Home

folding@teamLFN

ChAiNz.2da

Just keep an eye out for MSI to release their 'lightning' version of the 285. IIRC, they only have the 260/275 atm. They have the SS Capacitors ;)

Also Char, looks like you're going to be sending the Cudettes downunder. My 295 has finally caught up - a bit later than originally planned thanks to Mass Effect. With FIFA 10 and the Oz summer not too far away - you may indeed be able to get the Cudettes back with some uberfolding ;) Ive actually taken the drive tray out of my shuttle. Both HDDs are in a caddy and a plug in a external drive as I need it. Its lowered folding temps 5C. Im thinking of wiring up a 120mm fan to help out a bit more... we've got a hot summer coming up. All in all Im quite impressed with the 295 - its keeping the same temps as the 8800GTS and that only had one GPU to contend with

mtfbwya

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on taking over the top folder spot on our team. Keep those dual GPU's cranking out the WU's. ;)

That's good to info to know about the MSI Lightning cards. I have an MSI card right now and haven't been overly impressed, especially when I ran that NVIDIA graphics card memory tester a while back and got errors. But I'll keep them in mind, especially if they're the only company known to produce GT200 cards with solid-state capacitors.

A hearty welcome to Muklin and his Tri-SLI GTX 280's. Wow. That is some serious graphics horsepower. :thumbsup:

Also, I've noticed today there was some sort of points correction that occurred on Sept. 15 on kakaostats. Not sure what that was all about but it looks like most of the active folders on our team were impacted. It was just weird because I had never seen any negative numbers in my weekly stats before. Probably had some error with stats updates or something that they had to go back and fix.

A SUPER CONGRATS TO ALL teamLFN MEMBERS:

We've finally reached the 10,000 WU MILESTONE!! :thmbup1:

Thanks to everyone who has contributed thus far, and to those continuing to chip in to this special project.

*In other miletone news, Muklin has earnt his folders badge, a team of Level 60 Stealth Wizards are carrying it from its secret mountain forge - it should reach you soon..

Now, onward to 20,000 WUs :)

mtfbwya

Nice work everyone. 10,000 WU's is great stuff. And a hearty congratulations to Muklin on earning his folding badge. :thumbsup:

So per Astro's request I've invited members of the LucasArts forums to join our folding team. I'll monitor the folding thread over there to see what kind of interest Folding@home garners and answer any questions.

I finally broke down and purchased a PS3 this past weekend. I had been thinking about it ever since the PS3 Slim and the price drop to USD$300. It took me a bit to figure out how the Folding@home client worked but after some web searching I got it working. I will say it puts out a fair amount of heat when it's cranking on WU's.

Jaybroni from the LucasArts forums has joined our team with his PS3. I think with ChAiNz's PS3 faithfully chugging along that brings us to a total of three PS3's on the team now. Someone chime in if I got that wrong. :)

Also, in case anybody missed it, Professor Pande posted on the folding blog a while back that new GPU and SMP (heads up tk :D) clients are in the works. If all goes well it's possible they'll go into production before the end of the year.

Kudos on helping to establish the link with Lucasarts forums Char. We're happy to accomodate LA members in any way.

Does chainz have a PS3 too? Cool :) The Awesome Lexxy is our other PS3 folder. I can imagine the ps3 slim being warm, folder or not - such is the bane of compact kit! I do know at least a couple of folks who have put laptop cooling pads under their ps3 slim :)

In addition to Prof Pande's news about the updated clients is the announcement of nvidias next gen CUDA hardware..... codenamed FERMI atm. Im not sure how it will affect those of us with GPUs with a gaming focus, but it definitely looks to be a powerhouse of a platform - >> more info from the green horse's mouth :D

mtfbwya

• 5 weeks later...

A SMP-TACULAR congrats to tk, who has broken 700WU. Amazing stuff.

Although things are a little quiet here its good to see everyone is still foldin on.

Temps are starting to warm up here in Oz, so Im doing a bit less, but there were a couple of days in late Oct that the rig folded for almost full days ;) (and lived to tell the tale).

If course, nvidia issued new drivers and cuda got bumped up another version number too. 191.07 is available from nvida.com/guru3d etc ;) If you have a multi GPU rig, make sure you get the SLI Update patch from nvidia - particularly if you have the games it targets.

Also, it was interesting to note EVGA released the 275 CO-op edition - with a GTX275 +250 for physX. Would definitelty be a lower cost high PPD folder, compared to a 295 ;)

With the 5970 out n about - the GPU geek world turns to team green for their answer. Will they even deliver the GT300 this year as originally planned - continuing crap silicon yields might mean no....

Time will tell

Keep up the great work EVERYONE ;) \o/

mtfbwya

• 1 month later...

Whilst things have been a little quite in the miniforum, hopefully some littel updates will not go unnoticed ;) It is heartening to see some consistent folding churning away in the background. I was pleasantly suprised to see my WU nudge over 3000WUs and out team's position has remained relatively stable in 660-680 range ;)

Hotter temps and some fiddling on Devil May Cry4 has seen my GTX295 occupied but I do let 1GPU plug away a few hours a night at least.

195.62 WHQL are available at various places including G3D of course.

Interesting to note that recently nvidia have put out a GTX 240, a decent little performer and a decent price.

January will see the Fermi cards released and it will be interesting to see what numbers they can clock - people are nudging 20k PPD with a 295 (Ive gotten 17K+ on factory clocks) - I wonder if the GF380 will blow that out of the water, and by how much ??

It will also be great to see Stanford push out their new client(s), which will apparently support a hassle free multi GPU setup :) It was such an ordeal to set it up the first time - those custom shortcuts are a PITA to get right

In any event - keep up the great work TEAMLFN, including our special Lucasarts guest ;)

ANY contribution is a vital contribution !

mtfbwya

• 2 weeks later...

sup folders! :D

Been out of commish (again) due to some (more) surgeries, but I've been having my PS3 doing some chugging.. hehehe. Not much, but it's pretty much a guaranteed 1,000ppd. Besides, I like my Xbox better :xp:

Pretty much been prescribed downtime, so my computer time is limited to whatever the meds can block. Will try to get a gpu client up and running soon since my computer isn't going to get to be used very much with my gimp arse laying around ;)

I've got a long weekend coming up, so I'll pop a few pills and see if I can get this puppy churning again. :D In the meantime, I'll be around, but scarcely so. My dumb arse being on the computer so much after my first rehab didn't do me any favors, so I pretty much got read the riot act this go around... not going to make that mistake again :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

hey chainz, good to see you man :) Hope you are recovering well.

Despite having a rig that could manage 17000 PPD - my folding is being tempered by mother nature... many days in the 30Cs... we have 41C coming up tomorrow. Hence, I just sneak on a few hours at night.

*waves fist at Sol*

I do game a tiny bit (Devil May Cry 4) but otherwise my shuttle wallet killer/1600p monitor is currently getting used for something a netbook could handle (surfing, blogging) I'm still waiting for the Mass Effect and Assassins Creed Sequels to hit the PC..of course

mtfbwya

• 3 weeks later...

been keeping up some nocturnal folding. Death Metal fans amoung us will rejoice at our perpetual hovering around position 666. \m/

Something even more amusing, I received my collectors edition Mass Effect 2 today. Unfortunately my beloved 30" monitor is off being repaired and I'm stuck with a 15" that runs 1024x768 for a couple of weeks :violin:

to all those still letting their rigs churn away, keep up the great work !!

mtfbwya

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Apologies for my folding tardiness too... 2 games which Ive been waiting to platy for almost 2 years cam eout within a month of each other, so my pc is a bit distracted with ME2/AC2.

Interesting to know that neither ME2 or AC2, running at 2500x1600p at maxxed settings(yes I got my monitor back!) cant make neither or my two GPUs as hot as the folding client does...

I'll start getting back on in snippets tmrw - I promise!

mtfbwya

Just joined, and started folding. I started about a minute ago and am 3% through my first WU. I might be able to get it even faster in a few days if I can get both of my 260gtx GPUS to work on it. Also, how do you get one of those snazzy signatures?

Edit: Never mind about the sig, I figured that out. As for using both GPUs, the site seems to be saying that I'd need to disable SLI (easy, I could probably even automate it so that it will re-enable once f@h is closed), but also plug the second card into another monitor (tougher, since I don't have an extra monitor). Is this true, or did I just misunderstand the site. Because if it's at all possible to use both GPUs without buying another monitor, I'd definitely want to.

Some advice to people using, or thinking about using the GPU client w/ an NVIDIA card, but who are worried about heat. If you download the nvidia performance tools from their website, you can create a fan profile to crank up the power on your GPU fans whenever the f@h .exe starts, and change it back to normal automatically after it is exited. This has let me keep the gtx 260 I'm using right now nice and frosty, despite being under full load, and has saved time that would otherwise be taken up changing the fan manually every time.

Archived