Home

Google Chrome

tk102

There's a new browser in town.

Google announced that it's going be releasing its new browser, Chrome, today by sending out a comic book. Some screenshots have been posted here, but it appears the download links for the browser have been disabled for the moment.

What does this mean to IE? Google's strategy has been to outflank Microsoft's operating system dominance by catering to the increasing importance of the Web as a platform. The browser is a essentially the Window to that platform. It's likely that Google Docs, Picasa albums, Gmail, Google Maps, and of course Google Search could all be integrated even more so than what we're used to. And you worried about how much Google knew about you already... Fortunately the browser is claimed to be open-source, which hopefully Google stays true to -- Android is an supposedly an open source Google project as well, but Google has lost some of the trust with the developer community with some recent activities.

Mozilla and Google have had a partnership for awhile where Google has provided some engineering help (and probably borrowing some ideas as well) and has paid to get Google listed as the main search engine within Firefox. Those deals were renewed through 2011 according to the Wall Street Journal.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's just see what this browser will be. I personally use Firefox, as in my opinion it is better that IE, but I have no problem to change it, if Chrome is good enough...

EDIT: Ray's post reminds me of this:

;) I couldn't find "Money makes the world go round", so I found this!

|I|

Call me paranoid, but at the moment I don't feel like like giving Google any further information of mine. I don't fully trust Google Gears which allows browser applications to "seamlessly interact" with my desktop and comes built-in with Chrome. I don't see much distinction between that and ActiveX.

Call me paranoid, but at the moment I don't feel like like giving Google any further information of mine. I don't fully trust Google Gears which allows browser applications to "seamlessly interact" with my desktop and comes built-in with Chrome. I don't see much distinction between that and ActiveX.

Which is why I have a wait and see attitude.

Or Linux for that matter. I remember reading somewhere that they are working on a version for Linux and/or Mac.

Yeah, I signed up for the release news... just wanted to try it out on the mac here at work since I could care less what Google learns/tracks about JTV :lol:

Not sure I want this at home where things are more "sensitive" and directly nosing in to my business ;)

Well after reading the entire comic (which wasn't working for me this morning), I have to say the whole Chrome project looks very promising and that perhaps I was a bit paranoid earlier. I like the idea of process isolation between tabs and the sandbox security model that goes with it. The compiled-javascript VM, the dynamic "home page", and the privacy modes are all good ideas and have piqued my interest level.

picture.php?albumid=148&pictureid=1691

If Gmail is awesome, then obviously Chrome is going to be twice as good as Gmail and maybe better then FireFox, we will see when its out.

Simply because it's from the same people doesn't automatically qualify success or quality.

But, as you say, we shall see.

Archived