Home

mmorpg.com BIOWARE MMO poll , take a look..

zaykodroid

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But they still need the upfront capital. :)

I must admit I'm not the expert on how the interworkings of publishers etc in the gaming industry. But I do know that if EA is backing this, I'm pretty sure they got plenty of money to handle the "upfront capital."

Anyways I found a new article about a possible Kotor mmo.

Anyways I found a new article about a possible Kotor mmo.
It will be interesting to see if BioWare is indeed developing their MMORPG for the Star Wars KotOR era. I know if this turns out to be true I am pretty much guaranteed to have my first MMORPG experience with the first MMORPG developed by BioWare.

"Be gentle with me BioWare, it's our first time time together. Let's make it special." :blush2::lol:

EDIT: I do like GameSpot's evaluation of Primo Technology's report in their Rumor Control section. Pretty much neutral.

Interesting...Bioware and MMO's....very interesting indeed.

It has been a rumor for some times, and I've been pondering on it since it was suggested.

Imo, it could be a match made in heaven, or hell, no way in between.

Since Bioware is known for their rich story development, this could be one of the few MMO's with enough lore and backstory to remain attractive to newcomers. Good example is WoW, which already had a huge backstory before. Knowing Bioware, they could draw so much from the SW universe and the previous two games that they wouldn't need 'artificial' storylines like HK-47's or Obi-Wans on Mustafar like Galaxies needed.

Also, EA has much experience with internet and server technology. Bioware for the game, EA for the online support. Match made in Heaven :D

Or...Bioware decides to do a SW Galaxies. Take a time-line, deliver a game, and let EA destroy it. :(

Sidenote: Buiseness model? $15/month or Guild Wars system? The last seems to fit better with the previous Kotor games.

Sidenote: Buiseness model? $15/month or Guild Wars system? The last seems to fit better with the previous Kotor games.
If BioWare's MMOG does turn out to be based on KotOR and LucasArts president Jim Ward has any say about it (I'm sure he would), I think we can expect a monthly fee to play the game. Mr. Ward is very much interested in developing varied revenue streams for LucasArts beyond just the initial sale of a game. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't go for a fee model like the one Guild Wars is using where you just buy the game but don't have to pay anything to play the game online.

From the Gamespot article.

[uPDATE] In a conference call with analysts after the announcement, EA executives shed some light on the motivation behind the deal. Besides the impeccable pedigree of both studios, Riccitiello said that the "acquisition fills out a gap in [EA's] genre lineup," specifically the role-playing and action adventure markets. The executive also cited BioWare's forthcoming MMORPG as a huge opportunity for "further expansion into the MMO space."

Even if it isn't kotor, I am definitely excited that EA wants to continue to move forward with the Bioware mmo. Of course if it is kotor, all the better! :D

[uPDATE] In a conference call with analysts after the announcement, EA executives shed some light on the motivation behind the deal. Besides the impeccable pedigree of both studios, Riccitiello said that the "acquisition fills out a gap in [EA's] genre lineup," specifically the role-playing and action adventure markets. The executive also cited BioWare's forthcoming MMORPG as a huge opportunity for "further expansion into the MMO space."

Even if it isn't kotor, I am definitely excited that EA wants to continue to move forward with the Bioware mmo. Of course if it is kotor, all the better! :D

If the MMORPG is still coming, then there is no way it's KotOR. None. In fact, I'd take the above as proof positive that it is not. We'll have both colds days in Hell, two thursdays in a week, AND see pigs fly before LA lets EA get anywhere near a Star Wars game. Heck, we'll even see LA get Obsidian to finish TSL before that happens ;)

I've never played an MMO, but from everything i've heard and read about them, they're short on story and character development. So for those reasons alone, I say thumbs downto a MMO version of KOTOR 3.

I have never played an MMO either, and really don't want to. I would much rather buy the game for my Xbox! With that said I give this idea a massive two thumbs down. :)

I've been waiting for a new mmo for awhile and if they want to make one, I say let them. Nobody is forcing you to play this game and it could either turn out to be fun, mildly fun, or another Matrix Online.

Personally, I do not see how they could possibly make a third KOTOR at all. The story is too individually driven. I mean, come on... we have debates about what GENDER Revan and the Exile are. If we find out what happens to both of them other than them disapearing, then you can expect a huge uproar from many fans. The story is too sensitive I think to be made into another single player unless it is thrown into the hands of a group that know exactly what they are doing, and considering the LA isn't the kindest to the people it works with (Obsidian and it's time frame) you can expect them to take the cheap road out.

An MMO would be that cheap road out. It would pull in more money, it would make up for the fact their last MMO bit the dust, and it can be edited completely by the touch of a button at anytime. They can spread the story out far and wide to get people to play harder and longer, but in the end accomplish nothing but turning the Kotor story into another World Of Warcraft lore tragedy.

They can do what they want, and maybe one day they will learn. LA either refuses to listen to fans, or listens to them WAY TOO MUCH. Considering that all the children bitching and complaining about not being a Jedi in Galaxies made them turn everybody into Jedi... I can safely say that LA's balls change size at random.

Will it be made? I dunno. I think anybody saying that it absolutely will be made and absolutely wont be made needs to sit back and consider what the gaming industry will make into games and comeback to me saying that some things are impossible.

If the MMORPG is still coming, then there is no way it's KotOR.
Why do you say that? If LA and BioWare signed a contract for BioWare to develop a KotOR MMORPG before LA knew about EA acquiring BioWare then LA may not have a choice. Of course if the contract contains language that allows either party to terminate if a change in control occurs with either party then LA could back out of the deal. Of course this is all if BioWare is making a KotOR MMOG. This could very well be a moot argument. :)

From my perspective I see a lot of reasons why a KotOR MMORPG is a good idea. This gives players the opportunity to realistically play as a Jedi since there are a lot of Jedi in that period. SWG seems to be operating under a very tarnished image now. Maybe this would give SWG the opportunity to recast itself again, letting those players who want to play in a Jedi-filled environment go with KotOR and SWG returning to it's non-Jedi or sparse Jedi roots. Of course I personally prefer a single player experience but I would definitely be willing to give a KotOR MMORPG a whirl.

Nobody is forcing you to play this game and it could either turn out to be fun, mildly fun, or another Matrix Online.
So does that mean Matrix Online is not a fun MMORPG? That game, [highlight]SWG[/highlight], and Guild Wars were the only MMORPG's I ever considered playing.

I can safely say that LA's balls change size at random.
:eyepop LOLLABALLS :D

So does that mean Matrix Online is not a fun MMORPG? That game and Guild Wars were the only two MMORPG's I ever even considered playing.

Actually, it was my first MMO ever and I had a blast. It was fun, it was unique, and had great backing from the developers. Problem was, the game fell apart quickly due to poorly written story. They devs had it going for them, but the writers and company behind them didn't seem all too hasty to destroy the matrix story at all. The same thing is currently happening in WoW atm: Blizzard, due to poorly written story, has resorted to killing off every single one of their main characters. Only Arthas is left now, and the next Xpack you get to kill him.

From my perspective I see a lot of reasons why a KotOR MMORPG is a good idea. This gives players the opportunity to realistically play as a Jedi since there are a lot of Jedi in that period. SWG seems to be operating under a very tarnished image now. Maybe this would give SWG the opportunity to recast itself again, letting those players who want to play in a Jedi-filled environment go with KotOR and SWG returning to it's non-Jedi or sparse Jedi roots. Of course I personally prefer a single player experience but I would definitely be willing to give a KotOR MMORPG a whirl.

Agreed, the fact that the Jedi order after Kotor II was just starting up again would make sense in an MMO standpoint to have a lot of new Jedi running around training again. A different story from Galaxies, where they were supposed to be nearly extinct and over.

Problem was, the game fell apart quickly due to poorly written story. They devs had it going for them, but the writers and company behind them didn't seem all too hasty to destroy the matrix story at all.
Isn't that the challenge for all MMORPG's though? How do the writers construct a compelling storyline for the game when they need to design it in such a way so that the story can have tons of people participate in it. IMO it's much easier to design a story for one player character than thousands of player characters.

That is one of the things I find intriguing about BioWare's MMORPG, without even knowing what the game's content is. BioWare is very much focused on making story-driven games and has acquired some interesting technologies for their MMOG to aid in this effort. I'm very much interested in seeing what they end up with, regardless of whether the game is based on KotOR. :)

Isn't that the challenge for all MMORPG's though? How do the writers construct a compelling storyline for the game when they need to design it in such a way so that the story can have tons of people participate in it. IMO it's much easier to design a story for one player character than thousands of player characters.

Yeah, you honestly got me there. It may be because I'm so used to single players games that I found the stories rather bland and unimagnative. But, like you said, that is the challenge for the writiers.

The core problem is that an RPG is supposed to be a heavily story-driven story with a lot of character development and plot. An MMORPG by it's very nature is social-driven, where teaming up with friends and questing, as well as role-playing your designed character in the world, is the primary purpose. You're really supposed to write your own story with an MMO style social game, and that's why the concocted plotlines usually fall apart. It's just a different beast from the classic RPG...and they should stay separated instead of making more hybrid games...

Just on a side note, the way the developers left us with Kotor 2 IS an ideal start for a MMO.

Just a few points:

Kotor 2 ended at 3,951 BBY, with an destroyed Jedi order (according to sources, only Bastila Shan, Jolee Bindo, Juhani, and Atris survived, together with the 'Lost Jedi children, which are Atton and the rest of your K2 party).

The next big conflict in the SW timeline are the New Sith Wars, which take place from 2,000 to 1,000 BBY.

So there's actually Thousand year of timeline open to be rewritten. The Jedi is nothing after K2, and at full strenght at the next conflict. Plenty of room to put an MMO in, no?

Plus, the Kotor games left us with severalminteresting features and factions. In Galaxies, everyone wanted to be a Jedi, whilst in Kotor, there are professions and species that can form a challenge for you without being Jedi.

We got the Mandalorians, smuggelers, Republic, Sith Remnant?, Mercenaries, etc.

I think those factions can really appeal to players, and make sure not everyone goes to play a Jedi. Combine this with some...creative skills to power the factions (poision darts for the bounty hunter, cortosis layered swords) and the Jedi aren't that invicible :)

The same thing is currently happening in WoW atm: Blizzard, due to poorly written story, has resorted to killing off every single one of their main characters. Only Arthas is left now, and the next Xpack you get to kill him.

One of the producers of WoW stated that they made an error with Illidan. He was barely present in Burning Crusade. However, he said that they'll try to better include Arthas into the Wrath of the Lich King story.

As far as I know, not every single one of their main characters are dead. Up to now, only Illidan officially died, and no, great spoiler for you all, Kaelthas Sunstrider is not dead. Malfurion, Tyrande, Thrall, Jaina, Maev Shadowsong, etc. are still alive. So no, they're not killing everyone. This isn't the final two episodes of a Gundam serie.

In my opinion, the stories in WoW are decent. You can't really compare them single player RPGs, they're not meant to be the same. It's the same thing as complaining about the background of Battlefield 2 not being fleshed out enough.

Back on topic...

Just on a side note, the way the developers left us with Kotor 2 IS an ideal start for a MMO.

On the other hand, there's close to no Jedi left. Considering it's Star Wars and that, god knows, you need to play as a Jedi, it will be quite stupid to have a bunch of them running around.

Then there's the whole balance factor. How is it possible for Jedi, who are supersoldiers, to be properly balanced with other classes? I have very little doubt in my mind, that a Jedi class will outnumber every other one just because of the name itself. Only certain fans might choose another.

Then there's the decisions the player made when playing the last two games. How will that be handled?

Another problem, bosses. I assume that you will save the galaxy from the true Sith. Kind of silly to forget the whole thing after the last game. How will that be done? In a fantasy MMO, it makes sense to have a group of adventurers take down an evil overlord, but in Star Wars? I always thought that a good Star Wars story needed a climactic confrontation between two arch enemies. Not going to be the case with any KOTOR MMO.

Somebody suggested this in some forum. The KOTOR MMO should take place during the Mandalorian Wars. It would make much more sense.

The myth of MMORPGs making more money -

I don't know why people make such a simplistic calculation, as if MMORPGs had no production costs and were all incredibly successful. Perhaps World of WarCraft clouds everyone's minds. Yes, the game had a lot of success and still is the reigning king, but it's an exception. Will a KOTOR MMO somehow magically make huge amounts of money? I don't know. People will certainly look at it, pay attention to it. Of course, it's Bioware who would make it, assuming the rumor is true. Of course they're good, but, they're humans and can make a bad game. A beta can come out, it might suck and people won't buy the game. It could be a flop.

Don't assume MMO = more money. The end result, the quality of the game, still matters.

I really can't bear the prospect of a KOTOR mmo! It's horrible... I played SWG a few months ago and the community was just really nasty. It's the same crowd that would play a KOTOR MMO, I really don't want to have to associate with these kind of people just to get back into the KOTOR universe.

And we'd probably be charged on top of it, it's just stupid...

It would kill what was special about the first two games. I genuinely hope it doesn't happen.

EDIT: and I don't think there's much point discussing further the possibility or material left for an MMO. The chance of it happening is (unfortunately) very real, there needs to be more focus on finding out if it is happening from a reliable source, and what the majority opinion is. How big the majority is is also relevant, I'm sure everyone would be happy with a normal RPG KOTOR III, but clearly there are people that would argue against an MMO. Surely the safe option is to follow the trend set by KOTOR1 and TSL?

Archived