Home

Max Payne 3

DarthParametric

Saw it yesterday evening and I'm not sure what to think. I definitely don't dig Max's new bald and bearded look as it doesn't have a single recognizable element, like the leather jacket or the Hawaiian shirt, that says "this is Max Payne". The guy in the trailer reminds me more of Sam Fisher's Double Agent look with a bit of Lincoln Burrows from Prison Break. I do like that the voice actor is back at least and that the music theme's still there, but it seems the storytelling won't be done via panels as it was in the previous games, but rather via motion captured cutscenes.

• 2 months later...

New video:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-design-max-payne-3/723954

I have to say after seeing this, I'm a lot more optimistic about the game. Looks like the classic bullet-time action is still there and shooting isn't restricted to finding cover and taking pot-shots at the enemy, like in so many "modern" shooters. Even the current HUD looks similar to the one used in May Payne 1 & 2.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New trailer:

[youtube=hd]JTPRPr15sW0

Also, maybe I'm just imagining things, but did they just give away the (inevitable) big plot twist at the end there?

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
The framing is cropped (presumably deliberately) so you can't see the face, but the voiceover for the line "I told you this city was dangerous" sounds like Max's friend Raul Passos. It seems like the classic movie/game twist where the real big bad behind the central plot turns out to be the protagonist's best friend/trusted acquaintance. The guy in the shot raising the gun looks to be wearing some sort of body armour or other combat vest, which is different to how we have seen Raul depicted in other full body shots of him, so maybe it is someone else.

This looks nothing like the real São Paulo. It does looks remarkably like Rio, though. Not sure what they were aiming at.

I like where this is going, by the way. Bullet time seems so efficient it almost feels like cheating. But the controls, while apparently improved, still seem far from perfect, as running around until your targeting reticle is on the enemy is used in detriment of just pointing your gun at your him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Heh, got this game today. :)

So far its a pretty good game, the new bullet time is very nice (its pretty cool when you can follow the bullet in slow motion to its target).

Find myself stuck on the first real boss though, as i can't seem to figure out how to kill the SOB... :(

Archived