Home

2d or 3d?

gos

2d or 3d?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. 2d or 3d?

• I prefer the 2d adventure games
    • I prefer the 3d adventure games

Well, some time ago (more specifically, at the time EMI was released) I would have answered 2D straight away; but I think 3D nowadays has improved a lot, and it's just a matter of time we see an adventure that makes its use worthwhile (like, for example, Fahrenheit or the soon-to-be-released Heavy Rain).

Anyway, I'd like seeing Lucasarts making a mix between 2D and 3D (that is, 2D backgrounds and 3D characters), so that they could save money and still give the game that classic feeling we all love. It worked really well on Runaway 1 & 2 (which I recommend to all of you if you didn't know about them).

An example:

runaway2.jpg

Erm, a bit of an ambiguous question really. I mean, would pre-rendered 3D art like in Grim Fandango count as 3D to you, or only real-time stuff? And what about really primative 2D like Maniac Mansion in comparison to, say, Curse of Monkey Island? And on that note, what about 3D like in Tales of Monkey Island compared to, say, something from CryEngine?

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

I find it mildly silly to try and label all 2D games as superior to all 3D games, or vice versa. It clearly depends on the art style of any given game, how well it's executed, and the fidelity of the engine (in the future it'll be more like what you see in cinema).

I voted for 3D though because the most beautiful adventure game I've ever played — Grim Fandango — is what I'd consider a 3D approach. :)

grim fandango isn't full 3d...it is an amazing game but i really was wishing to play grim fandango in cartoon 2d style i mean i would prefer if it was in 2d.. like in CMI. manny as the quite patron, he looked really fantastic.

and to make this clear: The 2d here means: the game that contain 2d characters. (like in CMI,dott...etc)

the 3d that contain 3d characters. (like grim fandango,and escape from monkey island)

i am not talking about the pre-rendered BG's

of course, when tim schafer was asked why the adventure games are dead, he answered with: the 3d graphics killed the adventure games. and i think tim schafer prefer the 2d for grim fandango.

they made it 3d cus it was the 1st 3d game so they had to give it a try.

and also bill tiller, he is obsessed with CMI, he is making good work at autumn moon entertainment but as you can see his games contains 3d characters because it is easier to make and costs less money. both of tim schafer and bill tiller prefer the 2d with no doubt.

I think it would be interesting to use 3D backgrounds with 2D characters. After all, it worked for the Paper Mario series!

The Last Express works like that -- they videoed real actors, then turned them into 2D cartoons, and put them in the 3D pre-rendered game in a variety of angles:

lounge-2tri.jpg

Archived