Home

OJP 1.3 Roadmap

DarthDie

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I added a stance for makashi based upon the logic that the arrogant mentality would warrant such a dangerous stance and no one likes it :shrug:

Or as you put it in-game

"You look like an arrogant fool who's about to parry an overhead slash with reverse grip"

Or something like that.

On teh wookiepedia there's a picture of Dooku's ''opening stance'' for Makashi though, which looks like the previous one.

I'm of the opinion that stances tend to be shared amongst the different forms, just as many similar/same stances are used in different strategic situations or techniques amongst different sword schools.

That stance you're referring to is called jodan no kamae in kenjutsu - it's used to psychologically and physically dominate your opponent by assuming a highly aggressive posture. You can imagine that it is probably (and has been shown in the movies) used amongst the more aggressive saberists in Star Wars who each practice different forms (Dooku, Anakin, Mace, Palpy, and Luke, briefly). For the sake of ID purposes within a game though, you can probably attribute the nature of jodan to Djem So. I wouldn't change the current stance for Djem So, though.

I've gone through the humanoid.gla looking for a stance more suitable to the spirit of Juyo and came across something that looks a bit like kasumi no kamae. This stance is assumed for situations where, as an example, the other guy is threatening you with a jodan and you aim your sword right between his eyes. It's meant to be a deceptive stance where it's hard to predict whether you'll move up for a parry or simply cut the other guy's head in one swift movement. You're also leaving yourself open intentionally to bait the other guy to attack in a manner that overextends themselves from center line, leaving you with an opportunity to spill their guts open.

Anyhoo:

Juyo: right side

Juyo: front right 3/4 #1

Juyo: front right 3/4 #2

Juyo: front #1

Juyo: front #2

Juyo: left 3/4

Juyo: left side

Juyo: rear left 3/4

It's similar to the stance Revan assumed on his flagship, but on the right side instead. Using a right side-oriented stance flowed better with the attack swings and fakes existent for Juyo. I was intending to do a 2-frame animation loop to simulate breathing, but the following frame pointed the saber too far off-center; if I can figure out how to use Dragon maybe that can be done.

I did have some luck making a "breathing" Shii-cho stance, though. It's similar to the old one, except the saber's pointed forward a tiny bit in a slightly threatening posture. It's also a bit similar to the default KotOR lightsaber stance.

Shii-cho: front left 3/4

Shii-cho: rear

Shii-cho: right

Update

OK, not a lot of choices for Makashi right now, but this one's a lot more relaxed than the previous incarnations that we have used. Nothing's more deceptively arrogant than assuming a relaxed, almost lackadaisical off-center low guard that other people think they can take advantage of. However, the grip is still a classical fencer's grip, slightly angled for maximum dexterity of the wrist. A forward grip like this preserves the range, precision, and fine manipulation incredibly lacking in a reverse grip. The older version of this stance looked way too uncomfortable - imagine having to raise your arm up like that all the time, it gets tiring after a very short while - or the reverse grip, where you're probably feeling like you're going to develop arthritis someday from having to hold that saber in that particular way.

Added bonus is that if you use a curved hilt (as shown in the pictures below), if you look down slightly below horizontal, your saber drags a little bit on the floor, adding to the relaxed yet menacing posture of the stance.

Makashi: right side

Makashi: front right 3/4 #1

Makashi: front right 3/4 #2 (saber dragging)

Makashi: front view

Makashi: front left 3/4

Makashi: rear left 3/4

Makashi: rear view

Makashi: rear right 3/4

indeed, theres multiple opening stances that can be used on most styles that can be effective, Serosu for instance was used with 2 different opening stances as seen by Obi one Kenobi in episode 3, the fight with General grievous.

"Aggressive Back" is a more radical stance than most, aggressive back is a low posture from which a swift attack can be launched. The back foot is pointed out almost ninety-degrees from the body and is holding over eighty-percent of the weight. The front foot is extended forward, almost straight. The lightsaber is held on the dominant side, right beside the head, its blade facing directly forward. Like aggressive neutral, this stance is only useful for taking on a single enemy armed with a lightsaber, especially since it obstructs view of the right side of the body.

This is Obi-wan's stance from Episode III. He uses it mainly in facing General Greivous, alternating at times with aggressive neutral. This leaves him open to attack from surrounding droids, but he realizes that danger is minute in scope to giving Grievous one inch of advantage. Darth Sidious also uses this stance often during his fights against Jedi Master Mace Windu and Yoda.

During the duel, Grievous's craven reflexes kicked in, and his inability to penetrate Kenobi's Form III defense made his offense grow sloppy. Kenobi took advantage of this and altered the angle of his parries to cut Grievous's wrists.

And its interesting to note that theres variation of styles, Vaapad being a variant lightsaber form of Juyo, much like Shien is for Djem So.. Sokan for Ataru. Jun-Sai for Shii-Cho... Chodan for Serosu, and Trachata for Niman.

Theres also variations of styles, coupled with different stances that really go deep into lightsaber combat that isn't even touched in most games.

Y'know, if you want to quote from Wookieepedia's Talk pages, you could just link it. And Jun-Sai and all that other stuff are fanon (except Sokan, which isn't a form, more like a combat strategy in the tradition of Sun Tzu).

What do you mean Fanon ?

another interesting note.

Niman utilizes the basic principles of Jar Kai, thus makes it a stepping stone to learning dual bladed lightsaber combat. So Jar'Kai is another subform...

and yes Sokan is a combat philosophy, not a subform thanks for clearing that up..

and the martial arts/lightsaber form Kai-Kan(which is also the name for martial arts/lightsaber duel reenactments)

This is getting rather off-topic. Fanon = stuff that fans made up and try to pass it off as canon.

Liek dis - Form VIII Way of the Taun-Taun for the lulz

Anyhoo I think T-21 should go back to filling the close-range shotgun role. Primary shot fires a conic spread with a radius that increases with mishap, secondary shot does what it currently does.

Umm...charge up force powers :D

fanon.?? i read it on Wookipedia.

Adi Gallia's used Djem So subform Shien.

Ki-Adi-Mundi used Makashi subform Chodan.

Eeth Koth used the Niman subform Trachata.

Agen Kolar used the Kai-Kan style.

Kit Fisto used Shii-Cho subform Jan-Sai. also Evan Piell used this form,

never heard of some of those characters have you?, they exist in the star wars universe. It's all canon. Read about those starwars characters and you'll see that they used those subforms. :D

if your wondering who yaddle and evan Piell is

http://www.starwars.com/episode-i/fun/snapshot/1999/06/img/council_bg.jpg

yaddles in the middle and evan is on the right.

No they didn't. All of that is bull**** fanon/fan fiction that most of the time isn't even supported by Lucas or even Nick Gillard.

I'm not accepting that as an argument because of what I told you; every style is different, every stance is different, and no way in hell that is the way of the turtoise a freaking form.

the ones that have been verified by Lucas, is Sokan combat philosophy. theres many references to it. Also Vaapad, Shien and Jar'Kai....those are the subforms that are references from trustable sources.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shien

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sokan

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Niman_/_Jar'Kai

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Form_VII:_Juyo_/_Vaapad

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Djem_So

however im not entirely sure about Trachata, Kai-Kan, Jan-Sai and Chodan. They have little reference so im guessing they are probably not canon.

read all the subforms here, on the end of the explanation for Vaapad. i doubt its source is trusted, cause its mentioned only vaguely ....

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Lightsaber_combat#Form_VII

I think you guys are right. Its fan fiction, :D ooopsss

That Jun Sai blah blah blah stuff is just fanon. You can probably blame one of them RPG peeps for trying to pass them off as official. They're not on Wookieepedia for a reason.

Kai-kan isn't a form, it's just a re-enactment. Kind of like a more ritualistic version of two-man katas.

Adi Gallia's Shien isn't the same as Form V. Trakata's just a saber technique that makes you look really badass (i.e. Kenobi in Episode II literally disarming Zam Wessell, Corran Horn vs Shedao Shai during the Vong War). Anyway, this doesn't have any bearing on the v1.3 roadmap. Can we move on now, por favor?

Vaapad is ....

the vaapad, also known as the juyo, was a creature native to the Galactic Republic energy-world of Sarapin and its moons.

Vaapads were brown ball shape multi-tentacled creatures with two yellow eyes, with the number of tentacles varying from as low as seven to as many as twenty-three on the largest example ever examined. The tentacles of a live vaapad were almost impossible to count, as they moved extremely quickly to destroy its prey.

Mace Windu developed a lightsaber style based upon the vaapad. The style used quick and deadly strikes to overcome the enemy, much like how the vaapad would use it's tentacles on prey. Windu created this style with aid from Sora Bulq, although Windu and his former apprentice, Depa Billaba, are considered to be the form's only masters. The Vaapad lightsaber technique is considered aggressive. Mace Windu frequently warned Quinlan Vos against using it. The fact that it was aggressive eventually led to Sora Bulq's and Depa Billaba's turning to the dark side of the Force.

too..much..saberforms.....talk...make it...stop...(starts hitting myself in the head repeatedly with a fraying pan)

its cause ur christian and we atheists h8u lololol

lol jk hey UDM we need to talk on MSN.

Die Christians!! :fire3:(shoots UDM, darthdie, and JRHockney)....oh crap....

Archived