Home

Thinkers Guild of Alderaan

Theoretically, the sun will never go supernova or disappear, but instead become a white dwarf after an incredibly long period of time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun

I consider geothermal energy the best way for us to go to get energy, for the time being. Perhaps if we tap that supervolcano in Yellowstone National Park, We'll get a lot of energy, and it could, hopefully, lessen the chance of it erupting once some of the pressure is taken away.

Edit: Although, there are some disadvantages. Maybe solar power is the best way to go for now, I don't honestly know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothermal_power

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What happens if the we (the United States) mess up, then? What if we accidentally set off the Volcano under Yellowstone? Not to sound pessimistic, but I'd rather stick with reliable resources than risk millions of lives unnecessarily.

Of course, an alternate course of action would be to evacuate the West Coast, test Yellowstone, and work from there. Just make sure to get the millions of people living of there out. Imagine the political self-immolation that would entail if something went wrong with that.

Anyways, for now, I suggest sticking with (other forms of) geothermal energy, solar energy, and hydroelectric. Coal and oil won't last forever, and the World needs to be prepared for the time when we will have to survive without it.

I think that we should really start using alternative energy sources. I don't think that you can ever start too early.

Things are really starting to get expensive. I think that they will just continue to go up. However, I think that something should be done. Hopefully that is something that our next president will focus on. We can only hope though...

Me too... :D Now all we need is a stormtrooper in that position for another picture.

But, as I do enjoy humor, this group is actually meant for serious discussion, as far as I can tell.

Eh, maybe i'm just being to serious. Who am I to ruin a bit of fun? :xp:

Yourself, obviously. :p

Anyways, for a serious topic, how is this: What do you think that the future will hod for the United States? Are our days as a World Power numbered, or will be continue to be the 'Superpower' of the World for many years to come?

Personally, if we take no action, I think that our World Power days are numbered. We've a number of problems at home, and we're still trying to fix the world (not that we shouldn't, but our leaders are ignoring many domestic problems).

Thoughts?

I honestly think we should make sure we're entirely self dependent and stable (IE, all in-country problems and disputes resolved and buiness and all else stablized) before we ever try to help any other countries again.

Good change of topic. I like to ask people, "Are you brainwashed?" and find out their response. (Almost) every time, I've received a 'No!" Of course, the definition of 'Brainwashing' is contested, but mine would be "Distorting one's thoughts through either direct or indirect means."

A question: "Are you Brainwashed?"

No... As far as I can tell, I am not... If I am, I am so glad that I am brainwashed to have a mind like this. :xp:

It might be fun prank some people, asking if they've been brainwashed, and then getting people to say that they saw them brainwashed into doing something crazy and embarrassing... :D

Um, on a side note... Obama beat Clinton! :)

Litofsky; "Are you Brainwashed?"

Well, it is disputed as to if brainwashing is possible, however personally I think most people are brainwashed, ever considered how illogical most people are? Mentioned quite a few times in KC is enculturation, so for example, in the UK, most young people go out and get smashed at the weekend - can they tell you why? Not really they think its fun... Most people are brainwashed by their culture.

Am I brainwashed? To a large degree no, though enculturation is insidious, and something unavoidable, so undoubtedly it has had an impact on me. However members of the intelligentsia are far less susceptible to such phenomenon; and being a non-conformist also helps, as all my opinions tend to be formed independently of anyone else.

My 2 cents on that :)

EW; No worries its what TGoA is for, and I thought you all may well enjoy it :)

Yeah, that's kind of a point I was going to make, but you were able to explain it better than I can. I'm not all that great with words. If someone were trying to brainwash me, I bet I could resist far more easily than most, as you also probably could. I can very easily say that most religious people I meet are brainwashed, but religious people on this forum seem to be much more intelligent and free-willed than people in my life. You can also 'brainwash' a person with science. Either way, no matter what you teach a child, their mind is like a blank slate at first, and you can make them beleive anything at that point. However, we humans have a great sense of curiousity and free will, making us able to eventually, if enough knowledge is obtained, give up any and all things taught to us that were either false or highly unlikely, be it science or a religion.

As many of you can remember, I was a genuine brainwashed person about a year and a half or so ago on this forum... Yet, thanks to all these debates, I've changed my beleifs. IMO, agnosticism is the principal key to avoid being brainwashed by anything, which you can probably understand, if you really think about it... But that's heading into a debate for another time, so I'll stop at that.

Who is to say that you still aren't? If we define 'Brainwashing' as exercising near total control over someone else's mind, then I would be able to say, with great confidence, that a good portion of the world, regardless of religion, race, and other factors, are brainwashed.

Yeas, it's interesting to debate... I'm afraid that it only brings fear and doubt among us though, to suggest that it's possible that we are brainwashed. Technically, if any of us hold strognly to any beleif, we are brainwashed, but that isn't neccessarily always a bad thing. Brainwashing is a broad term though. Here's some good reads:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainwashing

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&defl=en&q=define:Brainwashing&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

I can tell very easily that my parents are brainwashed, especially when they talk about politics. They think that 'Obama might be the Antichrist...'

Seriously... It's sad to see. And I have to put up with them unintentionally offending me with such mindless statements... Eh, I better stop before I go into a rant...

Archived