Home

URGENT: Desktop Not Booting After Attempted Repair

Marius Fett

Ok, I just convinced my mother to let me open up the family PC to clean out some of the dust, as it's not been done in ages.

I took the case off, took some dust off the case.

I then took off the CPU heatsink, and cleaned that, then screwed it back on, and closed the machine up again.

Now it wont work! :(

It powers up, but I just get a blank screen. It won't load the OS, and even the option to go into Safe Mode or my BIOS doesn't appear.

Mam has said that I have to pay for the repairs myself, so I'd appreciate it if anyone could think of what I could have done wrong.

PLEASE! :(

I only unplugged the CPU fan, which I then put back in place and connected again..

I didn't really touch anything so I can't see how I could have broke anything off.

I grounded myself by touching the metal of the case every so often.

I cleaned it with the nozzle on my hoover. (Sucked the dust out)

Yeah, if you removed the heatsink, chances are that you'll have to reapply thermal grease. Make sure that you clean all of the old grease off with some strong (at least 70%) isopropyl alcohol before you reapply. I've also heard that you can use nail polish remover as well.

whoa Marius! you don't have much luck do you! Apart from the TIM everyone is mentioning, I'd also look at resetting cmos , and also look at whether your mainboard has one of those case-tampering switches.

with Arctic silver etc, please follow their instructions: its often as little as 1/2 a grain of rice volume of paste on centre, or a just line across the CPU heatspreader.

mtfbwya

Archived