Home

Top-selling LucasArts titles of 2008

Char Ell

The staff at game industry magazine Edge recently published what they determined to be the top 60 selling games of 2008. Acknowledging that accurate figures are hard to amass in the video game industry, Edge says the list is their best guess based on available information from retail sales in Europe and North America only and does not include numbers of games sold via digital distribution.

LucasArts released two games in 2008 that made the list. LEGO Indiana Jones placed 12th with an estimated 4 million units sold on all platforms the game released on.

Sales of the much anticipated Star Wars: The Force Unleashed totalled approximately 5 million copies on all platforms, making the number 9 spot on Edge's list.

Those who have read or end up actually reading the article may notice that the Edge staff erroneously credits LucasArts as the publisher of LEGO Batman, #17 on the list. The game was actually published by Warner Bros. I think this just goes to show that LucasArts has apparently become associated with all things LEGO in the video game business. :D

So what do you think people? IMHO LucasArts had a rather disappointing 2008. With sales like these, though who knows how accurate these figures really are, perhaps the year wasn't so bad after all.

From a business standpoint I am sure LA is happy, TFU despite being a disappointing game surely sold as well as they could have hoped. I have LEGO Indiana Jones that came with my Xbox 360 but I have not tried it yet, but if it's anything like LEGO SW it should be fun.

Not a whole lot to be excited about from LucasArts recently though, or in the future. Sure we're got TOR coming but aside from that, what? All things point to the next-gen Indiana Jones being canceled, leaving only the third-party developed versions for Wii, DS and PSP. I remember LucasArts saying they wanted to release 2 games every year, but they literally have nothing coming this year besides presumably Indy which hasn't even been announced, only that leaked trailer for the Wii version proves that something is coming.

From a business standpoint I am sure LA is happy, TFU despite being a disappointing game surely sold as well as they could have hoped. I have LEGO Indiana Jones that came with my Xbox 360 but I have not tried it yet, but if it's anything like LEGO SW it should be fun.
I don't know. LucasArts published TFU for six different gaming platforms. If Edge's figures are accurate then that averages to less than 1 million units sold per platform. Definitely not a flop from a sales perspective but I think LucasArts hoped for better sales than that.

lol, there weren't many LA titles in 2008 to begin with.
This is what I came up with:

LEGO Indiana Jones

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Fracture

Star Wars The Clone Wars: Jedi Alliance

Star Wars The Clone Wars: Lightsaber Duels

Did I miss any? Five titles in one year seems to be a decent number for a middle-of-the-pack publisher like LucasArts. And to have two of those titles place in the top 20 for sales seems pretty good to me.

Archived