Home

Triumvirate Lords Of The Third Dimension

Hey Quanon, I'm trying to transfer all of my modding materials to my laptop, which is of course Vista 64bit, as that is what they are making them all these days. I have gotten everything up and running successfully, except for KAurora, which crashes every time i attempt to run it. Now I have all of the requirements, the new .Net Framework, and the DirectX SDK Update Feb 2005, yet its still doing this. Do we know if magnus, by some miracle made a 64 bit version of KAurora? or one that is vista compatible?

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Doc: Haven't heard of Magnus in a very very very long while.

I dont' think he did any work for 64bit stuff... Isn't there a sort of euh, crap can't think of the word, you know to fake 32 bit... compatibetytyryrr things stuf ack o_Q

You need to invite my wife, kids and I to come check out belgium :) We can crash at your place, and you can show us around. I will wear am american flag t-shirt and talk with a fake redneck accent to impress your friends :)

But seriously the trip... ;P

Hey SS, how goes Shely? =)

:lol: Not sure if I could host such a crowd, its rather a modest small house where I live.

And there's not that much to show in Belgium that hasn't been done bette elsewere :p

Well there's Bruge ofcourse, stupid Atonium in brussels...

Though on the 3D news, I got some great news. I was able to put a first test run in the game of one of my areas of zé secret project :)

Most pleased with these first few results, but an image says more then words ever can !

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
AquaTest03.jpg

Show spoiler
AquaTest02.jpg

Show spoiler
AquaTest01.jpg

Show spoiler
AquaTest04.jpg

Show spoiler
AquaTest05.jpg

Show spoiler
AquaTest06.jpg

Its a freaking big hall ^_^

Though the hawk model got messed up; will have to redo that bit and add the other last bits of this area aswell.

30.180 polys in the Max scene, going to the Kotor game, its about +- 60.360

polys.

Ofcourse I cut it up into about 7 "rooms".

Looks awesome man!

I just posted updated screens in my WIP thread, check em out and give input. (I stole your design for supports :))

What exactly is this secret project for? k1?2? Is it an entirely new area like the middle city will be or a mini game?

My family can use sleeping bags ;)

Ah, seen you're update in your WIP thread.

Looking nice ;)

I think you got a nice collection of buildings, try the copy/ paste trick to speed

it up fill in space fast.

Don't forget to put in some taller buildings aswell, you're in the middel, so certain buildings go further up to the highest peaks :)

Oh, my project is for TSL (K2). Its going to be a sort of mini-planet.

Consisting of about 6 to 7 areas. Sounds a lot but each area is smaller then what

Bioware made.

Very stream lined and its all focused on a bigger quest.

No silly little side quests, thats all for bigger teams.

Most of what you would see of those bigger building would be one side/ facade .

I wouldn't give these to much details, let the front row of the buildings have those.

Don't forget to clean up your meshes to :)

Thought thats more at the end of the ride, its good to get rid of backsides, since the player will never see them.

Mostly topsides can go aswell. Its good to stop and think what you want the player to see, you can force a bit to :p

You can't rush art :p

I liked your deom SS, if the rest of the street modules look like that, its going to be great when it gets filled with life and random wandering NPCs.

Was replaying some TSL last night, did Onderon, man, those city areas are ugly.

I don't find it looks good enough.

OK, i posted updated pics just now. I think i am done with the modeling for now, and will begin texturizing. I read you recommend converting from poly to mesh before applying textures? Is that true? If so, why? :)

So you are limited to the 24-26 or so slots in the materials pallet correct? So I have to use just that number on the whole city?

You need to go to Mesh, because the game doesn't handle polys ok.

Its better to first convert to Mesh, before texturing anything. Again thats to avoid annoying issues with textures getting mangled and stretched.

Yes, so far you can only have one Texture per slot. There is a Multimaterial thing, but that doesn't work for the game... exporting doesn't work either.

Though remember you'll need to devide your area in to a set of parts.

Since yours looks quite big I'dd say would go for about 5 to 6 parts.

How you tackle that is your choice,an example:

First part, a random name : 400DTA_01a ( DisbelieverTaris ;) )

This part could include, lets say the left row of buildings.

Second part: 400DTA_01b

The right row of buildings of your street.

400DTA_01c the skyramp above you, 400DTA_01d could be the skybox and some other left over bits.

Remember that the 400DTA_01a is the name for an AuroraBase.

Anyway running ahead of you a bit.

Its handier to first fully texture your model and then think of handy of splitting it up in parts. If something goes wrong in the game, its easier to figure out which part is bugged or needs fixen. Without to go into your full model again.

Héh rambling on here :lol:

lol, don't worry. Its not that difficult. You seem to have handled the modelling bit fairly well.

So this should go OK.

I'll see to make you a sort of quick tips file. Ofcourse you can look at my tutorial thingy, but we're always learning and I might have changed my thoughts on how to do things already again :)

A quick tips file would be great :)

So you like the modeling so far Ive done?

On a side note, do either of you know of anyone business or otherwise that would need web development work? Due to the legal issues I mentioned before, I need to save for a downpayment ofr a new home and get the family out. My personal site is http://www.nicholaspaul.net if you do know anyone.

thanks guys

Archived