Home

Recommend a Scifi RPG to me (stupid rhyming)

Weiser_Cain

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or strategy game, I'd like to fly in space and have a character on foot I could customize. It'd be nice if I could customize the ship too.

Once you said customize ship the first game that came to mind is Ratchet and Clank. Since in both the 2nd and 3rd you can color his ship and change his armor

Anyway I recently got Deus Ex so that would be good

No vehicles in Deus Ex. Can't customize the Normandy or the Mako in Mass Effect. However, that really doesn't detract from the games much.

Fallout and Fallout 2 are magnificent RPGs. They take place in a Retro-Futuristic Post-Apocalyptic world. Fallout 2 has a car which can be slightly modified, but other than that, you're on foot. However, the storyline is magnificent, the characters are great, and the gameplay is quite addictive and fun.

Waiting for it on Pc

While I'd go for it too, I wouldn't use the word 'waiting', if you catch my drift. ;)

I can't think of any straight-off space-based RPG other than the two KotORs and this Mass Effect thing rolling about. Deus Ex is my all-time favourite game because it has the best storyline ever and beautiful gameplay mechanics that make for one hell of a ride. There are the Fallout games, which I would recommend you play first. They are brilliant in art design, gameplay, story, environment - they're awesome.

If you've played Dungeon Siege, you might be interested to know that GPG is coming out with Space Siege next year, which is a sci-fi RPG involving plenty of character customization/modification. There are more sci-fi RPGs coming in the next few years any ways.

I think he might mean a user-created mod to Dungeon Siege. One set in a Sci-Fi setting perhaps.

In terms of a Sci-Fi RPG on the computer, I think you might find your choices quite limiting. Other than the titles already mentioned there are very little choices to begin with in that department on the pc. One the console systems however, you have a few more choices to begin with but its only in the last decade or so that we've seen a resurgence on the American style RPG. The japanese counterparts, have tended to put more fantasy into their games but there may be similarities with the KOTOR games to that respect.

The key though is that if you want both of the things your looking for, you may never find it. RPGs for the most part tend to focus on story in terms of customization while allowing for the latter to occur of course. You have something like Dungeon Siege/Diablo style games which focus on customization and gameplay while having the story take a back seat, while others and KOTOR included focuses more on the story and interaction on the characters while allowing the customization.

You might want to try one of the Sci-Fi themed MMORPGs since they have a bit of both and are the closest things to what you want (but you need to pay a monthly fee to play however). Eve and Tabula Rasa come to mind as some possibilities you might want to look into but no game is perfect :p

I suppose Mass Effect is a shooter/action game with RPG elements on it? You should broad your stict view 'bout that. Diablo can be a lot of button-smash, but so does TSL on the Malachor parts. Zelda is an adventure game with RPG elements, not Diablo.

The Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences disagrees with you about Diablo/Diablo II, as does the Almighty Wikipedia.

In addition, I disagree as well. :xp:

Meh. Wikipedia is an unreliable source. I have very rigid requirements for it to actually be an RPG, otherwise, you can pretty much call anything an RPG. From the right perspective, you can call Doom an RPG.

And you are more reliable?

I wasn't aware your opinion was the end-all to what things are and what things aren't.

Well, now you know. And, you know, knowing is half the battle.

Mass Effect contains, for example, a plot, dialog that has slightly more nuance than "Hey, could you go kill 30 Fallen" "I'm Kasha. I sell you mercenaries." And "I'm Gheed. I'm generically slimy and you aren't supposed to like me. Let's trade."

Zelda is more of an RPG than Diablo. What precisely makes Diablo an RPG? Uh...let's see. Well, you gain levels and boost stats. That is not, despite people's perspectives, an intrinsic part of an RPG. I can't think of an RPG without stats right now, but having stats does not an RPG make - I would like to direct my comrade's attention to WarCraft 3. Nobody in their right mind would seriously call the Vanilla game an RPG or even an RPG/RTS hybrid.

Diablo can be a lot of button smash? The understatement of the year! The whole game consists of little more than traveling through wilderness, walking into some God-forsaken crypt and duking it out with Andariel or Mephisto or Diablo or Baal or whatever Demon from Christian mythology they dug up this time, and then you have a short cutscene where some old guy follows Diablo around and then you're in a desert or a mountain or Hell, on your way to put your dukes up against some other hideous fiend...

Anyway, I'm digressing. My point is there's no Roleplaying Element. The characters are more flat than the Inheritance Trilogy, with writing that's two steps up from Eye of Argon. Basically, you have a bunch of Refineries that you deposit Treasure and receive coins which you then place into the Circus of Value to receive Magical Item #0002152666. I can get better RPing with a hamster wheel, two sticks, and puppets. Though puppets ARE pretty awesome.

How on Earth can a game be described as an RPG when NONE of the main characters ever even TALK? I mean, games like Chrono Trigger are kind of annoying where the main character never opens up his jaw and says ANYTHING, but good grief, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance had more conversation that Diablo, not that it says much. The fact that our perspectives are warped enough to place a game like Diablo and Dungeon Siege in the same genre as magnificent pieces of ART like Mass Effect, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, and Planescape: Torment is a testament to our failure as a race and as a society and that we should begin searching our souls for something that redeems us of this blight!

Plus, Dungeon Siege isn't any fun! Well, except for the Uwe Boll adaptation. Life has never been so exciting.

Frankly, I'd like to ask what on Earth Blizzard was smoking when they created the Diablo franchise, but then I take a look at the plotlines for Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, and I realize something very special - they really weren't. Those first three games had about the complexity of plot as you might get from the brain of a Tyrannosaurus Rex. Although I'll credit them this. WarCraft I and II, and Diablo I and II were both quite fun, but frankly, Grignr would have been a welcome adaptation to Diablo's character roster - at least he talks.

In addition, who in the hell got the bright idea that the Action RPG category should be filled like this? Majestic games like Mass Effect and Jade Empire along such drivel as this!? There's magic all around us! Worse than madness, darkness! The decline of a society when it denigrates a Bioware work to the same scrapheap that they buried the E.T. game in! This is ridiculous! Why on Earth does the Action RPG genre exist? Just split them in two! One set goes to the Action genre, the other goes back into the RPG genre and we can all be happy instead of straddling the fence trying to appeal to both sides of the market!

It's essentially a matter of dialogue. When I hear more "RAAAAGHs!" from my Barbarian over the course of gameplay than I do talking to characters in the towns, even combining the villainous dialogues and cutscenes, there's a very serious problem. That problem is SHIFTING GENRES! Good grief, Half Life 2 has more dialogue than Dungeon Siege, Dungeon Siege 2, Diablo, Diablo 2, and D2: LOD COMBINED. Of course, Half-Life 2 is surprisingly wordy for a First Person Shooter (And incredibly fun too) but when something from the Genre that has pretty much been universally considered the genre for twitchy twelve year olds with more mountain dew in their veins than blood has more dialog than something that claims to exist within the ROLEPLAYING GAME genre, there's a very serious problem.

In closing, Diablo 2 is not an RPG by virtue of having less conversation that doesn't consist of WAAAAAGH, DA ORKS and it's offshoots that it literally CANNOT be an RPG because of it's predecessors within the genre. I've had single conversations in Mass Effect that have more words than most of the Acts in Diablo 2!

Well, now you know. And, you know, knowing is half the battle.

Do you enjoy alienating people with your confrontational and know-it-all attitude? Because that's precisely what you're doing. You're consistently arrogant and brash and it doesn't lend itself to good discussion.

Zelda is more of an RPG than Diablo.

Why?

What precisely makes Diablo an RPG? Uh...let's see. Well, you gain levels and boost stats. That is not, despite people's perspectives, an intrinsic part of an RPG.

Um, then why does every single computer RPG ever made have some form of this element implemented in it?

I can't think of an RPG without stats right now,

How convenient.

I would like to direct my comrade's attention to WarCraft 3. Nobody in their right mind would seriously call the Vanilla game an RPG or even an RPG/RTS hybrid.

It's not an RPG, no. But it does have RPG elements, namely the leveling up of heroes and such.

Diablo can be a lot of button smash? The understatement of the year! The whole game consists of little more than traveling through wilderness, walking into some God-forsaken crypt and duking it out with Andariel or Mephisto or Diablo or Baal or whatever Demon from Christian mythology they dug up this time, and then you have a short cutscene where some old guy follows Diablo around and then you're in a desert or a mountain or Hell, on your way to put your dukes up against some other hideous fiend...

All while leveling up, speaking to NPCs and modifying equipment/spells/skills, all generally accepted hallmarks of computer RPGs!

Anyway, I'm digressing. My point is there's no Roleplaying Element.

Ah, here's were we get to the crux of your little diatribe. Based on a previous statement you've made, all computer games can be defined as role-playing games, in that when you play, you take on the role of the character in the game and go through it as that person. So everything is a role-playing game!

How on Earth can a game be described as an RPG when NONE of the main characters ever even TALK? I mean, games like Chrono Trigger are kind of annoying where the main character never opens up his jaw and says ANYTHING

Um, most of the eastern RPGs like Chrono Trigger/Cross and Final Fantasy feature silent protagonists. Do you not consider them RPGs?

The fact that our perspectives are warped enough to place a game like Diablo and Dungeon Siege in the same genre as magnificent pieces of ART like Mass Effect, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, and Planescape: Torment is a testament to our failure as a race and as a society and that we should begin searching our souls for something that redeems us of this blight!

Your penchant for hyperbole is amusing.

And it's easy enough to group them together when they share a number of similar elements like, experience systems, quests, exploration, NPC interaction.

Frankly, I'd like to ask what on Earth Blizzard was smoking when they created the Diablo franchise

Obviously something really good, since their Diablo franchise is rather successful.

but then I take a look at the plotlines for Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, and I realize something very special - they really weren't. Those first three games had about the complexity of plot as you might get from the brain of a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

Why are you looking for plot in an RTS? They're all basically the same thing, just with different background flavoring.

In addition, who in the hell got the bright idea that the Action RPG category should be filled like this?

Um, the people that make the games?

Why on Earth does the Action RPG genre exist?

Because it's a subset of the whole computer RPG genre that many a game can fall into for easy classification?

Just split them in two! One set goes to the Action genre, the other goes back into the RPG genre and we can all be happy instead of straddling the fence trying to appeal to both sides of the market!

As far as I know, you're the only person I know who is this riled up about a simple matter of classification. Does it cheapen your Mass Effect experience to know that it's grouped in the same genre as Diablo II? I certainly hope not, because that would be immensely silly.

when something from the Genre that has pretty much been universally considered the genre for twitchy twelve year olds with more mountain dew in their veins than blood has more dialog than something that claims to exist within the ROLEPLAYING GAME genre, there's a very serious problem.

Funny how no one else seems to think so.

In closing, Diablo 2 is not an RPG by virtue of having less conversation that doesn't consist of WAAAAAGH, DA ORKS and it's offshoots that it literally CANNOT be an RPG because of it's predecessors within the genre. I've had single conversations in Mass Effect that have more words than most of the Acts in Diablo 2!

In closing, Diablo II is generally considered an RPG by most of the gaming world (including the previously mentioned AIAS and several gaming publications) by virtue of possessing commonly accepted RPG elements such as an experience/leveling system, quests, NPCs, etc. I'm sorry it didn't have as much dialogue as you would have liked, but that doesn't change the fact that most people consider it one of the most successful action role-playing games ever. You're free to think what you want, but I don't believe you'll find very many people who would agree with you.

Do you enjoy alienating people with your confrontational and know-it-all attitude? Because that's precisely what you're doing. You're consistently arrogant and brash and it doesn't lend itself to good discussion.

...You do realize the degree of sarcasm in the preceding statement, right?

Why?

If you take the Zelda series as a whole, it actually has a decent plotline. Diablo has no plotline worth talking about.

Um, then why does every single computer RPG ever made have some form of this element implemented in it?

Point taken. I'll rephrase. Stat-building is not the core of an RPG. You can have a game with stats that is not an RPG and you could potentially have an RPG without stats.

It's not an RPG, no. But it does have RPG elements, namely the leveling up of heroes and such.

Yup. Just like Diablo is an Action/Adventure game with some slight amounts of RPG elements.

All while leveling up, speaking to NPCs and modifying equipment/spells/skills, all generally accepted hallmarks of computer RPGs!

Does not justify it being in the genre. There is no degree of Roleplaying.

Ah, here's were we get to the crux of your little diatribe. Based on a previous statement you've made, all computer games can be defined as role-playing games, in that when you play, you take on the role of the character in the game and go through it as that person. So everything is a role-playing game!

That wasn't serious. I was referring that, to take the term Role Playing Game as is, you can call anything an RPG. I'm pretty sure you understood that.

Um, most of the eastern RPGs like Chrono Trigger/Cross and Final Fantasy feature silent protagonists. Do you not consider them RPGs?

Already addressed that. Silent Protagonists are one thing. You'll notice that the characters Marle, Lucca, Frog, Magus, Robo, and Ayla talk quite a lot. Also, I've never seen a Final Fantasy with a Silent Protagonist, although I actually haven't played 1-3.

Your penchant for hyperbole is amusing.

Hey, it's what I do.

And it's easy enough to group them together when they share a number of similar elements like, experience systems, quests, exploration, NPC interaction.

I'm frankly nauseated that people consider the drivel in Diablo 2 to be NPC Interaction. It's about as close to proper interaction as a sales pitch is to a healthy conversation.

Obviously something really good, since their Diablo franchise is rather successful.

It is fun if you like that kind of thing. Doesn't make it an RPG.

Why are you looking for plot in an RTS? They're all basically the same thing, just with different background flavoring.

I look for a plot in everything. I may not play it for the plot, but a good plot is a good thing no matter what genre. Half-Life 2 is an FPS and has a GREAT plot.

Um, the people that make the games?

Name the last self-proclaimed Hack and Slash game that did well.

Because it's a subset of the whole computer RPG genre that many a game can fall into for easy classification?

My protest is that Mass Effect and Dungeon Siege are as different as a Buddha Statue and Dihydrogen Monoxide. By the way, that's the whole Hyperbole thing again.

As far as I know, you're the only person I know who is this riled up about a simple matter of classification. Does it cheapen your Mass Effect experience to know that it's grouped in the same genre as Diablo II? I certainly hope not, because that would be immensely silly.

Not really. I just got bored so I wrote up an oversized rant.

Funny how no one else seems to think so.

Set up a poll!

In closing, Diablo II is generally considered an RPG by most of the gaming world (including the previously mentioned AIAS and several gaming publications) by virtue of possessing commonly accepted RPG elements such as an experience/leveling system, quests, NPCs, etc. I'm sorry it didn't have as much dialogue as you would have liked, but that doesn't change the fact that most people consider it one of the most successful action role-playing games ever. You're free to think what you want, but I don't believe you'll find very many people who would agree with you.

Of course it is! Nobody questions it! Besides, that's what Blizzard's official designation for it is because nobody in their right mind actually calls a game a Hack & Slash because Hack & Slash has negative connontations.

I refuse to call Diablo an RPG because there is no Roleplaying. The 'characters' might as well just be a set of wands that are capable of turning Gold into Shadow Dragon Plate Armor of Azerbaijani Kill Kill Carnage and back again.

Planetscape, Fallout 1 & 2, a lot of games have been named Weiser_Cain, and though they're somewhat old, you'll probably like them.

Rogue Nine posted much of my points there regarding your argue about RPGs, Corinthian. Besides, I'm too lazy to answer much of those so-called points you made on that oversized rant of yours. Just a thing.

Already addressed that. Silent Protagonists are one thing. You'll notice that the characters Marle, Lucca, Frog, Magus, Robo, and Ayla talk quite a lot. Also, I've never seen a Final Fantasy with a Silent Protagonist, although I actually haven't played 1-3.

Talk about a japanese game more westernized.

Archived