Home

Spiderman.....the musical

Totenkopf

:raise: Never cared for musicals and doubt this will change anything.

Spiderman the musical sounds ghastly. However, do not judge all musicals as such. I was dragged kicking and screaming to “The Phantom of the Opera” when I was in New York, not the greatest, but I was entertained. I liked it enough to go see “Annie Get Your Gun” the next night. I can stand cheesy acting and singing way more when it is on the stage rather than the screen. However, the one musical I absolutely love on film is “Paint Your Wagon.” Not only is it my favorite musical of all-time, but it is one of my favorite movies.

Spiderman the musical sounds ghastly. However, do not judge all musicals as such. I was dragged kicking and screaming to “The Phantom of the Opera” when I was in New York, not the greatest, but I was entertained. I liked it enough to go see “Annie Get Your Gun” the next night. I can stand cheesy acting and singing way more when it is on the stage rather than the screen. However, the one musical I absolutely love on film is “Paint Your Wagon.” Not only is it my favorite musical of all-time, but it is one of my favorite movies.

I think it's primarily the format that turns me off in general. I'm sure there are numerous examples of "good" musicals, just that you won't find me in the audience. Something about unnaturally breaking out in song and dance that doesn't work for me. As for Paint Your Wagon.....I've seen some of it and I like Eastwood and Marvin, so maybe one day I'll force myself to sit through it. ;)

Something about unnaturally breaking out in song and dance that doesn't work for me. [/Quote]Same thing with me, but I can forgive that format when it is live. People on a stage bursting out in song does not seem as anymore farfetched then someone acting on a stage with hand painted skyline.

As for Paint Your Wagon.....I've seen some of it and I like Eastwood and Marvin, so maybe one day I'll force myself to sit through it. ;)
Do, because it does not follow the usual musical format. There is singing and dancing, but it isn’t contrived as normal musicals. Other than Clint Eastwood singing one love song, the music seems to be well placed and as natural as a musical can be. I’d also say it is a comedy first and a musical second.

Archived