Home

folding@teamLFN

ChAiNz.2da

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the way Canderis ;) Which client are you using ?

As for me and my whacky 295.... I decided to try multi gpu another go... I dont think Ive done anything different.... but it seems to be working now

*waves fists at infernal contraption*

ppd.png

Anyway, Im going to be watching this closely from a temps perspective and folding in short bursts to start off with to see how the card/small case manages. So dont expect our score to jump by 15,000 PPD just yet ;) Once I figure out the right balance for system stability and longevity, then I can get stuck into multi gpu folding aproper.

Of course knowing my luck, after I finish 1 WU, the second GPU will enter another week long EUE holiday :p

mtfbwya

@Canderis - I guess you are referring to the standard client(that uses your CPU). Remember, you can use your graphics card to do folding instead/as well - this applies if you have a newer model GPU.

But which client you use is up to you of course :) Let us know if you have any further questions.

As for my setup again...... :p;) Funnily enough - not even 10 mins after I had posted re- my multi GPU triumph, I was fiddling with memory clocks, and got one of those display driver related crashes/restarts(which I havent seen since the very early days of vista) Since then, multi GPU has refused to restart. Im pretty sure this has something to do with the dual display requirments for multi gpu folding...

Anyway, I tried it in Win 7 RTM (x86) and it seemed to work again... but as I dont use W7 as my mainstay yet, I'll need to muse on what to do next. In the interim, Im black plugging along on the single GPU setup.

I think a few driver and core revisions further could sort all this grief, not to mention be better for regulation temps and juice used by the GPU client.

Time will tell ;)

mtfbwya

The PS3 and GPU clients are separate.

HERE is Stanfords FAQ for the PS3 client, and a guide video from gamedaily >>

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

As for the GPU client >> it is windows based only and depends on what hardware you have : which card do you have ?? See HERE for more info, as well as our own guide in the tech forum >>post 15 is the one where I describe the GPU client

Good luck!!

mtfbwya

No probs. Just fold with whichever client suits you :)

Good luck getting the PS3 client working, it also has a pretty snazzy viewer

Back on my getup.... since the folders and shortcuts in W7 were working so nice, I decided to make shortcuts of them directy when in Vista - F@H doesnt need the registry so can pretty much run anywhere as long as the folders and shortcuts are setup correctly....

result: BOTH cores working within vista... I even have SLI switched on. Im keeping stock clocks on(or close to) as fiddling with it has proved problematic(which is also widely reported by other multi gpu FAH users)

Im currently clocking 12000 PPD and will leave it going for a little while and see how it pans out. If I can get it all happy, stable and coolish then Id be glad for it to stay running at 10,000 PPD+ :)

mtfbwya

Indeed. I wish I had a PS3 too. But not having a TV that can do 1080p, I never got around to it. My pc monitor can handle 1080p but doesnt have HDCP :( Besides, the image quality on a 1600p monitor looks less crisp when set at 1080p(a non native rez). And they seem to eventually release all the games I wanted on pc now(mass effect, assasisns creed, force unleashed...)

OT:

Looks like the multi GPU folder is reasonably stable atm. Temps were OK, though I have been leaving the window slightly open in the study which helped with ventilation

I left it pretty much all of yesterday which should be reflected in our PPD. Its staying off whilst Im out at work but will crank up when I get back ;) Looks like the 295 is shaping up OK to be a decent contributor to teamLFN ;) Will I get the no.1 spot back, like way back in 2008.............???

mtfbwya

Multi GPU setup nice and stable now. I have confirmed that having two displays on is essential to start both clients folding, but the second display can be switched off in display properties or the nv CPonce youve started. SLI can stay on throughout.

ANyway, I think that's enough about me and my 295 for now! I just want to get stuck into some WUs before the hot Oz summer gets here....

go TeamLFN ;) \o/ Kudos to all team members - keep up the great work for this great cause :)

mtfbwya

Congrats on getting both GPU's on your GTX 295 working, Astro. You should be taking over the #1 spot before too long. ;)

Just got back from my summer vacation so I'll be starting up night time folding again, so long as the high temps here stay under 110F/43C.

I'm about to build a new (old) PC with some leftovers, which means taking out a few hard drives out of my main PC (I don't use them anyway, which makes me wonder why I left them in there in the first place). It should reduce the temp inside the PC a bit. I'm also looking for a few ways to cool down the PC even more, with cooling equipment for my hard drives and fans for the case. It's necessary, 'cause the PC is basically a stove in the summer right now.

Hopefully, when all that has been done, I can get back into folding. Won't be for another few weeks, though.

Congrats to those who continued folding. ;)

@Miltiades >> Nice to see you back in these parts :) if you have more room for fans definitely pop one in :)

My case has a few e-sata ports at the back, which allow the pc to use external drives as the system drive. In summer, I think im gutting the inside, taking out dvd/and the 2 HDDs and using an external double dock and external dvdr I have (as reqd). That will leave a quite large gap for better ventilation of my breadbox.

Astro

There's definitely room (it's one of those big Zalman cases). Only problem is noise, it's making quite a bit already.

I've been thinking about using external HDD's as well, but there are already so much cables running through my room, I hardly want more of those. Taking out those 2 HDD's should at least make a small difference.

As our stats can demonstrate, my 295 has started to get into the swing of things when folding. Basically, it stays on all night on weekdays and non stop on wedensdays and weekends - with periodic bereaks for gaming of course.

Assassins Creed 2 is out in November(IIRC), so might get a dip then :p I think I'll be picking up the dual HDD external dock later this week and seeing what that does to temps, out of curiousity... :D I'll be testing KOTOR 1/2 on Win7RTM soon too, so that will cause a little downtime too.

Congrats to Char for breaking the 2000 WU barrier. I dont think it will be too long until my overpriced monstrosity catches you, but it was fitting you got there first to reflect your great contribution thus far ;)

Indeed, congrats to ALL teamLFN members for their continued efforts. If we keep going at our present rate, we will finally break into the top 700 in no time at all ...as well as crack the 10,000 WU mark, which is something im looking forward to in particular :) Points are arbitrary and are more for us to gauge how much we have done, but the WUs themselves are the stuff that matters as far as the reserach goes.

Keep it up teamLFN !

mtfbwya

Thanks Astro. It's great to have your GTX 295 on the team. At this rate you will pass me in no time time at all. I keep having this dream where I'm standing on a set of train tracks, seeing a rapidly approaching light in the distance, sounds of a steam whistle, and a repeating chant of "the GTX 295 cometh," in stereo no less. :D

lolz, if I still had the 285, that whistle would have been louder and more annoying :D I think I'll catch up to you a bit quicker as far as WUs are concerned, but chainz still has a bit of a headstart... added to this - having completed ACreed, Ive decided to finish off Mass Effect...(Im about 9 hours in) I cant believe how awesome ME looks with *everything* maxxed at 1600p phaw!! Film grain is off >> looks better without it, all nice n shiny.

FYI to all: 190.62 has recently gone WHQL. CUDA version 2.3. Available from nvidia.com or Guru3D

mtfbwya

• 2 weeks later...

Ive noticed we've just sneaked into the top 700 :) Good stuff. My 295 has been doing alot of gaming recently(thats what I got it for after all!) but I do my best to squeeze in a few hours folding each day when Im catching Zzzz's ;) Whats funny is that I get alot fo queries from shuttle fans asking me how the 295 is faring in the case. One guy said "it must surely be an unnatural combination?" :p

Im running 190.62 - which Im happy to report hasnt broken any games or affected my folding setup. As per previous drivers, I no longer need to switch SLI off to fold \o/

Onward to that 10,000 WU milestone !! :)

mtfbwya

Holy Smokes Foldman! Astro has also surpassed the 2,000 WU milestone. I must have blinked or something. ;) Congratulations on this fine achievement Astro Bey. (was that correct usage of the Turkish honorific?)

So I'm not planning on running SLI but I am hoping that I'll be able to run two folding clients on two graphics cards with different shader counts using 190+ drivers. From what I've seen on the folding forums it sounds like this might be doable now with the 190 drivers. I'm just waiting for the GTX 285's to drop to USD$200 or less and then I'll see if I can get one of those to work with my 9800GTX+.

Bey is indeed the corract usage. You can equally use it in parts of the middle east and north africa. We have a Turkish specific Efendi but its not as special as being a bey! >>Im wondering if you got that from The Listener, or something else ?? :)

Once the "Geforce 300" comes out early next year(?) these should start to trickle down. Im actually selling my 285 right now for about 385 US, but if youve read these last few pages... you dont want it if youre a folder ;)

Looks like Ive just leapfrogged chainz.. I'd say teh no1 spot isnt too far away, but right now, my 295 and I would very much like ALL of us to get to that 10,000 WU milestone rather than focus too much on who is winning among us. With the amount of $$$ I put into my rig... Id expect nothing less than the 15k I can clock atm. But the games are more fun...

Folding will cease in a little while(for the next few hours) Back to being Commander Isabel Shepard :p (I always play female characters in RPG. They look cooler in those skintight outfits/armour) Ive also got Burn Down the Sky and Pinnacle Station all loaded up when I finish the standard campaign - that should take me through to November when AC2 is out \o/

mtfbwya

Ah yes. The coil capacitors. Well... Hmmm... Maybe I'll get lucky and find a model that has solid-state capacitors. Or maybe the whine won't be that bad. At least I've got some time to think about it anyway but I fully anticipate the GeForce 300's will be priced higher than I'm willing to pay when they launch.

Archived