Home

G4 first impressions and gameplay preview

ChAiNz.2da

Interesting "first impressions" read over at G4. Seems like while it is an MMO.. there are quite a few (if not entirely) single player oriented scenarios dotted with "Social Hubs". Nothing new, but it's sounding as if it's a large single player campaign that has the MMO "option" more than anything. Interesting.

Class based exploration.. and story, story, story though has me all smiles. ;)

Probably not enough to change the minds of the naysayers.. but worth a read that isn't entirely up the arse of the game developer. I'm stoked about the game.

The E3 gameplay demo (about 5min) is worth a watch as well if you haven't already seen it.

http://www.g4tv.com/games/pc/61502/star-wars-the-old-republic/articles/74697/star-wars-the-old-republic-hands-on-e3-2011-preview-assassinating-across-tatooine/

This game hasn't always been good at showing how good it can look during E3. Perhaps using Tatooine as the main focus during E3 wasn't that smart considering that. It's great stuff for the fans, but it's not exactly the most inspiring of locations. Maybe that's the reason for the recent critique on graphics. I'm not worried, though, videos like this one on Alderaan show how good it can look.

Most of the time, I'm pretty careful to be excited by a game before it's released. But this is Star Wars and the Old Republic, I really want to like this game. So while the negativity surrounding the game does worry me, I won't let it influence my decision to play this game. It is, after all, very difficult to draw conclusions from a small section of gameplay from an MMO.

I love how Adam and Candace tried (even if it was in fun) to try and get a release date out of him, but a firm 2011 is nice to hear. I wonder if it will stay that way.

I liked what I saw personally, and I'm pretty excited for this one, and I trust Bioware to do this right.

This game needs to be installed with a shortcut on my Desktop already :/
You could fake a TOR icon. But you'd know it'd be a lie. And the thing would be staring at you every day, making you lose your mind.

Or you could be lucky enough to get into the next batch of beta testers. :)

Another preview that's very positive from GamesRadar. I think GR is right in saying that this is not going to be a genre-changing MMO that many may have hoped for but I also think they're right in saying that's not a bad thing. I was never interested in playing World of Warcraft, but it certainly got the gameplay mechanics right and the fact those basic elements can be found back in SWTOR shouldn't be a bad thing. I'm not going to play this game for its revolutionary take on MMO's, but for its story and the fact its Star Wars, of course.

They did have a point... I mean while there are many elements that might feel similar to WoW, the same could be said of Doom and Call of Duty. But there can be big changes while still allowing a similar feel to the combat controls. Though I think they could have just gone with the Mass Effect style controls. With the "pause" menu just bringing up the options without the pause. Those seemed to work quite well for me. With me hardly using the actual pause in ME 1

One thing I'm thinking is that if they did chose to go for something a little different, then the buzz might even have been bigger. A franchise like Star Wars does get a bit more freedom to try something different. But I'm good with it either way. Guild Wars 2 will change up things enough for me, I'm hoping. :)

Archived