Home

I saw the JK2 demo at Quakecon!

Genetic Misfire

I have never had such a hard on to buy a game before in my life! I mean it, there were two presentations today (thursday) and I sat through them both! This game is simply UNREAL (no pun intended). I can't believe that what we saw was only roughly six months development.

Anyway, I'm sure you want to know what we saw. It was basically the E3 demo with a few additions. A demo level that looked to be some form of Imperial installation on an ice planet (not sure if it was supposed to be Hoth but I kinda doubt it). As far as weapons are concerned, they only showed the Bryar pistol, the Stormtrooper rifle, the Wookiee bowcaster, and Lightsaber. The Lightsaber is just amazing. Everytime that sucker was ignited, my jaw dropped and everyone viewing the presentation cheered. The way Kyle would swing it and hack of Stormtrooper arms was too cool. Also, the Stormtroopers would run and find a better firing position if they saw you pull it out. If you only had a gun, they would stand and fight. At the end of the demo level there is a big hangar where a duel would take place with some unnamed dark jedi. This, also, was stunning. It literally looked like the duel from the end of Episode 1.

They also showcased some of the force powers. We were able to see Kyle use force jump, force lightning, force grab, force push, Saber throw, and the infamous jedi mind trick. Force jump seems to be about the same as the original game except that there is a cool new flip animation thrown in for that added *cool* effect. Force lightning looks sooooo much better than it did in JK and MotS, it looks like it did when the Emperor was frying Luke in Jedi. Force grab could be used to pull weapons to you as well as enemies. Seriously cool when a Stormtrooper in a pesky position was jerked out of it and brought into saber striking distance. Force push is basically what it appears to be (works on droids too). The Jedi mind trick was the ****! If it was cast on a stormtrooper, you would see stars blinking around his head and you were basically invisible to him. Also, you could cast the mind trick next to the Stormtrooper and it would distract him causing him to investigate (ala Obi Wan in ANH). During the Lightsaber duel at the end of the level, the dark jedi being fought used force choke on Kyle and hit him with lightning while choking.

They also dropped in some NPC jedi into the duel and at one point had three independant duels going on. Each of the NPC's seemed very intelligent as they all used the force powers, the all blocked attacks, and took advantages of openings in their opponent. Also shown to use was part of a new level that had never been seen before. It was the Hangar on Yavin 4 complete with war room This is what the new screenshot is from.

I had also recently read that there will be no bot support with JK2 (I don't remember where I read this) but they clarified that it WILL have full bot support. No word yet on whether or not there will be any dual ended Light sabers (ala Darth Maul) or not, and they are not sure if there will be a Linux port just yet. The projected release date is Spring 2002.

I don't think I've left anything out but if I remember something later, I'll let you know. There will not be anymore presentations until Saturday at 3:00pm and if you can, BE THERE. I plan on going back to watch it again. I soooooooooo can't wait for this game.

James

I know what you mean, but it is a game...and while playing games, we want some kind of feedback as to...did it even work? how long is it going to last? etc.

So, if nothing else, there has to be some kind of visual representation of what's going on. Maybe stars are a dumb idea, but then again, I haven't seen a screenshot or seen it in action to know if it's cool or not. Also, as with other things, we've seen things like the saber blur change. It could easily be a temporary thing like the hud.

I'm not too worried about it yet.

They weren't literally *stars*, just a visual indication that you were using that particular force power. You know how in JK, when you would use the FP that would make you invisible, and yo would see the lights blinking where you once were (crummy analogy, I know). It's like that, only around the victims head. No Looney Tunes here.

The light saber duel was the ****. There were times when Graham (the gentleman running the demonstration) would attack the dark jedi with a flurry of blows and they would all be blocked. Even times when his strikes were jumped over, ducked under, and run from. It was cool because the enemy jedi even at one point force jumped to a higher level when cornered and really went on the offensive when Kyle had lost his light saber (it was force thrown and the dark jedi smacked it out of the air with his saber).

The game appears to run at a slower pace than JK but still fast enough for "twitch" gaming.

James

Thanks for the info James, it sounds great

Did you notice how force push was implemented? It required a targeting reticle like in MotS or was it an expanding wave as in TPM

Heeelll yeeeeeaahhh, the game sounds ****in awesome (sorry sys ops.. but hey im excited..) i am definitly savin up for a g-force 3.. with unreal 2 jk2, sof2, new duke, wolf 2 and allied assult, i think its gonna be damm well worth it, think im gonna have to get a bigger screen too, and save up some holidays from my part time job, so i can just sit on my ass and play when this baby hits my hands..damm maybe even a new car so i can get home quicker to play this when its instore..(ok maybe not, but you guys get the picture..) i cant believe ya can duck and jump in saber fights.. the only thing that could sound better would be virtual reality.. oh well maybe in 10 yrs.. :cool:

Originally posted by James:

<STRONG>It was cool because the enemy jedi even at one point force jumped to a higher level when cornered and really went on the offensive when Kyle had lost his light saber (it was force thrown and the dark jedi smacked it out of the air with his saber).</STRONG>

That sounds awesome. :)

I have to admit i'm the kind of guy who only starts to get worked up over a game when the release date is near.

however as more and more info is coming out and i see the pictures, i hear the stories....well...i'm about to blow... :eek:

I mean Christ this gaming is gonna suck... :D ....just kiddin'....

But man ó man i can't wait already i'm starting to think like.....*only so many months till christmas and then so many more months till spring*....and meanwhile i'm franticly searching for distractions.

And i have a few ofcourse like...oh say...work- :p -and some upcomming games like AVP2 and Neverwinter Nights...but still....bring it on!!! :)

I gotta give you credit james, you made it through the whole demo without resorting to violence and running past the guards, knocking over the guy playing the demo and trying to play jk2 yourself! :D:D Hehehe im sure that description wasnt too far from your actual thoughts. ;)

Archived