Home

MC: AOTE: Brothers in Arms

"You always did have one hell of a knockout punch," Teser muttered, getting back to his feet. "And for the short version... well, I've been busy."

"Busy?! So busy that you couldn't even send a message to any one of seven of... no, scratch that, 'cause Nuss is on my s-list and doesn't count anymore... to any one of your 'six' siblings to say, 'Hey, I'm alive, just busy?'" She kicked him in the shin. "Bad answer, try again!"

"Ow!" Teser exclaimed. "Will you please stop kicking me?"

Beryl's eyes narrowed. "Where have you been, Teser Quitaan?"

"That's a long story," Teser began, but at the sight of his sister beginning to draw her hand back for another good strike, his eyes widened and he went on in a hurry. "Big shipping company! Outer Rim mostly... they kept me so busy you wouldn't believe!"

"I don't believe!" She launched another strike at him, but this one was caught from behind by Conn. "You're causing a scene," he whispered into her ear. "Calm down. Last thing we need is an audience."

Beryl gave her brother a hard look, then pulled her arm abruptly away from Conn's grip. She shook her head, and then said, "I need a another drink." Then she headed to the bar. Teser watched her go with a puzzled frown and then turned to Conn.

"She been like this ever since you got her back?" he asked softly.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"You have no idea," Conn replied, shaking his head as he watched Beryl approach the bar. "The Imps did something funny to her," Conn told the elder Quitaan. "She's not the Beryl you or I remember. At least not right now."

"The Imps put her on some weird cocktail of drugs, stuff that made even the doc here cringe," Max piped up as she rose from her seat, nearly-empty whiskey bottle in hand. "I've only known her for a short time, but I definitely think I prefer pre-Carida Beryl to post."

"She's only acting 'semi' normal now that I've medicated her out to the gills," Conn continued. "When we picked her up, she was surly, anti-social and rather testy."

"You mean just like she was now?" Teser surmised, rubbing his still bruised chin.

"Yeah," Conn confirmed. "C'mon, let's get over there before she 'self-medicates' a little too much for her own good."

"Sounds like a plan," Teser agreed as they strode over to the bar where Nic and Beryl sat.

Beryl had sidled up to Nic at the bar. “Sullistan rocket fuel?” she said, looking at his drink. Nic nodded. “Suppose it’s better than Renan Irongut. That stuff can remove rust, you know.” She considered for a moment, then motioned to the bartender. “I’ll have what he’s having.”

“Powerful stuff, Beryl,” said Nic.

“I can handle it. Besides, the Doc told me to calm down. So….”

Nic glanced over his shoulder at the table where Conn stood talking to a blonde-haired man. “Another brother?”

“Yeah. Teser. Back from the dead and with a piss poor explanation.” Her drink arrived. “You know that’s been happening a lot lately. People back from the dead.” She took a swig of the drink. “Wonder if my dad’s gonna show up next. Or, perhaps, Ryshana.” She paused a moment, thinking about the visitation and conversation she had had with Ryshana, or what had appeared to be her, while in her dormitory room at the Carida Academy. “Although, that wouldn’t be as much of a surprise to me.” Another swig, followed by a small shiver.

“Beryl I’d be more thankful he is alive.” Nic explained. “Think of it from his point of view, he probably wanted to make contact but couldn’t, the problem with everyone thinking you’re dead is that you begin to feel dead.” Nic explained from his recent experiences.

“Besides today is a time for reunion so let’s try to be happy about it.” Nic reminded. “You have every reason to be.”

The Echo swept into Ruusan's atmosphere, cleared with docking authorities, and touched down relatively close to the part of town which held the Smuggler's Rest. By this point, the entire crew knew they would be getting Nic back from the supposed dead and despite everything they'd been through in the last two months, their spirits were higher... excepting a few of the crew, though that was to be expected. Jeez in particular had gone through more than anyone else, Jana had to admit.

When it came right down to it, Jana figured she was probably the most thrilled of all of them. Reibe seemed more amused at the thought of Nic and Beryl returning. Cloud was excited, but Jana sensed a little nervous energy lurking within him. Sam and Jack were more or less indifferent. Jeez was... well, Jana couldn't read his feelings on the matter.

But Jana was thrilled, she decided. And the first sight that caught her eyes when she entered the Smuggler's Rest was Beryl and Nic seated at the bar and having a drink together. Feeling a little childish, she raced across the room and practically tackled Nic off his barstool. Reibe followed more slowly, coming up to them with an amused smirk.

"Now, now, Jana," she scolded gently. "Show a little restraint."

She watched the pair untangle and stand, fully expecting an outburst from Nic. But Jana had other things on her mind.

"I'd been thinking about how I wanted to greet you both," she informed Nic before turning and embracing Beryl. "Figured there wasn't anything that would really communicate it right, but a hug was the closest I could figure..." She turned back to Nic and noticed an odd look on his face. "Nic? What's wrong?"

Jack did everything he did when he landed the Echo. He controlled it down to the ground, cleared everything with docking authorities and then landed the ship in the specified docking area. He did all this while reviewing in his head the whole Nic being alive situation. Of course he was happy, Jack had a lot of respect for the man and learning of his survival would remove the aurora of depressing that flooded the ship and her crew.

Looking from the cockpit, he could see as soon as he opened the docking ramp, Jana rushing from the Echo and towards the commercial area. Feeling that he should follow, he left his station and followed Jana's path, just at a slower rate. He eventually caught up with Reibe.

He entered the bar just in time to see Jana tackle Nic to the ground with excitement. "I'm going to resist the temptation to do the same thing," Jack muttered before walking over to their table. Quickly taking a sip of Nic's drink while he had a massive Jana attached to him. "Good to see you again Nic, you too Beryl," Jack said with a smile before returning Nic's drink to him.

“Nothing.” Nic replied to Jana Wrapping his arms around her again. “It’s just good to see ya again shortstuff.”

He released her and looked over at cloud who stepped up to him with his hand out in front of him, Nic grabbed the mechanics arm shook once then pulled him closer to wrap one arm behind his friend and pat him on the back for a few seconds then releasing.

“Nice to see you’re still breathing.” Nic stated with a huge grin across his face.

“Coming from a man we thought was dead those are bold words.” Cloud replied. “Next time you return from the dead do you think I could get a souvenir.”

“Sure.” Nic laughed.

"Good to see you again Nic, you too Beryl,"

“You too Jack.” Nic replied holding his hand out and shaking the pilots. “Hope you’ve been keeping Jana in line.”

"She's done that fairly well herself, Nic White," Reibe cut in, coming to stand beside Jana. Now, with Nic's eyes fully fixed on her, she could see plain as day what she'd expected from him. He was seriously ticked at seeing her.

"What is she doing here?" Nic demanded turning to Jana obviously angry at seeing the familiar woman. Reibe didn't help the matter any, as she extended her hand to him.

"Reibe Vailar," she introduced, a sparkle of amusement in her eyes. "Ship's adviser."

"Well I'm back now and that means you're gone." Nic replied, turning back to her.

"Nic, she's helped us more than you could imagine these last two months," Jana countered, siding with her trainer. "It's because of her we didn't end up Imp-scattered dust... they had a tracker on us. She kept us one step ahead of them."

"Jana you can't trust her," Nic replied. "Every time something bad happens she's been there."

"Ever consider what would have happened if she wasn't?" Jana shot back. "We'd never have escaped Vader, for one. Or had you forgotten that in your time with the dead?"

She stalked down the bar and sat down at the opposite end.

"Nice goin', Nicky," Reibe murmured, just barely audible.

Catching the enthusiasm in the air, Jeez closed his eyes as he concentrated on the Force. Feeling outwards, Jeez could almost instantly sense the presence of two familiar people. Conn and Max, Jeez thought to himself as he remembered them from the prison. Then, Jeez could feel two others that the enthusiasm was directed towards, and then, Jeez could finally sense Beryl. Darkness becomes you, it seems, Jeez commented to himself as he could feel her presence.

The Darkside seemed to be strong around her, and Jeez wondered for a moment as to why. Then, it dawned on him that Beryl no longer had Ryshana or himself to influence her in the right direction. Couple that with whatever experience her brother decided to put her through...

Jeez's head dropped as he slowly shook his head in disapproval. This should prove to be most interesting.

Leaving the Echo, Jeez slowly led himself to where Jana and the rest of the crew had ran off to. Entering the cantina, Jeez quickly caught sight of the crowd. Seeing Beryl, Jeez studied her for a moment. A part of him didn't want to believe that she had changed as much as she had, but Jeez knew better as there was no denying the slight aura of darkness he could sense around her.

Walking over to her, Jeez came up behind her and carefully placed one of his hands down on her shoulder. Almost instantly, Jeez's thoughts drifted, and a voice seemed to whisper , "Murderer." Shaking off the strange sensation, Jeez looked back over at Beryl.

Leaning down beside her, Jeez whispered into her ear saying, "You and I have much to discuss it seems."

Beryl stiffened at Jeez’s touch. Slowly, she turned her head to look at him. His warm brown eyes seemed to see right into her soul and the elation of seeing Jana and the others was immediately replaced by anxiety. Suddenly she felt as if she were back at the Carida Academy—frightened, nervous, and always looking over her shoulder. She shrunk away from him, gradually shrugging off his hand. “Yeah, well, I don’t really want to ‘discuss’ anything right now.”

She didn’t look at Jeez, but instead locked eyes with Conn, and then walked over towards where Jana was.

“Jana,” she said softly to her friend. “It’s so good to see you. Glad you got my message. I can't tell you how much I missed you.” Still avoiding Jeez’s gaze, she gave Jana another hug, and then turned to Conn, Max and Teser. “This is my friend, Dr. Conway Harlowe,” she said to Jana as she motioned to Conn. “And that’s Max…. erm,…” Beryl realised that she hadn’t really ever asked Max if she had a family name or not. “…a former prison trustee. And, my brother, Teser, who apparently just resurrected himself from the ranks of the dead.”

She gave Teser a small apologetic grin. "I'm sorry," she said. "I had no cause to hit you. You're not Nuss."

Conn had stood back alongside Teser when the Echo's crew had come into the cantina and greeted their long-lost compatriots. After the initial greetings, which included an impressive flying tackle on Nic from a petite brunette, Conn finally saw someone he knew, recognizing the broad shoulders and determined demeanor of the Jedi Knight who had escaped the Imperial prison with them. Jeez walked over and said a word to Beryl, who seemed to back away from him, looking very guilty, as if he had caught doing something wrong. Conn had no doubt that Jeez knew what Beryl had done, and he imagined that the Jedi would have quite a few words to say to her later.

Beryl probably knew the same thing, because she shyed away from Jeez and caught Conn's gaze. Moving over to the end of the bar where the brunette had retreated, she beckoned Conn, Teser and Max over. "This is my friend, Dr. Conway Harlowe, And that’s Max… erm... …a former prison trustee. And, my brother, Teser, who apparently just resurrected himself from the ranks of the dead."

Conn extended his hand towards Jana. "Good to finally meet you," he said to her, smiling warmly.

"No one said you had to do anything," Jeez replied somewhat sharply as he turned away. "Yet."

Facing Nic, Jeez extended his hand. "And you must be Nic," Jeez stated as he tried to force a smile. "I'm Yajisif Quiinzara, Ryshana's husband before she died. I've heard a couple of rather interesting stories about you during my brief time with her."

"A pleasure to meet you as well, Dr. Harlowe," Jana replied, shaking his hand. Turning to shoot an odd look at Teser. "Back from the dead, huh? He failed to mention that last time I saw him..."

Teser shrugged. "I guess my communication can't be commended lately..." he muttered.

"I suppose not," Jana agreed. She hugged Beryl again. "It is so good to have you two back... well... you more so... back from the dead and Nic manages to upset..." She shook her head in a mixture of frustration and amusement. "Happened last time too..."

"Ah, so you must be Jana Vincent," Max said, pulling up alongside Conn and extending her hand. As Jana shook it, Max pressed something into the brunette's palm. As Jana arched an eyebrow, Max winked at her. "With this motley crew, I figure you can use all the help you can get," she said, closing Jana's hand around the chit.

"No one said you had to do anything," Jeez replied somewhat sharply as he turned away. "Yet."

Beryl felt a bit bad about being so abrupt and brushing off Jeez. Seeing him again reminded her of the moment Ryshana had been killed—a completely horrible and distasteful memory if there ever was one. Beside that, she didn’t want to tell him about the bad things she had done, nor the bad things she had thought about doing, and especially not her visitation from Ryshana. She figured he would think she was going mad. But his word ‘yet’ told her that she would have to confront him later. And later suited her just fine.

As Conn and Jana got acquainted, Beryl gave a nod to Cloud, acknowledging his presence, and then did the same for Riebe, though she had to admit she was a bit surprised to see the diminutive former TCTA instructor again. The last time they had met was when Reibe had helped the crew of the Echo escape from Lord Vader—a most disconcerting experience as Beryl recalled—and she cautiously wondered what ‘special occasion’ it was for Reibe to visit this time.

”….failed to mention that last time I saw him..." Beryl heard Jana say.

"I guess my communication can't be commended lately..." Teser had muttered.

As Jana hugged her again, Beryl looked over Jana’s shoulder at Teser and gave him a dirty look. The last time? Beryl thought. Teser can’t be bothered to leave a message for me, but he can meet Jana? He is so going to get thumped later.

"It is so good to have you two back,” Jana said. “... well... you more so... back from the dead and Nic manages to upset..." She shook her head in a mixture of frustration and amusement. "Happened last time too..."

Beryl gave her a quizzical look. Another last time? Boy, gone for a few weeks and everything’s changed….

Max approached Jana, and as Beryl stood back to let her talk she felt a tug on her shirt from behind and turned around.

“Hey, sweetie.” Sam smiled at her, and then latched on to Beryl in such an unexpected and tight embrace that Beryl was nearly winded. “It’s so lonely sleeping in your room all by myself. I missed you so much!”

“So, I see,” Beryl choked out as she squirmed out of Sam’s arms before she could kiss her. “I thought…wait.” Beryl’s brow crinkled. “You’re sleeping in my room?”

Sam shrugged. “Yeah, well… I’ve got my own quarters, but …” She cast a quick look over at Jack. “I don’t feel very safe in there. Besides, sweetie, your room feels all… lived-in and comfy, and,” she added pointedly, “it’s booby-trap free.” She grinned as gave Beryl a quick once over. “Well, you’re certainly looking fit, sweetie, but….” Quite suddenly, Sam frowned and shook her head a bit. “Wait….” She tapped a finger against her lips. “Something’s not right with you. Not right at all.”

Beryl stared back at her, surprised by Sam’s bluntness. “Excuse me?”

Sam snapped her fingers, then pointed at Beryl. “I know. You’ve got that Imp look.”

“Imp look?” Beryl looked over to where Nic was, to see if he had heard Sam’s comment. “I’m not even wearing my uniform.”

“No, it’s not a fashion statement,” Sam explained. “It’s that detached, vacant, cold, ‘look-at-me-wrong-and-I’ll-kill-you’ Imp look in your eyes.” Sam cocked her head to one side. “Yeah, that’s it all right. It’s your eyes. They’re… well, they’re just wrong.”

Beryl shook her head as she let out a sigh. “Whatever.”

Sam donned a worried look. “But don’t worry, sweetie. I’ll help you.”

“I don’t need any ‘help’,” Beryl said. “I just need another drink.” She motioned to the bartender for another round and drinks for the newly arrived, while Conn stared at her with exasperated resignation.

“Oh, you do need help, sweetie,” Sam said quietly into her ear. “You just don’t know it yet.” Before Beryl could retort, Sam had toddled off over to where Jeez was. She nudged him with her elbow, and then whispered something into his ear.

Beryl just shook her head. She turned to Max. “Right, so, Max… really appreciate the rescue and the lift. Thank you very much.” She slammed the last of her drink, then turned to Nic. “So, sir, another round and then should we get back on the ship? ‘Cause we’ve got a mission to plan.” She looked at Conn. “You’re coming to Chandrila with us, right?”

Conn sighed. "Yeah, I'm coming," he confirmed. "The Imperials are definitely up to no good with that voodoo concoction of theirs. If we're able to find out more about it, maybe we'll be able to throw a chink in their plans."

As Beryl nodded in agreement, Conn could tell from the feelings she exuded that she wasn't exactly pushing this out of altruism. Instead, there was a different feeling burning inside her. She'd always been fiery, but this wasn't the spunk he was used to from her. This was a whole different animal: vengeance. He knew he wouldn't be able to dissuade her now, not in her current state, but he just hoped that whatever the Imps had done to her wasn't permanent. Because if it was...

The rest of that thought bothered him to the point it was almost painful, so he shook it out of his mind. Placing a hand on her arm, he squeezed lightly. "Besides Beryl, I just got you back. You didn't think I'd let you out of my sights so soon again, did you?"

Jana eyed the chit Max had deposited in her hand for a moment, and then glanced over at Nic. "I appreciate the gesture," she said, extending the chit back to Max. "But we'll be alright. Motley though our crew may be, when we're together, we can pull off things and get out of traps like most people would only dream of. It's when we're split up that... well, that this last two months happens."

"On the other hand," Reibe said, sliding smoothly up beside Jana, "it never hurt to accept a gesture of kindness." She eyed Max for a moment before asking bluntly, "It's not stolen, is it?"

Jana flushed. "Reibe!" she hissed sharply. Reibe ignored her, staring intently at Max.

Nic ordered the group another round of drinks and made sure everyone had a glass in their hand. He held his glass out infront of him and coughed loudly to get everyones attention. "Here's to those who could not be reunited and gave the ultimate sacrificed so other could live. To Oliver and Ryshana may they find peace whereever they are." Finishing his toast he downed his drink in one.

"Technically. I'll never understand this crew however." Max pursed her lips. "From what I gather, the whole reason for that operation to our little haven of Imperial hell was to get this very thing." She held up the chit, then gestured toward Nic. "He tossed it into the jungle." Max indicated Beryl next. "She walked away from it. And now you don't want it either?" Max shook her head and rubbed her temple. "Maybe Lana was right and I was crazy to try and offer it to you people..."

“You didn't think I'd let you out of my sights so soon again, did you?"

Beryl met Conn’s gaze then shook her head. “No. You’re too stubborn for that.” She caught sight of Max trying to give the credit chip to Jana. Jana had refused, but Reibe seemed inclined for her to take it. “… never hurt to accept a gesture of kindness.” Reibe said.

Max seemed confused as to why no one wanted the chip, and voiced a few complaints about it. "Maybe Lana was right and I was crazy to try and offer it to you people..."

Beryl plucked the chit from Max’s fingers. “I shouldn’t seeing as how Ryshana died for it, but, like Reibe said, it would be rude to accept your gesture of kindness.” She bowed her head to Max. “So, thank you, Max.”

She pocketed the chip and then downed the rest of her drink. “Well, Max, it’s been great fun.” She shook Max’s hand. “Thanks for everything—the rescue, the lift,…” She raised her empty glass. “… the drinks.” She looked at Jana, and then Nic. “I don’t know about you, sir, but I’m ready to blow this joint and go home.”

“C’mon guys lets get off his rock before we are reunited with people we don’t want to meet.” Nic said looking at Jana remembering one of the previous times they had come to the smugglers rest. “Anyway I kind of need to get changed I’ve been wearing these cloths since we infiltrated the reaper.”

As the Echo's crew filed out, Max sidled up to Sam, who was about to leave the bar. "Going with them, eh?" she called out.

Sam turned, then smiled. "Yeah, guess I am," she replied to the petite Lorrdian. "Things are gonna get pretty interesting from the sounds of it." She cast a glance back at Jack's retreating form. "Besides, I've probably got some unfinished business to take care of."

Max arched an eyebrow, but didn't press the issue. She'd known Sam long enough not to ask the tall ex-inmate about things of the past. "Well, whenever you find suit to finish it, there's always room for you aboard my ship."

"Thanks, Max," Sam said in genuine appreciation.

"I've even got the twins with me again."

It was Sam's turn to raise a brow. "Lena and Lana? Those cute Firrerreos?"

Max chuckled. "Yeah, them."

Sam stroked her chin. "Hmmm..." She furrowed her brow in thought for a few moments, then polished off the last of her ale with one big swig. Setting her mug on the table, she looked at Max again. "I'll see this Chandrila thing through, then I'll give you a ring. How's that?"

Max held up her hands. "Hey, whatever you want. Just watch yourself out there, okay?"

Sam snorted as she gave Max a quick hug. "As if."

As Max stepped outside of Smuggler's Rest, she was surprised to see Conn leaning next to the doorway. "Aren't you going with the rest of them?" she asked, arching an eyebrow at him.

The Alderaanian doctor nodded as he pushed off the wall. "Yeah, I am, but you didn't think I'd just leave without saying 'thank you', did you?"

Max waved him off. "We've been over this before, Doc, you don't need to thank me---" The rest of her sentence was cut off Conn pulled her into an embrace, her face buried against his broad chest.

"Yeah, I know, but I was never one to do what people tell me," he said. After a few moments, he released her and looked down, smiling.

The petite Lorrdian couldn't help grinning crookedly herself. "You big doof," she scolded lightly. "Lana and Lena will miss you."

"I'll still be around," Conn said. "So if you ever need a house call, you know where to go."

"Mmmhm," Max demurred. "Just be careful okay? And watch that Corellian of yours and make her right again."

Conn's smile fell a little bit. "Easier said than done."

"It always is."

"Likewise," Jeez replied to Nic as he shook his hand. Turning away from Nic, Jeez walked over to the bar and ordered a virrelium juice. After a moment, the bartender set it down in front of Jeez. Nodding to the bartender, Jeez turned around to look at the assembled crew.

I wonder exactly what you saw in them, Jeez thought to himself. All I can see is one drama unfolding after another, and its beyond distracting.

Cradling his drink, Jeez wondered to himself as to exactly what Force was leading him into now. Quickly downing the entire soft drink in a single swallow, Jeez set the glass on the bar and left the credits to pay for the drink. Plus a tip.

Hearing Nic telling the crew to leave, Jeez then commented, "And not a moment too soon." Following the rest oft the crew, Jeez kept to himself as they made their way back to the Echo.

Jack had sorted drifted into a deep trail of though as his fellow crew members talked about the recent happenings. It was only when he felt everyone around him leaving their seats did he snap back into reality. He quickly downed what was left of his drink down his throat before standing up to join them in their exit. He wasn't exactly sure where they were going, or even if they had anywhere to go but he could hear the cries of an upcoming conflict in the near future, and the Echo's crew were going to fly straight into it.

"So captain," Jack said as he caught up with Nic as he was leaving the Echo. As Jack was about to finish his sentence, he was interrupted by a foul smell radiating from Nic. "Geez, you weren't kidding about the clothes... Anyway, where are we going next? I kinda moved into my own little world back in the bar so I didn't hear anything you said... Sorry..."

Archived