Home

Open Source Jedi Outcast/Academy

JanDeis

Ok, so I have this idea to clone the features of Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy in C++. Built upon this, I plan on adding more features like added saber hilts (split double-edged, guard shotos, etc.), ships, different methods of map design, and more.

My idea is still in the, well, idea stages. I am wondering if there are any C++ coders out there who are wanting to work on an open source JK4 if you will.

Like I said, I am still brainstorming the idea at the moment. If you are interested, please give me a shout.

Also, to the mods, if this thread belongs someplace else I am sorry. I wasn't exactly sure where this might go so I picked editing...

So basically you're trying to make an opensource clone of Jedi Outcast/Academy?

I would advice against doing that (unless you get permission from LucasArts for this), cuz it wouldn't be the first time a clone/opensource replica have ended up with a Cease and Desist order being issued. And LucasArts seems to send out those C&D's quite easilly in cases like this (quick google showed enough on that subject).

Bottom line: I wouldn't do it if i were you.

I don't think a C&D would be too much of an issue. The New Era mod for Half Life 2 hasn't had any problems, and one of their mod members has even been to the LucasArts studio and told them about it and they said it was fine.

However this has been proposed a couple of times in the past, and they (the coders) agreed it would be too much work to rebuild the engine which we don't have.

In answer to the first reply, yes, this is completely set apart from JK2 and JA. You will not need either game to run this program. The source will be in C++, and maybe a small scripting language built-in to do simple commands after compilation.

In regards to the Cease and Desist stuff, Outcast and Academy were built on the Quake engine. At the heart of this, I am just making an open source shooter that happens to also have sword support. If they tell me I can't do it, then I'll just say that and make the base game default to a Star Wars "Mod".

In fact, that is one feature I want in this: mod friendly. Maps, animations, models, textures, scripts, etc. should ALL be editable AFTER compiling the game. The launcher will then ask the player what "Mod" they wish to play. They select Star Wars, or Lord of the Rings, or some other mod and then the game starts.

The thing about this being open source is I want any coder who plays the game to say "geez, it would be cool if you could do __________ (<-- insert uber-cool game feature here)". After that, they code it and release it to the community and we could then incorporate it into the source.

So anyways, about the copyright stuff, it shouldn't be a problem.

Well I'll start with the Star Wars "Mod", then maybe start work on something else after the first main release. But if somebody really wanted, I was saying, they could have the same engine with the option to play Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, or any other mod that somebody makes for this engine.

So, anyway, any takers? This is rather large to start on my own (even though I'm trying to anyway lol) so anybody wanting to get in on this?

I think after you get a solid base, more people will be willing to help out.

You might want to work from an already open-source engine.

I think engines like 'C4' engine and 'Source' engine would be very nice for a star wars game/mod.

That is, unless you want to create the engine from scratch. o_o

I don't think a C&D would be too much of an issue. The New Era mod for Half Life 2 hasn't had any problems, and one of their mod members has even been to the LucasArts studio and told them about it and they said it was fine.

There is a difference between a starwars themed mod and a replica of a commercial game. If you're just going to make a mod/game that looks a bit like jedi academy, then its all fine. If you're, however, going to replicate the game itself, as in, close to making a copy/clone, thats where copyright comes in.

At the heart of this, I am just making an open source shooter that happens to also have sword support.

If thats the case then it should all be just fine ^_^, good luck with it though o.o you're talkin about a rather big undertaking here.

Seriously people, I'm not 5. I know there are open source engines and I'm looking into them. I never said that I was creating it from scratch.

By the way, I looked at Source and it isn't a free license so I can't use that one. If anyone can point me in the direction of a FREE open source, C++ based, 3D, shooter, that would be great ;)

Seriously people, I'm not 5. I know there are open source engines and I'm looking into them. I never said that I was creating it from scratch.

By the way, I looked at Source and it isn't a free license so I can't use that one. If anyone can point me in the direction of a FREE open source, C++ based, 3D, shooter, that would be great ;)

Quake 3 is written in C and is now GPL-ed.

Yeah and you can also go with IOQuake3 (fix's alot of bugs in Q3 and has some new features iirc) which is free and open source.

And theres also XReal, which aims to improve on the graphics of Q3. It also has bug fix's from IOQ3 I think.

From the looks of it, Cube 2 (sauerbraten) seems like it will work very nicely. Looks from the video like it is the same generic 1st/3rd person shooter engine and it says it has an editor for maps I think. I'll have to try it out.

Actually, I was looking at id tech4 earlier today and it looked good, but they don't have the source yet so I may end up waiting for that if something else doesn't work before then.

Another option would be to look into Crystal Space / CEL (check out the demo release of Crytal Core, it doesn't look bad at all). A big pro is you can use blender to create assets for it.

But idtech 4 would certainly be the best choice, if you can wait.

Another option would be to look into Crystal Space / CEL (check out the demo release of Crytal Core, it doesn't look bad at all). A big pro is you can use blender to create assets for it.

But idtech 4 would certainly be the best choice, if you can wait.

I've also looked at CEL and Crystal Space. As of right now, they don't have an engine or any SDK so all it would give me is more code to play with. Although that thing about using blender did catch my eye.

Binary SDK packages are not yet prepared. Stay tuned. We will upload them here as soon as they are ready.

I'm sorry, I saw that the last time I checked Crystal Space. I guess this one does look usable. I've downloaded both Crystal Space and Cube 2 and I'm starting to compare the engines.

I'll let you guys know how it goes. Also, any other suggestions?

One could use functions from OGRE to do the rendering along side the engine, yes?

Also, what is Nebula Device?

Also(#2), I checked out Cube 2 and seems like a solid engine. During my play through of the packaged game, the only problems I had were the movement was too fast, the lack of visuals on what weapons I had, and the annoying tails of certain enemies sticking through walls :raise:

Nothing some code tweaks can't fix though. :thmbup1:

So now I do believe this project will soon turn into a Cube 2 engine rewrite or add on...

One could use functions from OGRE to do the rendering along side the engine, yes?

Also, what is Nebula Device?

Also(#2), I checked out Cube 2 and seems like a solid engine. During my play through of the packaged game, the only problems I had were the movement was too fast, the lack of visuals on what weapons I had, and the annoying tails of certain enemies sticking through walls :raise:

Nothing some code tweaks can't fix though. :thmbup1:

So now I do believe this project will soon turn into a Cube 2 engine rewrite or add on...

Of course, kinda what its designed for (you use it for rendering and add all the rest of the stuff).

Archived