Home

Windows XP

urluckyday

Hey. I am planning on getting a computer with Windows Vista on it, but I had a question.

I was also planning on partitioning the drive so that I could also put on Windows XP to make sure that no matter what happens, my old LA games would work in some shape or form. I realize that most people have generally good luck with Vista and their games still working, but I just want to make sure.

Now, I need to buy a new Windows XP disc, and I was wondering how many licenses are on one CD?

Take This For Example

How many computers can I put that on?

Thanks!

usually, you can only use a license on a single computer unless you uninstall XP on the old computer and reinstall it on a new computer. multi-license installations are expensive since you're paying for so many keys at once, but the upside is that you don't have to call Microsoft's Support Center for a new key for every computer you install it on. however, usually that situation is more for businesses that just purchased a ton of new computers.

anyways, that's what i know to the best of my knowledge. so, you'll excuse me if i tell you not to take me completely at my word.

either way, i hope that helps. :)

You linked to the retail version of XP Home Edition. AFAIK, the license is good for installation on up to 5 (I think) different computers, used one at a time, of course. If you're only planning on using XP on your new rig and that machine only (if you think that there will ever be a workaround available that allows you to run old games on Vista), you might want to get the OEM version for around half the price. If you're planning on keeping XP for installation on new machines in the distant future, get the retail version.

actually, alot of LA games suck in Vista.... KOTORs are out, as are the Monkey Island games.... havent tried AoE, JK, XWA....

mtfbwya

actually, both Kotor games run for me on my Vista x64 compy. i'm running them both as an administrator and in Windows XP SP2 Compatiblility mode. without those options enabled, however, neither game wants to work. the biggest thing, though, is that the games don't run very well. even with my killer system, the framerate ranges from 95 fps all the way down to 23 fps in some areas (especially on Kotor2), and my average fps is only 41 (according to FRAPS).

just remember: every game that was released for XP also runs just fine in Windows 2000. that means that you need to test both XP compatibility mode and Windows 2000 compatibility mode on your games. just because you never used Windows 2000 doesn't mean that you can't use the compatibility mode in Vista. doing that actually gave me a performance boost on several games (both Rome and Medieval II Total War games), so remember to keep your options open.

EAW works very well on Vista as does Republic Commando. as for those oldy-but-goodie games you mentioned, well, those are difficult for me to test as i don't own those games. :)

anyways, as i've started telling some of the customers about Vista down at work: your mileage may vary. if you use the compatibility modes, it really helps a lot with most games that aren't working right. there are exceptions to that, but i haven't run into very many.

You linked to the retail version of XP Home Edition. AFAIK, the license is good for installation on up to 5 (I think) different computers, used one at a time, of course. If you're only planning on using XP on your new rig and that machine only (if you think that there will ever be a workaround available that allows you to run old games on Vista), you might want to get the OEM version for around half the price. If you're planning on keeping XP for installation on new machines in the distant future, get the retail version.

I'll check into that. If that's the case, then I'll definitely gonna be getting the retail version. But hey, thanks everyone! If any of you guys find out for sure, let me know...I'm sure I could ask someone at like Best Buy or something, but I'm not heading out that way for a little while.

Don't ask anyone at Best Buy they'll try and get you to buy the most expensive one lolz...

It's simple, if you want it on that computer only, get an OEM version, should be about half the price of the retail one...If you want to use it on another PC later on (or give it to someone or resell it later), get the retail version.

actually, both Kotor games run for me on my Vista x64 compy.

interesting, I was having trouble launching at all in x86.

I now have my x64 setup and same card as yours IIRC... (8800GTS?)

might give it a go :D dont like the idea of 40 or even 20 fps :(

mtfbwya

Archived