Home

Exo-planet Fomalhaut B

Achilles

For those of you that are interested in geeky stuff like this, the first images of a planet outside of our solar system were released today. We've been able to detect exo-planets for a while, but now that we're able to take pictures of some of them, I think things are about to get a lot cooler. Thank goodness the U.S. government decided to keep funding for Hubble :)

News article with small color image

This is very exciting. I imagine soon enough we will have somewhat better images and be able to see what they look like instead of just specs. I'm really looking forward to it.

I think we have discovered around 290 extra-solar planets so far.

If that doesn't,
will. Antares (third from last) is currently visible just before sunset in the Northern Hemisphere. :)

It's one thing to read all the facts and figures, but when you see them like that it really puts things in perspective.

:eek: Wow... VY Canis Majoris is HUGE... I knew we had gigantic stars out there, but I didn't think they got THAT big... Is it a Red Giant? It looks like it should be, but I'm not sure...

wondersoftechnology.jpg

Oh, the wonders of the internets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VY_Canis_Majoris

VY Canis Majoris (VY CMa) is a red hypergiant star located in the constellation Canis Major. It is the largest known star and also one of the most luminous known. It is located about 1.5 kiloparsecs (or 5,000 light-years) away from Earth.

University of Minnesota professor Roberta M. Humphreys estimates the radius of VY CMa at 1800 to 2100 solar radii.[2] To illustrate, if our Sun were replaced with VY Canis Majoris, its surface would extend to the orbit of Saturn. Assuming the upper size limit of 2100 solar radii, light would take more than 8 hours to travel around the star's circumference. Dr. Humphreys recently estimated that the largest possible star is approximately 2,600 times the radius of the Sun.

Archived