Home

Psychonauts: Is the PS2 version different than the Xbox one?

Kroms

I should be shot for not yet having played Psychonauts but I want to*, and I was wondering if anyone knew whether the two versions were different? Does the PS2 one have slowdowns, or does it have less text, or anything?

Oh, I'd appreciate no-one putting in any spoilers. I really wanna play this game.

Thanks.

* play Psychonauts, not get shot

Edit: In case you see this on the Double Fine forums I figured I'd put it there to get a variety of answers.

Yeah, the PS2 version definitely isn't recommended.

All three versions of the game are pretty much identical on a content level, but the graphical fidelity goes in the order 'PC, Xbox, PS2' (best to worst). The PC has the full shebang, with every shader effect and nicety hardware could produce at the time; the Xbox basically has a slightly inferior version of the PC version's shaders, etc; and the PS2 version lacks most of the shaders altogether.

The PS2's versions lack of shaders is most evident with the loss of the 'bloom' glowy effect the game makes heavy use of, which practically destroys the beauty of levels like Sasha's Mind and Black Velvetopia. There're also less special effects (or less complex special effects), lower-resolution textures, and no anti-aliasing (removal of jagged edges).

• 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately, that was the only one that I could get at the time (the ps2 one) because my graphics card crapped out...the graphics weren't nearly as good as the other versions, and is it just me, or was it a little buggy?

It was pretty buggy. The voices were out of sync, the music skipped often, the graphics weren't nearly as good as PC version and on more than one occasion it froze. I got so annoyed with the PS2 version I sold it and bought the PC game instead.

Archived