Home

[TSL]Making stuff glow

Dark_Ansem

Well... To get a new envmap, you would have to make a new tga.

For example: you could open up 'cm_bright.tga' and make it a new color (It's originally a very light blue). Then save the new---I wanna say 'texture'---with a new name. For example, you could save it as, say, 'cm_yellow.tga'. Stick that in your override, then open/create the txi file for the texture you're trying to add a glow to, and type in:

envmaptexture cm_yellow

Or whatever it was you named it. Save the txi appropriately, then stuff it into your override along with the aforementioned texture.

Now go test it out in-game and tell me if it worked.

Oh, and I require a contract for my services.

So sign here, here, here, and here. :sign2:

Well... To get a new envmap, you would have to make a new tga.

For example: you could open up 'cm_bright.tga' and make it a new color (It's originally a very light blue). Then save the new---I wanna say 'texture'---with a new name. For example, you could save it as, say, 'cm_yellow.tga'. Stick that in your override, then open/create the txi file for the texture you're trying to add a glow to, and type in:

envmaptexture cm_yellow

Or whatever it was you named it. Save the txi appropriately, then stuff it into your override along with the aforementioned texture.

Now go test it out in-game and tell me if it worked.

Oh, and I require a contract for my services.

So sign here, here, here, and here. :sign2:

shall I sign with my blood?

that thread is VERY useful! it also shows us how to add a Normal Map (bump map) to everything! and since I know how to make them from a diffuse texture... they're the blueish ones, right? too bad there can be no Specular / Diffuse Map. something like this but in TGA (sorry for the off-topic :'( )

perdr04spec.jpg

perdr04norm.jpg

This intrigues me. Would that actually show up in the game?

In the original TSL appearance.2da file, the mandalorians did not have an entry for "envmaptexture". This means that anything transparent would just be see-through in-game. By putting "CM_Baremetal" in that "envmaptexture" column, the transparent stuff would then show up as shiny in-game.

Now that's just if I remember correctly; I could be wrong of course :p

You'd also have to add alpha channels to the Mandalorians' textures. Darth_Shan (from kotorfiles. the Darth_Shan here is a different person, I think) just took the original KotOR's mando textures and put them into TSL. But if he/she did happen to add the alpha channels him/herself, then he/she was IMPOSSIBLY accurate. If you put the KotOR tga's next to his/her tga's, then you see that they are EXACTLY the same. And I'm getting off topic... BACK TO IT!!!!

bump/help: for those who like GIMP and know how to use it, I figured how to add an alpha channel to the whole image and change the treshold (in fact, much simpler than I expected, just click to add alpha channel without selecting anything, right?).

I'm having difficulties with the bump map function: is it possible to use, for the bump map, an actual bump map (the blueish ones not supported in-game) in order to improve the texture?

Highly unlikely. I doubt you could even do it in Photoshop - at least not in the exact manner you seem to be after. You can fake depth and height with certain techniques and PS filters certainly, but that only works with static images with a fixed light source. It isn't going to hold up to scrutiny when applied to a 3D object moving about in 3D space.

Bigger is usually better in the case of textures, yes. Body textures and the like should be 1024x1024. You can get away with 512x512 textures for smaller models like weapons. The vanilla textures are usually pretty bad though, so you'll have your work cut out in a lot of cases if you want to use them as a basis.

Archived