Home

What are you watching/reading now?

Mav

I watched the Macross Frontier movie recently. It definitely wasn't as entertaining as the whole series but I guess that's what happens when you try to put an entire 26 episode series into a 2 hour movie. Hoping the next movie (which will actually be canon instead of a retelling) is much better.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Is claymore any good? I have a $15 off coupon and see the entire disc set. Tempting. Though I want it myself I was thinking of getting it for a fellow anime fan--a fellow swordsman as well. I also see a ~16 vol manga.

Please tell me it's worth the investment. And if not, is witchblade any good? I only saw the first episode and it seemed good IIRC but things are getting a bit hazy now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Seconding that, Summer Wars is made of pure awesome.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Summer-wars-13.jpg
A challenger appears!
Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
King_Kazma_Tribute_by_aun61.jpg

You can consider this me "thirding" watched the other night with Jeff, also watched The Girl Who Leapt Through Time tonight, was also very good though b/w the two I'd pick Summer Wars.

• 1 month later...

Now watching: Steins;Gate, because it is made of pure awesome.

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Also loosely interested in C, but I think it's soon going to devolve into a loosely-metaphorical-Yugioh-for-grown-ups.

Second anime I'm following is Tiger & Bunny, which has awesome animation and is surprisingly entertaining every second. It has a neat blend of Western, CGI and Japanese animation to it and good writing backing it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Finished Last Exile a while ago, and watched the first episode of Steins;Gate, but then I went on vacation and my wimpy little netbook doesn't like 720p .mkv's so Steins is on hold. I did manage to finish the 5th season of Dexter though. :carms:

Haven't watched much animu in a while, but I've been watching K-ON!! the past few days.

Also, I haven't started yet, but I bought the first volume of Akira. It's one of my favorite anime movies so I expect to like it.

Been following the new season now, hmm...

Usagi Drop - I like this one the best, though I procrastinate the most to see it, because it's slow and heartwarming. Sweet animation and Rin is really, really cute. It's a good series all-in-all, different from the rest, at least.

No. 6 - Utopian/dystopian to the max. The story (so far) really isn't anything new - naive kid who grew up in a seemingly-perfect utopia meets savage kid from outside world, learns that people live outside the utopia in misery and third-worldiness, yada yada. Surprisingly, the homosexual relationship hinted between the two main characters is the most interesting part of the anime, followed by the otherwise excellent animation (even though the outside world looks like it's Fallout: The Anime more often than not).

Mawaru Penguindrum - This is the season's WTF anime. The first episode was hilarious all through, but the other episodes not so much. It's absurdist comedy in the vein of Arakawa, but that's also the annoying part about it, because it can't seem to decide if it's wants to deal with something serious or something ridiculous. Terrific music though.

Kami-sama no Memo Chou - It looks like Gosick crossed with Durarara!! with a bit of Angel Beats! and has the strong points of neither. Very slick and well-researched, and will apparently be dealing with social problems in Japan, but it's hard to take the series seriously at times, with its misplaced fan service and steretypical characters. The hero is too cynical to care for, the heroine is too cold and distant, and the side-characters too plain boring. Could have potential later though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New season starts next month, so Ima so excited. :D Except not, because most of the anime coming out appear to be otaku trash with only 2-3 decent concepts (which is about as many as I can follow anyhow).

So right now I'm only following Usagi Drop (rather slowly) and Mawaru Penguindrum (not so slowly) as Steins;Gate and Tiger & Bunny have concluded.

My Top 5 for the year so far:

1. Steins;Gate

2. Mawaru Penguindrum

3. Tiger & Bunny

4. Usagi Drop

5. Gosick

Archived