Home

[TSL]Making stuff glow

Dark_Ansem

erase texture?

Yes, open up your .tga and literally erase the part that you want to glow. The higher the opacity, the brighter it will glow. Look at the screens here. The two glowy swords are all 100% transparent (in the glowy areas, obviously).

is it possible to change the color of the glow?

Yes and no. You can change the color by making your own .txi but I've never tried. So if you don't do that you're stuck with the blue glow.

Yes, open up your .tga and literally erase the part that you want to glow. The higher the opacity, the brighter it will glow. Look at the screens here. The two glowy swords are all 100% transparent (in the glowy areas, obviously).

Yes and no. You can change the color by making your own .txi but I've never tried. So if you don't do that you're stuck with the blue glow.

that is the sword mod I meant, you got it :p thanks!

in making our own .txi how limited are we? I mean in the choice of colours/defining brightness etc.

that is the sword mod I meant, you got it :p thanks!

in making our own .txi how limited are we? I mean in the choice of colours/defining brightness etc.

I just finished that mod, glad you like it :)

I have NO idea about new .txi's, but I wish I did. I have those same questions so if anyone knows it'd be appreciated.

Refer to this for some info on valid TXI arguments: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=175937

By the way, you don't want to "erase" areas you want to glow (or be otherwise affected by environment maps), you need to set up an alpha channel that dictates transparency in the appropriate areas. You'll need to experiment to find the most appropriate level of transparency for the particular effect you are trying to achieve.

Refer to this for some info on valid TXI arguments: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=175937

By the way, you don't want to "erase" areas you want to glow (or be otherwise affected by environment maps), you need to set up an alpha channel that dictates transparency in the appropriate areas. You'll need to experiment to find the most appropriate level of transparency for the particular effect you are trying to achieve.

that thread is VERY useful! it also shows us how to add a Normal Map (bump map) to everything! and since I know how to make them from a diffuse texture... they're the blueish ones, right? too bad there can be no Specular / Diffuse Map. something like this but in TGA (sorry for the off-topic :'( )

perdr04spec.jpg

perdr04norm.jpg

Meh, I just erase it. Works fine for me.

any insight then on how to change the color of the glow?

EDIT: if adding an alpha channel means seeing the texture vanish under a multitude of grey squares I did it.

Depends on exactly what your going for. If it is eyes, you could isolate that part of the texture on a separate layer, color it as you want, and try the "Color to Alpha" tool(in Gimp), which will make the eyes transparent, but keeping some of the color you want them to be

for example, going for sith eyes such as those of the "Dark Harbringer"/"Wound in the force" mod

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
92991_3.jpg

Show spoiler
89578_5.jpg

Show spoiler
85693_7.jpg

You don't determine colour via the TXI. The envmap just adds a glow to the areas of your texture with transparency. You don't make those areas completely transparent - you just add a tiny little bit of transparency via the alpha channel. Thus the texture itself dictates the colour. If you make the transparency value too high, you'll bleed too much of the envmap through and end up with white. I'd probably start with an RGB value of around 200,200,200 and experiment. You probably need to oversaturate the colour of the affected areas of the texture as well to compensate for the washout effect of the envmap blending.

Archived