Home

Google Chrome

tk102

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm kinda attached to Firefox; Chrome will have to be really really good to convince me to change.

I highly doubt if Chrome will be replacing Firefox anytime soon. It's a great browser to have by your side no doubt, but you just can't touch Firefox! :D

Especially seeing as with Firefox's addons architecture, any new feature in Chrome can be ported over to Firefox sooner or later. I'd also expect many Chrome conversion addons to come in soon. I like that tabs-on-title-bar idea, I could use that...

lolz... people like being clingy with stuff dont they. Many were the same when FF first came out.

Anyway, the more I look into the chrome, the more intersting it sounds... and also, the overlap between it and FF and Apple safari is significant... It is quite evident Google said "lets take the good bits from FF and safari and come up with somethin clean, and fast"

Google hired FF lead engineer Ben Goodger in 2005(part time!) to lead the work on chrome... source.. To develop chrome, google also utilised Apples webkit, which is part of safari of course source

And the good news to all net users.... Chrome is OSource. There is nothing stopping good bits of it making it into FF(and vice versa)...

Funny thing is that Mozilla Foundation CEO seems to be moaning, as opposed to saying, "its great...its an impetus for us to work hard and improve" ...

I still dont like part of Google practises, but this is a great idea. Wanting to take succesful components and make something new and innovative(that will be accessible to everyone), has to be applauded IMO.

Conclusion:

try chrome suckers! It wont be your number 1 browser yet, but theres some cool features on it you'll wish FF had :) and if youre still using IE....well, my sympathies :D

>>now, off to sort out adbliocking .....

mtfbwya

And the good news to all net users.... Chrome is OSource. There is nothing stopping good bits of it making it into FF(and vice versa)...

Actually the process management of Chrome is significantly different than that of Firefox. The neat things you can do with the tabs in Chrome for example would not translate easily into Firefox. Open source doesn't mean compatibility but at least the features will be transparent for add-on developers to get ideas from. The ease of cross-implementation of features would be deterimined a case-by-case basis. I'm thinking FF add-ons will be easier to port to Chrome than the other way around though.

Heh, managed to crash it. I was watching a YouTube video that seemed to be locking up the browser occasionally to the point that the browser went unresponsive. Then I get a neat message telling me that the Shockwave Flash plugin has gone unresponsive, and if Chrome should stop it. I was like hell no, and the browser remained frozen.

I quit it forcefully and it left without a fuss.

The ease of cross-implementation of features would be deterimined a case-by-case basis.

The fact that developers are open to cross implementation it is refreshing in itself. Writers of famous FF extensions (eg. adblock plus) are getting bombarded with port requests... Mr Palant(the author of said extension) at least, does not seem to happy about chrome atm ... :p

"im sure someone will write an adblocking plugin, it just wont be me"

In any event, it wont be long til some chromesque features trickle into FF ;)

mtfbwya

• 2 months later...

Was just looking for some plugins to Chrome today and saw one that might be handy for forum posting. The Dual View plugin lets you split your screen so you can do things like view one pane while composing in the other.

dualviewhl7.png

Edit:

For AdBlock functionality within Chrome, you can install Greasemetal which will allow you use ad-blocking javascripts. More information about Greasemetal is available. The scripts seem to work pretty well, but they don't have customized settings for tweaking which ads you want to block like Adblock Plus.

Archived