even looking at the first two... how will they know? I had to pace myself through the story of TSL without playing KOTOR1 and if Revan and the Exile are in the third game, the game developers either have the hell of a task on thier hands or will have to go with the cannons.

Did not knowing anything about Revan stop you from playing TSL? No, it didn't. You can skip the entire conversation with Atton where Revan's alignment and gender is set and the game still won't explode in your face or anything. There is no reason why the same principle can't apply to the next game.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah the Revan and exile thing i never played canon cause it doesn't matter what game i play i'm always male if possible well the reason is if i play as a male i feel like it's myself going there and helping people so Revan=LSM for me and the Exile=LSM also and another reason is that i can't come up with any good female names like other here so my Revan= Jacen Skywalker for me it feels right with that name for me and the Exile=Dace Katarn same thing it feels good when i use it and i played both games both Lightside and darkside and the light always feels right for me so that's it

Mod note: There should be a button with a period symbol printed on it on your keyboard. Please use it, your posts are very hard to read otherwise. :) ~M

Or Species! :lol:
Darn good point. :lol:

See what I mean. Would be kinda stupid to make a RPG, try to fit it in the canon history and expect to please everyone. With sixteen possibilities, I'm pretty sure the story of KotOR III will be a huge disappointment in that regard. Unless they use canon, which would be an even bigger disappointment for most. If they make it at all, that is.

Whatever you chose for canon, you'd piss off like 3/4 of the community. Sad that the SW universe is a perfectly suitable one for RPGs, but like all universes, its 'historical' aspect denies a satisfactory integration. All that's left for us to do is grin and bear it, I guess. My Revan is female, canon Revan is female, end of story. (No, no, my Revan is 100 percent male, but you get the point.)

See what I mean. Would be kinda stupid to make a RPG, try to fit it in the canon history and expect to please everyone. With sixteen possibilities, I'm pretty sure the story of KotOR III will be a huge disappointment in that regard. Unless they use canon, which would be an even bigger disappointment for most. If they make it at all, that is.

Well, actually...it can't. The whole story isn't focused on Revan and Exile, they are just supporting characters. The story is focused on the True Sith who will likely be the same, regardless of alignment and gender of Revan and Exile.

The only thing that is changing is this:

Revan=

-Carth is military general/Carth is dead

-Bastila is Sith/Bastila is Jedi/Bastila is dead

Exile=

-LS Jedi Order Formed/DS Jedi (or Sith) Order Formed

Really, that's all. The core of the story is always the Third Character...and the True Sith. The True Sith, the actual enemy of K3, will be set in stone, and won't change an iota between playthroughs.

KOTOR3, if linking with the other 2 stories will most definately need to follow the cannon, because now the outcome possibilities have doubled again:

- Darth Revan in outter rim and Dark Exile following him

- Darth Revan in outter rim and Light Exile hunting him

- Jedi Revan in outer rim and Dark Exile hunting him

- Jedi Revan in outer rim with light exile following him

Now multiply each of these by 4 to give the gender possibilities:

MR, ME

MR, FE

FR, ME

FR, FE

That's 16 alternatives.

Now lets say KOTOR 3 is released and someone buys it before even looking at the first two... how will they know? I had to pace myself through the story of TSL without playing KOTOR1 and if Revan and the Exile are in the third game, the game developers either have the hell of a task on thier hands or will have to go with the cannons.

It's not even that complicated. In KOTOR 2, it's said that Revan remembered something horrible, the "True Sith," which is what caused Revan to be DS originally. DS or LS, he didn't really fall, he just accepted the Dark Side in order to save the galaxy. The point is, Revan is a good guy who looks bad, and his alignment in K1 is almost entirely irrelevant to the overall story. K2 made it that way.

Dark Exile would have no reason to hunt Revan. Light Exile would probably want to follow Revan, because Revan is really light no matter what. So that's two options, not a billion. And gender amounts to boolean pronoun switching in a fraction of the game dialog.

Well, actually...it can't. The whole story isn't focused on Revan and Exile, they are just supporting characters. The story is focused on the True Sith who will likely be the same, regardless of alignment and gender of Revan and Exile. [...] The core of the story is always the Third Character...and the True Sith. The True Sith, the actual enemy of K3, will be set in stone, and won't change an iota between playthroughs.
Are you "sure" of what you're saying? Any sort of guarantee? I, for one, have no clue how important Revan and Exile will be in KotOR III plot. Those "supporting" characters, as you put it, may very well be major villains of the game. Or party members, even. Who's to say? Assuming the game will ever be made, I mean.

Just because a female Revan has more dialogue options, what the hell? It makes it more likely to be female? Nonsense. Male Revan has a more deep storyline and the romance with Bastila - well, it might not be as interesting, but it is most certainly more romantic.

Carth and Revan romance: Interesting, not romantic. I liked the ideaof having a war veteran, wife dead, homewolrd dead, son joining his sworn enemy, coming together with a Republic Soldier, former Sith Lord, but, meh. It's not romantic. It isn't even forbidden love. Carth is a Republic soldier, he can fall in love, and from what we've heard, light or dark, Revan doesn't give a damn about "There is no emotion, there is peace," nonsense. It is overall badly executed, though nice idea. Badly paced. They've already created a shallow but ingrained effect of Carths wife's death, so why don't you build around that and have Revan as a male and Carth learn through his revenge, instead of having a story of a love-life all over?

Bastila and Revan: Much more romantic, and still interesting, though maybe not as much as Carth's. Here we have a young woman in her early-mid twenties, brought up in a shaky family, and grown up with the strict rules and the narrow view of the Jedi Code. She is against love, though deep within she knows that it's right. And here we have a Republic Recruit in around his mid-late twenties, who rescues her from a gang(though I agree this is a bit cheesy). She knows he is the Dark Lord, and she is afraid of him. Though through their adventures, she begins to gain a degree of trust and compassionfor him, and her dislike for him is twisted into guilt, guilt for making him live a lie. Then, when she is captured after her identity is revealedm, her conflicts cause her to fall, forcing her to be saved by the one whom she loved, with love saving her in the end.

Canon? It's LSM Revan, LSF Exile. In my mind, though, LSM for both fits the best. Frankly, I don't see Exile as being a woman. It's not a big deal, but the game seems to be more fitting for a man than a woman, especially what with the whole Malachor V thing. It seems more fitting for a man than a woman. However, that's a fairly minor issue, I'm not going to debate something this minor.

Actually, just give Exile Nihilus's Mask, that would simplify things. Now you have two masked character, where Gender may not matter, as lonk as they do not have vocal speach. The DS/LS choice would be easier too. It boiles down to:

Both LS working together.

Both DS helping each other, fighting each other.

Obbosing LS/DS and war. (where you need only 1 LS fraction one DS Fraction, and swap Revan/Exile as necessary)

As for old chracter, many of them are either a bit old, possably dead due to(possable) storyline, or have little to do with storyline due to choices(like Brianna and stalker mike)

Personally I think other than HK, T3 there should be new party members only. Mandalore might be allowed, but hopefully not as party members. If everything goes well he would be quite important, and too high level to travel with "n00bs"

Oh god no, not the stupid Nihilus mask! One game with that stupid ugly thing was enough, I don't want a character I like spoiled forever by that hideous moron mask.

I think that would actually be a very good plot device. If you think about, if the Exile goes on like he his, he will become another Nihilus, and he'll most likely need something to cover his face. Is there a particular reason you don't like the mask? I happen to think it's pretty cool.

Difference is a welcome, especially when you are playing RPG. Is it not?

In my case, I played LSM Revan and LSF Exile. And I have to admit that when I later

heard about this "canonical" gender thing, I was shocked. Not because my selection

matched it; wasn't the game given an open choice to satisfy any player?

Secondary materials, like comics and novels may need a clear gender reference. But

why for players who were able to choose either way? Even if you enjoy those books,

it's your call.

Archived