Home

Costumed Heroes

Deathblade coughed up some blood by the time War-Bringer walked over to him.

"You know under this light you look really really scary with that gas mask."

And with that, Deathblade blacked out from the stomp. The last thing he felt were the cold shackles being attached to his wrists. With what felt like a few seconds, Deathblade woke up to gunfire. He looked around to see he was locked inside a poorly lit room.

I've seen these movies before, something tells me I'll meet the big man real soon.

He looked to see the shackles were gone, but so were his weapons. He placed his hands on the bars of the cell and looked out of them. He saw two figures move towards him. He looked to see they were dragging a woman in a costume. He stepped back and allowed the soldiers to do their job. He waited until the soldiers left before making a move. He placed two fingers on her neck to check the blood flow. He shook his head slightly and laughed. This War-Bringer was much tougher than he suspected, however he and another hero were now locked inside with him and 30 other men. There was no chance of escape for anyone. He looked back to the oustside of his cell and began yelling while he laughed.

"Hey War-Bringer, are we having our date or not. I've had dinner waiting on the table for 30 minutes now, the least you can do is show up and eat it!"

He was well aware that torture was probably waiting for him, and he couldn't wait for it.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe I've gotten myself into this mess. Next time...I won't be so trusting of him.

Flashback.

"Pilots....blow that jet out of the sky."

Shade sprang up and grabbed the grenades she had been holding onto and latched into War-Bringer's leg.

"If you destroy that jet...I will detonate the grenades and kill us both. Unlike you, I am willing to die to protect someone elses life."

Shade stared at War-Bringer as the tranquilizer began to take effect.

"Let that jet go...or it will be the last order you will ever give in this lifetime."

Shade began to pass out just as War-Bringer began to open his mouth.

End Flashback.

"Hey War-Bringer, are we having our date or not. I've had dinner waiting on the table for 30 minutes now, the least you can do is show up and eat it!"

Now...I'm in a cell with the comedian. This is wonderful. At least I still have my blades. I can kill myself if the comedian keeps cracking his horrible jokes.

10 minutes earlier...

"If you destroy that jet...I will detonate the grenades and kill us both. Unlike you, I am willing to die to protect someone elses life."

War-Bringer took a breath and looked down patiently at Shade.

She's wrong about that last part...He thought to himself.

"Let that jet go...or it will be the last order you will ever give in this lifetime."

Then she succumbed to the tranqs.

His comm chimed.

"Sir...this is BH-9a, the Private Jet has just flew into a major storm southeast from here. Are we to pursue?"

War-Bringer looked down to the unconcious form still clinging to his leg.

"No....we'll just have to get them another time...."

"Yessir."

Present

War-Bringer walked slowly back and forth outside of the prisoner's cell. There 6 other guards not to far away, armed and ready. The sub had submerged, and the area had been completely secured.

"You would be wise to remain quiet, DeathBlade."

He then opened the cell door, and he and another Black Hand soldier walked in with black suitcases, War-Bringer placing his on a nearby table.

He then took a seat across from DeathBlade and Shade.

"Now...then...explain yourselves...what exactly are you? How many? Where?"

"Now...then...explain yourselves...what exactly are you? How many? Where?"

"I am known as a hero. Someone who takes pleasure in helping others and performing acts for the greater good," Shade answered sarcasticly.

"As to how many of me there are....I think you only managed to capture me, and as far as I know, I'm the only one around here known as Shde, so It would be wise to assume that there's only one of me you fool."

"As to where I am...I'm sitting directly in front of you on a nuclear submarine in the middle of a lake. Or didn't you notice?"

Shade grinned under her mask.

This is going to be fun.

Kyoto, Japan.

"Sir!"

Zeron looked at the subordinate with a blank look on his face.

"Yes captain? What is your report?"

"I-It appears that we have lost one of our groups in Torento to the Black Hand terrorist group, the Black Hand were apparently setting up a bomb and they appear to have grabbed three of our men while they were taking hostages and executed them."

Zeron kept the blank look on his face as he turned toward the large viewscreen in the center of his command center.

"Why was I not informed of this sooner Captain?"

"W-We were attempting to find out why they had not kept in contact with us when we saw the leader of the Black Hand terrorist group appear on the televison. As soon as he was finished, we rushed to tell you."

"Very well captain. Prepare five squads of our finest men. We will not let this latest hostile act by the Black Hand go unpunished. Track them down and altert me the moment you have their location."

"Y-Yes sir!"

Zeron leaned back in his chair with a thoughtful look on his face.

Soon...We will finally be able to wipe out those annoying Black Hands...once and for all.

War-Bringer shook his head in response to Shade's rather sarcastic remarks.

"You are being smart. But not in mind, just mouth. Bad mistake."

He popped open his Black Briefcase, revealing several devices of torture, most of them basic, knives and pliers and such. But he knew how to use them to great psychological effect. He'd perfected over nearly a hundred victims. But he had something better planned.

He motioned for two burly soldiers who were standing right outside the cell door.

He stood, pulling his gloves on a little tighter, the 5 men outside focusing their aim.

War-Bringer motioned for the 2 burly soldiers again, and they moved and grabbed Shade by the arms, overpowering her rather quickly.

War-Bringer stepped outside the cell, and directed them to bring Shade over to a small pool of water. They then put a black bag over her face.

They forced Shade to her knees in front of the water.

War-Bringer closed the cell door, and directed some more gaurds to keep an eye on DeathBlade.

He then walked over to Shade and looked down, patting her on the back of the head.

"Now...will you answer my questions or not?"

"Now...will you answer my questions or not?"

"I'm thinking...yes."

Shade couldn't believe her luck. She could see from the reflection from the top of her collar was blinking...it was sending out an all purpose distress call to anyone within range.

Only have to wait a bit longer...

"By the way...that briefcase thing was a bad move. My goverment invented that trick. Now...as for your questions...I am a hero sent from the city of Kyoto to retrive two of your hostages who are citizens of kyoto, or so I was told. I was the only one who was sent. The goverment thought they would be able to negotiate."

Kyoto, Japan.

Zeron watched as his best men marched up the gangway of the troop transport and as three of his best pilots strapped themselves into their fighter jets.

Now...where is the captain?

As if he was reading his mind, the captain of his forces ran up him. "Sir! We have located a Nuclear Submarine out in the middle of a lake in the upper united states! It came under fire from a private jet earlier!"

Zeron's ears perked up at the word "Private Jet."

"Did the Jet have a Kyoto Registry?"

"Yes Sir! It belonged to...Shade."

"Then this will be twice the victory captain! We will erase the Black Hand from existance and finally get rid of Shade. Today is a glorious day!"

The captain nodded and walked back into the hideout. He was in command until Zeron got back.

Zeron slung his oversized rifle across his back and walked up the transport gangway and his eyes looked over each of his men. They were looking at him fearfully.

Zeron sighed.

"I keep telling you...you have no reason to fear men unless you try to steal from me or attempt to kill me. Have any of you done either?"

The men nodded, less fearfully this time.

"Excellent! We show no fear to our enemies! We show them who are the strongest! Who are the ones to be feared! We shall be triumphet!"

The men cheered and Zeron smiled beneath his mask.

Excellent...they're all ready for a fight.

"By the way...that briefcase thing was a bad move. My goverment invented that trick. Now...as for your questions...I am a hero sent from the city of Kyoto to retrive two of your hostages who are citizens of kyoto, or so I was told. I was the only one who was sent. The goverment thought they would be able to negotiate."

"Bad move...I did not see that."

He suddenly noticed something blinking under her the black bag.

His hand slid slowly down from the top of her head until it rested next to her neck.

War-Bringer grasped whatever it was, and with unusual strength, ripped it off, without problem.

It was a collar, blinking a red light.

A distress signal.

He sighed, sounding very tired and somewhat annoyed.

"We should have checked you more thoroughly."

War-Bringer snapped the collar in two, and it stopped blinking.

"The Japanese Government would do well, not to mess in my affairs."

Captain Krahl stepped into the room.

"Sir. We've picked up several aircraft inbound on our position. We are guessing they belong to a Japanese Triad Gang."

"It would Zeron. No one else dislikes me more."

The day wasn't going very well, War-Bringer was feeling that everything was collapsing far to easily. But he still could win.

He looked to Krahl.

"There is an American Air Force Base near here, correct?"

"Yessir."

"There is also a Canadian Air Base on the other side?"

"Yessir."

"Do we still have the satellite link?"

"Yessir."

"Contact the two bases, send a National Security Breach. Change our transponder to U.S.S Nautilus, that way the Amis and Canadians don't have trouble discerning these attackers."

Krahl saluted and walked off. The Americans would handle War-Bringer's problems. He loved hacking, especially when everything worked with him.

He looked down at Shade, and caressed the side of her face with the back of his hand.

"You'll pay for this, Shade....though your cooperation is appreciated."

He then nodded to the two men holding the Hero, and they began to dunk her head into the freezing water numerous times, giving her no chance to breathe. They continued for 2 minutes and then stopped.

((Sorry, got a bit carried away. We'll wait for someone else to post. ))

Shade fell back against the two men and gasped for breath.

"You will pay for that...I swear you will."

And then Shade passed out.

Above The Black Hand Submarine.

Zeron looked on in alarm as The Sub began to transmit a new ID and fighter planes began to close in.

Zeron grabbed a communications device from the side of the plane and spoke urgently into it.

"Attention American and Canadian Fighters moving in our position. That is not your sub. He is sending out a false ID signal. Please stay out of this, this is a private engagment between the War-Bringer and I."

Three planes broke off, presuembly to check this new information while the others kept on flying toward them."

"Zeron to fighter pilots: Engage the Fighter jets moving toward us. Terminate them."

Zeron looked toward his hacker and smiled at him.

"Are you in their computer yet?"

"Yes sir!"

"Excellent. Bring them to the surface and prepare all five squads. I will be leading the attack."

Zeron looked down and watched as the top of the sub broke the top of the water, shortly followed by the rest of it.

"Keep them above the water at all cos-"

"Sir! You ordered that you were to be informed the moment the tracker we placed on Shade went off line...before it went offline...it showed her vitals as...as very faint."

Zeron roared in anger and picked up the man with one hand."If anyone is going to kill that woman it's going to be me! She is a hero and she deserves the right to fight for her life! Men! There is a new objective! Capture Shade and bring her to me alive! She is a hero, she will have her injuries treated and once she is healed, she will fight me for her life!"

"Sir Yes Sir!"

Zeron strapped on his parachut and jumped out of the plane, followed by five squads of men.

"Death to the Black Hand!"

Dementix arrived in Toronto, The shimmer of his suit giving him away almost instantly. He stepped into the armory, were the bomb disposal team was finishing up. Dementix watched them leave, their suits making them look like a fat astronaut.

" Hey, Inspector, what happened?" Dementix asked the chief inspector of the case, a good friend, Nick Macy ( I'm fresh out of names).

" Well, it seems that a we have a new terrorist organization. It's called Black Hand, lead by a guy named... War-Bringer." Nick held up a photo taken from a security camera across the street. " Know the man?"

Dementix looked at the photo real hard. He looked familiar, like a Nazi he'd killed in a videogame, but his mask didn't ring a bell.

" Nope, but you got an idea were his heading is right?" Dementix inquired.

Nick responded " Last we saw of him, he's off the coast. Heading west-ward."

" Thanks, Nick, I owe you one!" Dementix hollered as he left.

" You mean five right?" Nick responded

Alrighty then, off the cost, I've got a jet-pilot that can get me there.

Fifteen minutes later...

Dementix saw several dozen planes flying, all of them shooting.

" Hey, Joe. Open the hatch, I can make it from here." Dementixsaid into the mic.

Joe gave him the thumbs up and opened the hatch, from which Dementix jumped, opening his glider and floating through the air towards the ship.

War-Bringer, Here I come.

Having failed to find the vigilante MidKnight, Blackhawk was forced to use other methods to track down War-Bringer. From spying on air traffic through YYZ, he had learned of a large unidentified aircraft touching down in Lake Ontario. Of course, he now needed a way to get there. He had discovered a jet with a flightpath going directly over Lake Ontario, and sneaked on board. Overhearing a man saying he could make it from there, he surmised that they were now over Lake Ontario, so he got out of his hiding spot, and followed the man out. He quickly put his cape in glider mode, and aimed for the ship. "It seems we're both after War-Bringer. Perhaps it would be mutually beneficial for us to work together." He called out the other Hero.

Zeron watched calmy as his jets blasted the opposing jets out of the sky with relative ease.

It's good that training program I set up for them paid off. They are far superior to regular air force pilots.

Zeron looked down at the rapidly approaching submarine and he smiled at his men from beneath his mask.

"Are the charges ready?"

"Yes Sir!"

"Excellent. But perhaps we will give War-Bringer a chance to beg for mercy..."

Zeron laughed at the dissapointed looks on the faces of his men.

"I Joke I Joke! Can't anyone in this attack force take a joke?"

No answer.

I do not care what they believe, that was funny.

Zeron motioned his explosives expert to plant the charges on the targeted area and watched as a small hole was blown in the side of the sub, barely above the water.

"Now...we fight!"

Zeron raised his rifle in triumph and ran through the hole, followed shortly by his men, the last of whom sealed the watertight door behind him.

"Squads one and three will stay behind to guard our escape route. Do not allow yourself to be captured. Squads two, four and five will assist me in capturing the control room. War-Bringer is most likely up there...and we have a few things to discuss...he and I."

Zeron's men chuckled. They knew what kind of "discussion" would be taking place.

War-Bringer kneeled next to the unconcious form of Shade, and used his glove hand to grab her by the back of the mask.

He shook it hard, no doubt waking her up out of her personal attempt to escape.

"No...you don't get away that easily...we have much worse planned for you...unless yo cooperate."

He thought for a moment.

"Which you have cooperated..."

He let go of her mask for a moment.

"But we're still not done."

He then began to untie the back of the mask, he would unveil her visage, and then they'd have her true idenity.

The mask was half undone when Krahl returned.

"Sir....our men are stuck in a stalemate with Zeron's forces...also, Zeron has not attacked. He seems to be holding his fire..."

"Pull the BH-9s out and call a cease-fire....I know Zeron...this is usually when he wants to hold a conversation."

He let go of Shade's mask and looked her in the eye. Strangely, he felt a pang of regret or shame, but he shook it off. Why should he feel like that? He left, without a word.

Shade woke up with a throbbing headache just as War-Bringer was leaving the room.

Why is he leaving? And more importantly, why is my mask nearly undone?...oh...I need to get out of here!

"Pilot...Pilot come in."

No answer.

They killed Atsuko! They must have shot her down after I blacked out! I will make them suffer for this! But not right now...right now I shall gather my strength and wait for the moment to strike...

Shade turned toward the other one they had captured, The Comedian.

"Are you well enough to move? I believe I may have a plan on how to get out of here...but I will need help."

Outside the Submarine Control Room.

Zeron looked on in satisfaction as his men finished wiping out War-Bringer's men in the control room, and then sealed the door behind them.

No one is getting in...War-Bringer will pay for his years of attacks on my organization.

"Sir! We have reports that War-Bringer and his men are on their way up to meet with you!"

"Excellent. Order one of the jets to break off it's attack and prepare to target the sub with one of those new Armor piercing explosives. Tell them to target below the waterline and wait for my command. If I know War-Bringer, he will be angry that we are in his territory."

The subordinate nodded and quickly ran off.

Zeron watched as a large shape appeared in the corridor in front of him, the figure was flanked by men armed with rifles.

"War-Bringer...how wonderful to see you again. I trust you are well?"

He'd been mistaken in thinking that Blackhawk would go to the CN tower. A simple murder wasn't as important as this War-Bringer, it seemed. He'd need to re-evaluate.

He returned to his car, and overheard some radio chatter - something about a Dementix. He'd heard the name before, but he couldn't place it. Apparently, whoever Dementix was, he was heading to the coast. He couldn't get there by car, however.

Opening the compartment on his car, he pulled out his jet-pack. It was still in the prototype stages, but now was as good a time as any to test it. He put it on, and rocketed upwards, and then in the direction he'd heard mentioned.

Shortly afterwards, a black sports car, not unlike the one MidKnight had been travelling in, exploded in the middle of a quiet Toronto street.

" Yeah, it probably is." Dementix called out to the Hero following him. How he got there he'll never know. Dementix slowed down and landed on the sub's side.

Alright, now to find the hatch.

He climbed up the side of the ship, finding the main port for entering.

Okay, here we enter the belly of the beast.

Deathblade was surprised at the way War-Bringer tortured this other hero. He was then confused as War-Bringer left to fight some dude named Zeron. He made his move and broke one of the soldier's necks and took the gun. He pointed it to another.

"My weapons, take me to them."

Deathblade followed the man into the storage area where sure enough his weapons were. He shot the soldier in both kneecaps and took his gun as well. He placed his swords back on his back and took a few grenades. He went back to the woman to make sure she was still there.

"Are you well enough to move? I believe I may have a plan on how to get out of here...but I will need help."

"I have a plan too, we all sit down for a tea party and forget this whole thing happened but something tells me it'll be hard for War-Bringer to sip tea through that mask so lets go with your plan. What can the Amazing Deathblade do for you?"

"I have a plan too, we all sit down for a tea party and forget this whole thing happened but something tells me it'll be hard for War-Bringer to sip tea through that mask so lets go with your plan. What can the Amazing Deathblade do for you?"

"Provide cover fire while we escape. My method of attack requres me to be up-close to my foe to strike."

Shade took a quick look around the sub.

"I suggest we leave as quickly as possible. Whatever is occuping War-Bringer's attention will not occupy him for long."

Dementix stepped into the ship, the noise of the power generator nearly deafening.

Dementix looked at the other hero.

" So, what's your name?" Dementix asked as he walked down the hall, listening for the slightest sound of an enemy.

War-Bringer motioned for his men to stay where they were.

He walked slowly forward, confident and obviously arrogant.

"Zeron. Long time no see....though it seems that has changed. Yes, it seems I'm doing well....not that you're presence has anything to do with it."

He and Zeron had conflicted with a large number of Kyoto's underworld many years earlier. They'd reached a stalemate, as neither of them could maintain complete control over the underworld without first destryoing it completely.

"What is it now? Got tired and wanted to visit an old friend? Because I certainly have done nothing to incur such a visit."

He stopped at the edge of the doorway, still casually holding his STG-44 to the side.

War-Bringer looked at one of the security camera feeds, right in time to see Shade and DeathBlade make their escape.

Everything happens at the most convenient of times.

He nodded to Zeron, "Our enemies surround us...perhaps we can negotiate a temporary truce?"

"What is it now? Got tired and wanted to visit an old friend? Because I certainly have done nothing to incur such a visit."

"Think again you fool. When you were taking hostages earlier, you grabbed three of my best men and executed them like dogs. I will not stand for this type of behavior any longer. Those men were on a recon mission that was of the utmost importance and you've set the operation back nearly a year now."

Zeron smiled and motioned toward his men.

"My men aren't happy about that, they were looking forward to that little operation weren't you boys?"

The men silently nodded and Zeron turned back toward War-Bringer.

"And then...then I heard you had captured one of my greatest enemies...the seemingly immortal Shade! And you thought you could keep such information from me!"

Zeron's voice went down to a deadly whisper.

"She is mine to kill. Do you understand me? She had interfered in too many of my operations...beaten too many of my men to let you kill her."

Zeron looked up at one of the camera feeds just in time to see Shade and another costumed hero make their escape.

"Our enemies surround us...perhaps we can negotiate a temporary truce?"

"Perhaps, Only If I get to go after Shade. As I said, she is mine to kill, not yours."

War-Bringer shook his head.

'So...3 of your men were stupid enough to get captured, and didn't do anything, not even tell my men who they were. They acted like dumb civilians. So much for the best."

He chuckled softy, it figures that everything clicks into place like this.

War-Bringer thought for a moment.

"Fine then, I won't kill Shade, not that that was my plan. Once my interrogators and I are done with her....she's yours. I'll even give her a weapon to spice up the deal for you. If I remember correctly on how you love to hunt, then that should be enough."

"BlackHawk. Don't let the name fool you, the Black Hand is as much my enemy as it is yours." BlackHawk explained. "And you are?" He then inquired. It was best to know who his colleagues were, especially when dealing with more than just common criminals.

'So...3 of your men were stupid enough to get captured, and didn't do anything, not even tell my men who they were. They acted like dumb civilians. So much for the best."

Zeron's eyes twitched under his helmet, the solders behind him shuffled around nervously.

"If you dishonor the memory of my solders again...I will kill you. Even if I have to go through every man on this submarine to do it. Do you understand me?"

"Fine then, I won't kill Shade, not that that was my plan. Once my interrogators and I are done with her....she's yours. I'll even give her a weapon to spice up the deal for you. If I remember correctly on how you love to hunt, then that should be enough."

"No. I get her directly after she and the other one are captured. I have waited years to kill her...I will not wait any longer. And you are correct, I do enjoy the hunt, perhaps after I am through with shade...I will hunt you."

Zeron turned to the men behind him.

"Solders! head back to the check point. Wait there until I return. I am going hunting."

The solders chuckled as Zeron turned and began to march down one of the corridors of the submarine.

"If you dishonor the memory of my solders again...I will kill you. Even if I have to go through every man on this submarine to do it. Do you understand me?"

War-Bringer smiled, "Oh..I'm sure you'll try..."

"No. I get her directly after she and the other one are captured. I have waited years to kill her...I will not wait any longer. And you are correct, I do enjoy the hunt, perhaps after I am through with shade...I will hunt you."

He chuckled, a characteristic not natural to War-Bringer.

"We'll see. And, Zeron, you've tried hunting me before. Don't try to embarass yourself, especially in front of your men."

He then turned on a heel and nodded to Krahl who was in one of the corridors with several other men.

"Get the ignition keys for the Nuclear Silos. Prepare the men for a covert evacuation. We can either destroy the sub, killing everyone and leaking nuclear waste into Lake Ontario. Or we can just leak everything out, and we'll still contaminate Lake Ontario...either way, we win."

Krahl nodded, "We'll move quickly...Zeron will prove useful right now...perhaps we shoudl agree to giving him Shade once we get her."

War-Bringer sighed, "Perhaps...perhaps not...time will tell."

With that, he began walking back down the corridors, towards the silos.

"Oh..I'm sure you'll try..."

Someday...that young upstart will get what is coming to him. I will make sure of it...but for now, the hunt begins.

Zeron stalked down the corrior and was two decks down when his communicator went off.

"Yes?"

"Sir, our men were forced to vacate the control room...but we did get a sizable amount of information on the War-Bringer and his operations from his computer before we were forced to leave."

"You have suprised me trooper, and that is a rare occurance ineed. What are the names of the men who were involved in the data retrieval?

"Gota hacked the computer sir, Terva managed to download all the data and I stood guard while they did it all sir."

"You have all impressed me, get back to the transport and make sure you keep that data safe at all costs. I'm going to have a word with all three of you when I get back."

"Yes sir!"

That is the difference between the War-Bringer and I, he treats his men as disposable, he doesn't nuture their unique talents, he doesn't bring their potental to it's maximum, and that is why we shall suceed in the end.

Zeron hefted his rifle and continued walking down the corridor.

Elsewhere in the sub.

Shade was just turning the corner when she saw a man with a uniform with his back to her.

That uniform! It can't be! Whats he doing here?!

Shade ducked back around the corner as the trooper started talking to another trooper out of her vision, and three more of his troopers walked past and climbed up the ladder that led to the top of the sub.

"Did you hear? Apparently Shade was taken captive by War-Bringer."

"No kidding? Is that why we're here? I thought we were here to get back at that Nazi for killing our men in Toranto."

"It's a bit of both, it started out that way...but when the boss found out Shade was being held captive, he got this weird look on his face."

"How can you tell? He never takes off his mask."

"Trust me, I can. If I didn't know better, I'd swear the boss had feeling for shade. He never kills her when he has the chance."

"Don't put that particular image in my head...I don't want to have nightmares again."

Disgusting...absolutley disgusting.

Shade turned to deathblade and motioned for him to be quiet.

"We need to speed up our escape, Zeron is here."

Archived