Home

Triumvirate Lords Of The Third Dimension

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hes 'retired' from modding before, at least once since I've signed up (and we both signed up around the same time, so...), and hes returned to his modding not too long after (technically, he dropped his URM a couple times, but picked it back up)

If SS can send me his source files, I can set up his URM, including my Desert Eagle (once I get it to export correctly. AND if I can get 3ds to work without re-installing it again. Long story short, my xp partition bit the dust, and that is what 3ds would work on.) and upload to KFiles.

But for now, his mods will remain In Progress ad infinitum, or at least until he can fix his RL issues.

EDIT: on a slightly more upbeat note, I've decided that I wanted to help Canderis in a Courscant mod. I decided to start on the Senate Rotunda. It'll be a GIANT area. (I'll be making it proportionately correct. At least 100 meters tall) Is it possible to create multiple walkmeshes and 'merge' them into the main walkmesh?

You mean weld walkmeshes?

Or chopping it up like they do in the games: I've done the "chopping" in my Aqualaris modules. It can be really bothersome to get the edge "jumping" to work.

So far I had to delete my walls of the walkmesh, make extra edges where the "jump" takes place... etc. A lot of extra and often frustrating work. Though I think the game likes it more, plus shader effects and emitters seems to work as they should.

I had some doubtfull and weird things happening when I just used one big walkmesh.

Urgh, I really need to update my tutorials on the whole how to build a level for Kotor.

Unfortunately, I wish time would go just a bit faster during school. >.>

Well, as Quanon saw in my B-Day thread in Ahto, I got a cool pen pad. I hope to use that in any re-texturing (I found tutorials online) of any heads I might or might not do. ;)

although if I do, I'd have to re-map the heads.

Oh, and since I never got an answer, I figure I might as well ask again. :p

I asked if it was possible to give different model parts a new texture, as long as it had the same name length as the original texture. I could probably successfully re-do those eye textures, and give it a proper look (using SpecMap) without disrupting the textures of the original (Some have alpha channels for transparency)

Oh and Q, I remember a while back, you posted some glowy pics of your underwater module, and you said it looked like that after you reinstalled. I know what you mean, I was playing MovieBattles the other day after reinstalling JKA, and its quite shiny-glowy. ;o

Yeah, thanks to my 3D card drivers, I didn't have any "good" effects in the Kotor games. Shine and glow where a bit f**ked up.

I did an update and had to do a re install, IIRC and all of a sudden its glowing madness :lol:

On to your question: Yeah it should be possible to replace texture on the eyes, teeth, tongue and arms. They are all loose 3D objects contained in the SKIN; but they all share the same UVW map layout.

Anyway via Hex editing you should be able to pull it off. That palette will come in handy :)

Well, as I said earlier, I was working on the Senate Rotunda. After many hours of working (and I mean man-hours, the kind that equals about 4 days for each hour :p), I've finally managed to finish it. I don't have any textures done for it, for right now its just materials.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
iamthesenate.jpg

Its quite poly heavy, at 200k+ polys (but thats the final estimate...)

o_O

Holy SHIAAAAAAAAAAAT, TG!

How many times did you copy those silly floating seats/ boats?

You know there was this kind of death match map made for Jedi Academy.

To reduce the polies, they made the upper, unreachable rounds things, less poly heavy.

Less smooth and stuff.

Or is this just a fun at the side project :p

I'm still alive. Maybe not working too much on Kaurora, due to AoC and CO (bad MagnusLL, no cookie! slap! :p), but still alive....

On a semi-related note... is anyone going to try the Kotor MMO? It's tempting, being developed by Bioware, but EA is the one pulling the strings now and well...

I will most likely try the free period, but I doubt I would pay a monthly fee for it unless it is something exceptional.

The more I read about it the more it is described as a multiplayer kotor that you can play alone rather than an MMO. Which is good for me since I hate MMOS

Get us some lightmaps ;)

If there is a monthly fee, I, like dis here, will only try the free period, if I like what I see in the post-release screenies. I personally don't like the art style they have, and it looks like they're sticking to it. It looks... cartoony. In fact, and I can't believe I'm actually saying this, I think that the models in the original KOTOR and TSL are more realistic than... that.

Well, the past few days, I've been thinking about TFU and Crysis. There is no doubt that Crysis's models are high poly, but I recently came across a bit of info that made me rethink the idea that TFU had high poly models. While surfing through crysis's textures, I found several normal maps, mainly for weapons, and I noticed the extraordinary amount of detail they added. Then, while browsing Filefront's JKA Forums, I found that people think that TFU's models aren't exactly hi-res, but its really normal maps that add detail.

So, I got to thinking, and its never good when I do that. :lol:

Anyways, after looking through the web, I found some tutorials involving normal maps, and I found out that 3ds Max can make a normal map using the handy-dandy Render to Texture feature that Quanon pointed out to me in my WIP thread back when I first got 3ds. Using a normal map, and the render to texture feature, I can hopefully add unparalleled detail to heads, creatures, everything.

I'll be trying to accomplish at least one on the weekend, and show some results.

Hmm, any idea how you'll make K1 or TSL use those Normalmaps.

If you're looking to create some real nice Normalmaps, you might look into Z-Brush.

Its a tool designed to do insane high detail models: its really good for organic lookings stuff. Skin, folds in cloth etc...

I got a version, but boy! Cant' work with it, its bit of a weird program :p

Hey, Magnuss! You're still around ^_^

Oh, I'm not sure what to think of Biowares Kotor MMO. Not a fan of MMO's, they lack story most of the times, though I do enjoy exploring. But we'll see when it gets released :)

Hmm, any idea how you'll make K1 or TSL use those Normalmaps.

I won't be doing any fancy model or hex editing, I'm just going to be using the Render to Texture feature. Which, if I use while I have the standard texture and normal map applied, will combine the two into a singular texture, where there will be detail without the use of the normal map ingame.

If you're looking to create some real nice Normalmaps, you might look into Z-Brush.

I too, have my own copy, but its only trial and I can't figure it out :p

I did see someone on the JKA forums make a nice looking revan model (Hi-Poly zbrush version and a low-poly ingame version. Not released yet, unfortunately... I think he's working on getting the entire model weighted.) using zbrush, so I know what to expect from that program.

But my research shows that unless I do a lot of configuring 3ds, I won't be able to use normal maps using the nvidia normal map generator thats included with the dds importer for photoshop, or zbrush. I'll only be using the normal maps made by 3ds.

Well thats one way of doing it :p

Though, certain textures in the kotor games do have a normal map.

I think it must be done through a TXI file. No idea what could be in the TXI, but for the TARGAs to be used as lightmaps => That gets done aswell in a TXI file.

Strange stuff...

Archived