Home

Zone?

Jedi85

This topic has been brought up quite a bit already. If you'll browse through the past pages, you will get more insight.

I think that the Zone will support JKO, although you won't find many serious gamers playing it there. The Zone software is quite limited and you have very little freedom. I suspect that the game will have an in-game browser and that most people will be using it and/or Gamespy and chatting on mIRC(exactly what we see with the hardcore community amongst any modern game).

If LEC is smart, they will allow Raven to make the game Server based (they said it wasn't decided yet) and they will make Linux dedicated servers (hopefully also a full version of the game for Linux).

The zone (microsoft) works on windows. As gaming server, windows is too unstable. Linux is the better choice if you are looking for a good server to play on. So I doubt there will be a lot of people playing JK2 on the zone (if they will even support it).

Guest Kurgan

Yeah, and speaking of in-game browsers, hopefully they'll use UT's as a guide (rather than Q3's), which IMHO was the best in-game one I've seen.

The easier it is to use, and customizable, and the more options we have overall (with free gaming services and setting up our own servers) the more fun it will be and the larger the community can potentially be.

Kurgan

although the actual game was buggy, i loved the tribes 2 internal community functions.

in game email, news, chat rooms, main server controlled clan tags, and a server selection similar to UT but i found it slightly more user friendly. the forums was a bit extreme though i think.

but i'd love something like that....

Guest Krayt Tion

Gamespy it will be for me regardless. I have yet to see an in-game browser for any game that finds me as many servers.

Gamespy definitely blows the other browsers out of the water in terms of features. Some of the best features are:

The 'smartspy' function that allows you to create custom filters. This allows you to ping only the servers that are running the game mod of your choice. Speeds up the updates.

The 'shared ping' finder. This allows you to find servers that have 'mutually low pings' for both you and your other game

buddies.

The 'buddy lists'. You can immediately find which server your gaming buddies are playing on.

ICQ integration. Gamespy posts an 'away' status message that shows which game and ip you logged into.

hah

Kali beats out Gamespy in basically every aspect.

I've used both, and Kali was far less laggy in games such as HL, UT, etc.

It also pinged faster for me as well as more servers.

Gamespy and Kali should get somesort of partnership. Make the ultimate game browser.

Guest Krayt Tion

Never bothered to use Kali, I can't remember if it is free or not?

When I bought Gamespy 3D about a year ago to support them, 'SmartSpy' was only being included in the 20 dollar version. I'm not sure everyone is allowed this benefit in the evaluation version unless they changed their policy on that.

Originally posted by DarkEra:

<STRONG>hah

Kali beats out Gamespy in basically every aspect.

I've used both, and Kali was far less laggy in games such as HL, UT, etc.

It also pinged faster for me as well as more servers.

Gamespy and Kali should get somesort of partnership. Make the ultimate game browser.</STRONG>

Not to get into a game browser war .. :p but I'm kind of lost as to how Kali is 'less laggy'. They are, put simply, matchmaking programs that set up games.

Lag is created by your distance to the game server etc...

so unless for you gamespy isnt finding servers close to you, which I find hard to believe, you shouldnt get more lag. but then I guess it may depends on the game you are trying to play...

[ August 30, 2001: Message edited by: mostly harmless ]

Archived