Home

KotOR III: Descriptive or Cut-Scenes

The Source

KotOR III: Descriptive or Cut-Scenes

One of the most biggest disappointments of "KotOR II" is the ending, which revolved around Kreia's description of your friends and future. Since the ending to the sequal was in complete description, many people may have believed the game didn't have an actual ending. After playing the game for a good thirdy plus hours, you are treated to a descriptive resolution. Kreia rambles about what happened to your friends and Revan.

"Knights of the Old Republic I" treated your hardwork through tombs and levels by giving you an explosive ending, which felt epic, thought out, and fulfilling. Once you reached the end of the game, you gain the sense that you either became a Sith (Ruler of the Gallaxy) or Jedi (Hero of the Gallaxy).

What type of ending do you want in "KotOR III"?

Description or Cut-Scene?

I have to say that I totally prefer the cut-scene ending, mainly because it mad you feel good about ttreated your hardwork through tombs and levels by giving you an explosive ending, which felt epic, thought out, and fulfilling. As you said,

" Once you reached the end of the game, you gain the sense that you either became a Sith (Ruler of the Gallaxy) or Jedi (Hero of the Gallaxy).

he choices that you made throughout the entire game. "

[align=center]^^^^^^^^[/align]

And I have to agree fully with that. :)

After playing the game for a good thirdy plus hours, you are treated to a descriptive resolution. Kreia rambles about what happened to your friends and Revan.

You make that sound like a bad thing. :indif:

What type of ending do you want in "KotOR III"?

Description or Cut-Scene?

Seems kind of silly to be asking them without any context to place it in IMO. Being an un-epic game that focused on the PC and his/her party members, a descriptive ending for TSL made the most sense (unless you'd have preferred a cutscene showing all the party members getting on with their lives during the monologue), as there really isn't any other way to tell how their fates ended than... well, having them told. There is always having a pop-up screen stating what happened to them like in MotB/JE/BG2/HotU, but the only difference is that it's out of the game rather than in it.

K1 in contrast is all about the main character and one big decision they make at the end of the game to determine how it goes. There isn't terribly much need for a monologue about it when it has such a glaringly obvious outcome that can be directly shown without words. (Having Malak ramble that you're going to conquer the galaxy or Vandar saying how safe everyone now is would've been pointless.)

So in short it really is contextual. Depends whether the game chooses to focus entirely on one of the main character's decisions or on all the people and planets present in the game. I'd prefer the later, myself.

" Once you reached the end of the game, you gain the sense that you either became a Sith (Ruler of the Gallaxy) or Jedi (Hero of the Gallaxy). choices that you made throughout the entire game.

Supposing I interpreted that right, are you kidding? The game doesn't give a crap what you do throughout it. You can enslave Kashyyk, drive off Czerka, kill or redeem Bastila, take the light or dark ending for any of the quests out there and it has no bearing at all in how the game ends. It's based solely off one completely black and white decision made not all that far off from the end. Your character could've been Adolf Hitler or Mother Teresa incarnate before that and it wouldn't matter in the slightest.

We did have a cutscene at the end of TSL. A silent one, but a cutscene nevertheless. In the TSLRP, we got another cutscene where we saw HOW Malachor V saved/destroyed. Also, we saw the Unknown Galaxy.

So, why not both? Or...maybe, neither? :)

The DS ending to TSL really felt that I took over the remenants of the Sith Empire. And it actually made me regret taking it over afterwards.

In KOTOR, you are hailed as a hero no matter what, if you are a hero of the Jedi or the Sith. But in the DS ending to TSL, you control a weakened galaxy, destined to collapse in a month. You control it not because of your heroic skills, but because you are the last man standing. You are not a hero. You are not even a 'real' Sith. You are just a tool...of Kreia.

Still, I felt more accomplishments here: I allied with Vaklu to gain Force Senstives for the future Sith Order. I killed off all the Jedi Masters, including Atris. I broke Sion and sacrificed Visas. Those events made me feel like a villian.

Overthrowing Kassyykk, um, was just a sidechoice in the "What do you want to do today?" KOTOR was like that, your final choice was in the end of the game after all. But in TSL, the choice that decides the ending was based on the near-begining of the game, will you save or will you kill the Jedi Masters.

But in TSL, Kriea let you know that you turned the whole galaxy into a wasteland...for your own personal ambitions.

Supposing I interpreted that right, are you kidding? The game doesn't give a crap what you do throughout it. You can enslave Kashyyk, drive off Czerka, kill or redeem Bastila, take the light or dark ending for any of the quests out there and it has no bearing at all in how the game ends. It's based solely off one completely black and white decision made not all that far off from the end. Your character could've been Adolf Hitler or Mother Teresa incarnate before that and it wouldn't matter in the slightest.

Okay, I do think that you misinterpreted me. I first of all quoted what 'The Source' said, but you probably already know that. Second, I was talking about KotOR 1. You 'save' the galaxy, or you somewhat rule it.

Seems kind of silly to be asking them without any context to place it in IMO.
QFT

I hate to agree with Emperor Devon after he made me write unspeaking things in an Outlander Club thread, but I have to agree with his entire post.

Personally, I like games that are focused on the PC. After playing thirty plus hours, I want to know what happens in the future to the party members that followed the PC around on his/her little adventure. I also like games that allow me to decide who the PC is and what the PC motivations are. For all those reasons, I liked TSL ending better than KOTOR. I did not like Malachor V, but once it got to the final battle and the aftermath, I thought it was great. The knowledge Kreia gives about the others fates is more satisfying to me than any generic cut scene.

As Emperor Devon wrote, it all depends on the content of the game as to which ending would be appropriate.

"Knights of the Old Republic I" treated your hardwork through tombs and levels by giving you an explosive ending, which felt epic, thought out, and fulfilling.

I must disagree. In the light side ending, you beat the bad guys, leave, and celebrate in some ceremony that's exactly like in Episode 4. In dark side ending, you kill the big bad guy, take his place, and that's it, which is not only stock but also has been done before at least once (Jedi Knight 1).

Adding to what others have said, there was much that was cut from the 'original vision' of the ending for TSL but that doesn't detract from what was left at all. Again, its all about preference and the idea that some people just don't like open-ended endings (not me though) and some just want to be 'shown' everything. Sometimes it just doesn't work that way.

I do remember something about a little bit of dialogue that was cut out of the PC version of TSL where the person who you have the most influence with (ie romance) asks you at the end if he/she can come with you, where you as the exile reply that they of course cannot (for all the plot related reasons the game has alluded to all this time).

I for one like a bit of both but appreciate what both the visual and written mediums can do for the respective story. I do know that Kreia's little speech at the end about your companions provides for some interesting story links that we ourselves can fill in with our own stories (which I'm doing atm). KOTOR 1 didn't have that, and thus, we have the countless fans wondering what really just happened to all those companions not found in TSL (Oh Jolee, where art thou?!?) ;)

I can see valid points of both ends of the argument. Me personaly I like epicness, I like a crashendo end and a fullfilling end sequence. Could TSL have been better? yea, it could have. Was it still descent? yes it was. I would have to go with both types of ending, a bit of a narritive along with a fabulose cut scene.

The game maker who has perfected the art of a epic ending is Square Enix with thier final fantasy series. Something like what they achieved is what I look for in all games.

I see how you would find similarities between the two games but I really feel that the reason that the FF series has such 'grand' endings is because their games take a lot more time to complete (especially later games). And even then, it was like they weren't truly done. Look at FF7 which is by and large, the most revered chapter in the series. Due to the overwhelming demand for 'continued' adventures with the main characters, we have 2 or 3 side-games, 1 cgi movie, another side game in the works and a rumored 'remake' on PS3. None of which even compares to the original game in terms of quality mainly because all the latter titles were made out of consumer demand and capitalizing on the success of the game. To me its a bit of overkill and would hate to see that much done with Revan and some of these KOTOR characters.

One thing we know about RPG stories is that the tale is never done. Meaning that many current RPGs (KOTOR series included), there is always more than the tale than what the current games have room for but that doesn't mean that we need to be shown the entire lifespan of what these characters do. KOTOR had a fitting ending and KOTOR2 had one as well for their respective storylines, to me nothing more is needed.

But I've rambled again, to each their own I guess.

Cutscene, of course. I don't mind descriptions, but if something big takes place in the end of K3, then why downplay it? I tend to like games with a more epic-like feel.

WHy are you so worried about an ending when it is never going to make in the first place?

Someone seems to know something that the rest of us don't.... ;)

Archived