Home

DEAD KENNEDYS HOLIDAY IN CAMBODIA VIDEO

EXzSoldier

Put this up for the enjoyment o fpeople who like punk rock, also listen carfully to the lyrics and tell me if you the this band is racist. oh and if you cant undrstnad lyrics you could all ways look them up

Yeah, songs with lyrics like that won't fly here because of expletives. --Jae

Sort of an odd place to put this, but yeah, they're not racist; Holiday in Cambodia was a song dealing with the horrors of Pol Pot's dictatorship in Cambodia after the Vietnam War, and specifically, how the rest of the world seemingly looked away while his government was committing virtual genocide on its people.

And yes, DK was boss. I still sing a lot of their songs to myself everyday.

I'm tired of self respect

I can't afford a car

I wanna be a prefab superstar

I wanna be a tool

Don't need no soul

Wanna make big money

Playing rock and roll

I'll make my music boring

I'll play my music slow

I ain't no artist, I'm a business man

No ideas of my own

I won't offend

Or rock the boat

Just sex and drugs

And rock and roll

Drool, drool, drool, drool, drool, drool

My Payola!

Drool, drool, drool, drool, drool, drool

My Payola!

That depends. You can't just rule out lyrics like that, for some people they are the essence of music, for some people guitar shredding is.

The difference between singing and playing guitar is that you can be great at guitar. You can master guitar. You can be a legend of the instrument. But pretty much anyone with a shred of musical talent can pick up a guitar and learn how to play. Not to say that it doesn't take a lot of talent to play like Morello or Slash, or Herman Li. But it's not impossible to learn it.

For vocals, it's different. Both lyrics and voice are supposed to be original, totally unlike anything before them. A lot of bands add layers to their music with metaphors and symbolism, to achieve something with their music in their own unique perspective. And, more importantly, try as you might, you can never sing exactly like someone else. It is inconceivably improbable that your vocal chords sound just like Serj Tankian, or Simone Simons, or Axel Rose. The voice of the band is, in many ways, the identity of the band, and the words and lyrics of the band reflect their ideas, perspectives, thoughts, dreams, ideas and individualities. (I am assuming we're talking about good bands, and not bands like Panic! at the Disco, or Smashing Pumpkins)

Guitar shredding is guitar shredding.

I take it that none of you's would like Death Metal or any genre of music that involves growling then.

If I want to listen to someone scream at me, I'll call my mother--it doesn't require any money.

However, I do like Red, Skillet, and Lacuna Coil so I can tolerate some of it.

However, I do like Red, Skillet, and Lacuna Coil so I can tolerate some of it.

I listen to these groups too. I am not really into the hardcore stuff.

Although that Epica-Facade of Reality wasn't bad. I'm not into that stuff though. That was a little bit too hard for me anyway....

Personally, I enjoy harsh vocals, as it lends itself to heavy music more as an added instrument than a way to get a message across, but I enjoy some clean vocals as well on occasion.

As do I, I can listen top any vocals, and love it, even songs without vocals, it's just the voice, not the way it's sung, that can annoy me.

Put this up for the enjoyment o fpeople who like punk rock, also listen carfully to the lyrics and tell me if you the this band is racist. oh and if you cant undrstnad lyrics you could all ways look them up...

*sigh*

DK Racist? You are kidding surely. Considering one of their band members was black, and Jelo was(still is) an outspoken gay rights activist, prejudice was something they were protesting against rather than committing... especially so when you take into consideration their vehement stance against Neo Nazism, as evidenced in their famous tracks "Nazi Punks **** Off' and 'California Uber Alles'

'Holiday In Cambodia' was a protest song against the systematic human rights violations being perpetuated by the Khmer Rouge Rulers of Cambodia in 1975-79, under the brutal leadership of Pol Pot.

Under his reign, an (conservative)estimate 1 million people were executed for belonging to one of several categories of "enemies" to the state. These included:

*anyone with connections to the former government or with foreign governments

*professionals and intellectuals - in practice this included almost everyone with an education, or even people wearing glasses (which, according to the regime, meant that they were literate)

*ethnic Vietnamese, ethnic Chinese, Cambodian Christians, Muslims and the Buddhist monks

*Homosexuals

*"Economic saboteurs" urban dwellers deemed to be guilty of by virtue of their lack of agricultural ability.

If you want to have a deeper understanding of what happenned in Cambodia, read up on The Killing Fields, or see the great(but harrowing)1984 Film.

Please do some research next time. It really wouldnt be hard tracking down articles describing what DK were all about.

mtfbwya

Archived