Home

Activion can die in a fire

From the article

Publisher Activision has filed suit against Brütal Legend developer Double Fine Productions to prevent the release of the heavy metal game starring Jack Black, putting the title's Rocktober release in jeopardy.

According to a report from the Associated Press, Activision claims that Double Fine failed to deliver Brütal Legend on time and mostly on its dime. The suit contends that the Brütal Legend dev was paid $15 million to finish the game, but missed a key deadline, with Double Fine asking for another $7 million in development monies and a nine month extension.

When Vivendi and Activision merged last year, Brütal Legend was missing from the list of titles that Activision would inherit and publish. But Activision claims it still retains its rights to the open world action adventure and that the mega-publisher has suffered "irreparable harm" in losing the game.

The lawsuit is unlikely a surprise for EA and Double Fine, as Activision expressed its unhappiness with the game being handed over to its biggest competitor earlier this year. EA's response to Activision's legal threats called them as ridiculous as "a husband abandoning his family and then suing after his wife meets a better looking guy."

Brütal Legend's presence at E3 2009 is big. New publisher Electronic Arts is banking heavily on the game, but if Activision is successful in its latest round of litigation, it's possible that we might have to start looking forward to a Rockvember or Rockcember release.

Please don't delay this game ;;

Full Article: http://kotaku.com/5279036/activision-sues-brutal-legend-devs-to-halt-release#viewcomments

D=

Unless Activision can back up their claims, then it's no good. They dropped the game, what rights should they still have? They're just trying to get money out of a promising game. A divorced husband can't sue his ex-wife for dating a better looking man, so I think a lot of what Activision is saying is crap to stall the release.

I find it interesting how Activision and EA have changed places. Activision is now the company whoring out there franchises every year (i.e. Call of Duty, Guitar Hero, and Tony Hawk) while EA has published a ton of new ips (i.e. Mirror's Edge, Deadspace, Brutal Legend).

I find it interesting how Activision and EA have changed places. Activision is now the company whoring out there franchises every year (i.e. Call of Duty, Guitar Hero, and Tony Hawk) while EA has published a ton of new ips (i.e. Mirror's Edge, Deadspace, Brutal Legend).
Yep, that's what I've been saying for a while now. Activision is the new EA. I mean come on, 7 Guitar Hero games released in one year!?

I think I would break down in tears if this game got delayed. Or worse, delayed indefinitely.

I mean come on, 7 Guitar Hero games released in one year!?

Yeah that's a little excessive.

Rock Band is way better anyway!

Activison = Betrayers and corrupt bastards.

First they give up, leaving Tim and the project, now, they see some money coming and they want the game back.

I'm sure EA will deal with this problem, it's a powerful company on the video-game industry, i also hope the EA and Double Fine start thinking about a PC version, when the game was in activision's hands i had no hope for a PC port, but mostly of EA (and all Tim Schaffer's) titles were released for windows. L

• 3 weeks later...

Archived