Home

Ordered this (PC) online... repeatedly played and loved KotOR. How is it? (spoilers)

Darth Ayebaw

Heh, first post here after browsing for a few hours. Seems "Darth" is found in 75% of all user names here... oh well, the second part of my user name will give it originality (cookie to whoever knows what game it's from; the greatest game to this day IMO).

Anyways, I read the plot twist for KotOR on GameFAQs before I acquired the game (my own fault for ignoring spoiler warnings >_<), but it was still great when I finally got to that part.

I hear the major issue with this game is that it was rushed, that it's incomplete with a crappy ending. Is this really as bad as people make it out to be?

What new force powers are there? I loved Force Storm for groups, and Kill for single opponents in KotOR (in my most recent play through I used Kill exclusively to defeat Malik, after draining the captives of course).

How are the new party members? Do you get any of the old ones? If so, do they have anything to say about the characters from KotOR?

Are there any good romance options? Are they more than just the G-rated ones in KotOR? Can you still complete it even with a DS playthrough?

What are the major changes to equipping/items/battling?

When do you become force sensitive?

Is there a long place in the beginning? Most people I've seen hate Taris, but I absolutely love it!

Is there a good plot twist or betrayal in this game?

Since I'm getting it for the PC, I could download mods to complete some of the cut stuff, right? I did restore some content to KotOR, and I firmly disagree with the decision to cut most of the hidden content...

Sorry for the wall of questions, but I'm just eager to play already... also, you can reveal minor stuff, but please no major spoilers until I get the game...

What new force powers are there? I loved Force Storm for groups, and Kill for single opponents in KotOR (in my most recent play through I used Kill exclusively to defeat Malik, after draining the captives of course).

loads! you should find out when you get to the game and jaw drop at some of the ones youll get later in the game.

I hear the major issue with this game is that it was rushed, that it's incomplete with a crappy ending. Is this really as bad as people make it out to be?
dont get influenced by other people's opinions about that. you should play through and decide whether you agree with it or not.

There isn't an objective answer to this question. You will either love the game or you will hate it.

What new force powers are there?
A lot.

So many that there are some that you will never use.

How are the new party members?
Almost all the party NPCs are new characters.

Do you get any of the old ones?
Yup.

If so, do they have anything to say about the characters from KotOR?
Yup.

Are there any good romance options?
Depends on whether or not you share Chris Avellone's views on video game romances. If yes, then yes there are some good options. If not, then you will probably be disappointed.

Are they more than just the G-rated ones in KotOR?
Not sure what you're asking. Nudity?

The "romance" dialogs are probably a little bit more grown up, but we're talking about themes, not graphics.

Can you still complete it even with a DS playthrough?
Yes.

What are the major changes to equipping/items/battling?
Too many to list here. Combat is still turn based. Upgrades are seriously overhauled. Equipment has new GUI options and AI.

When do you become force sensitive?
The beginning of the game.

Is there a long place in the beginning? Most people I've seen hate Taris, but I absolutely love it!
Same here. Peragus is my favorite part of TSL.

Is there a good plot twist or betrayal in this game?
Yes. Betrayal is a major theme of the story (as seems to be the case for all of the games that Avellone works on).

Since I'm getting it for the PC, I could download mods to complete some of the cut stuff, right? I did restore some content to KotOR, and I firmly disagree with the decision to cut most of the hidden content...
I believe some mods like this exist, however I'm holding out for Team Gizka's Restoration Project (google it if you don't know what it is).

Sorry for the wall of questions, but I'm just eager to play already... also, you can reveal minor stuff, but please no major spoilers until I get the game...
Then stop asking questions and start playing ;)

You certainly don't need our permission to enjoy it or hate it. :)

P.S. FWIW, I played KotOR a lot also. After playing TSL I found KotOR to be unplayable. Your tastes may differ.

No, I'm not talking nudity, but even showing a simple hug or a kiss would be something more than KotOR.

Team Gizka... I've read up a little on that before, but on there website there seems to be nothing happening in the last 6 months. Is this normal? Will it ever be complete? I also took a quick glance, and there appears to be a leak out somewhere. Is it still good?

What party members are the same as the first KotOR?

I will start playing... just as soon as it gets here!

No, I'm not talking nudity, but even showing a simple hug or a kiss would be something more than KotOR.
Prepare to be disappointed then. Avellone looks down his nose at this flavor of video game romance (see the Neverwinter Nights 2 expansion, Mask of the Betrayer for a perfect example of an Avellone love story).

Team Gizka... I've read up a little on that before, but on there website there seems to be nothing happening in the last 6 months. Is this normal? Will it ever be complete? I also took a quick glance, and there appears to be a leak out somewhere. Is it still good?
Again, matter of opinion. I think the game is mostly fine the way that it is. The story pretty much gives you the pieces and then leaves you to put them together for yourself. Some people think there should have been more pieces. Others don't.

If this form of storytelling doesn't appeal to you, then you're not going to like the game regardless of whether you think there were pieces missing or not.

What party members are the same as the first KotOR?
You asked that we not post spoilers.

You play the tutorial as one of them and meet another before you're finished. I recommend not prying deeper than that unless you really do want to ruin part of the fun.

I will start playing... just as soon as it gets here!
I hope you enjoy it.

I also took a quick glance, and there appears to be a leak out somewhere. Is it still good?

Mostly. The content it restores is a lot of fun to play through, though there's a few instances where it's less than professionally done (typos in dialogues, obviously fan-recorded VOs, etc). But it's still easily the best mod available for TSL.

I wouldn't recommend using it on your first playthrough, though, as you'll obviously have a harder time appreciating the new content. And despite the hype it's been given, the plot isn't any different and the ending is unchanged.

The best advice that I can give to you concerning this subject is to just forget about anything having to do with TSLRP, at least for the foreseeable future. The mods don't even like us mentioning it here, and I honestly can't blame them. ;)

Archived