Home

A JK2 feature that really WORRIES me...

Nemios

"3.01 What type of game is Jedi Outcast?

Jedi Outcast is an action-oriented first-person perspective game, similar in nature to the original Jedi Knight. Third-person perspective is used for lightsaber combat."

Does this mean that you won't be able to freely switch from 1st to 3rd POV with any weapon? I'm going to be very sad if it will be so. Saberfighting from 1st POV is the BIGGEST feature for me and I think that 3rd POV with any gun should be there for people who likes it, since now there's an aiming cross. Acrobatics from 1st POV shouldn't be a problem. The camera hadn't to "roll" like the body since our brain automatically "corrects" the vision (Have you ever watched TV from the bed? And when you turn riding a Motorcycle? :D ). Many MODs for JK1 works well in that manner (An example? See my own from the signature) and I think noone would complain. Please, insert this feature if is missing. If it is already there than tell us or, better, let we see a screen when you release others.

P.S.: I know this had been talked before but I hope to catch the developers' attention with a new topic. Excuse me for my bad english...

[ November 19, 2001: Message edited by: Nemios ]

Agreed, the quake3 console is a powerful thing. If it's like other games, the developers will probably leave all sorts of feature switches hooked into it. Once we find out what those are, we can get access to additional things that may not necessarily be available by default in the game.

Guest Vagabond

I'll throw my two cents into this discussion as well. It's all about options. Game developers, listen up. As a fellow software developer, it is paramount to provide the user with ways to customize and configure a piece of software to their preferred method of operation. If a gamer wants to saber in 1st-person, then why shouldn't they be "allowed" to do so? Sure, default it the way you "think" it should be, but if someone disagrees, then let them play their way. We all have different tastes and preferences.

It's the economy, stupid.

I'd modify that to be:

It's the options, stupid.

Of course, I'm not calling anyone stupid, but that's the quote, so you get the idea. Just be liberal with the options, and you can't go wrong.

[ November 19, 2001: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

If you guys carefully watched the trailers "under download section of jediknightII.net" You would have noticed that in the game the user made it so that he had pulled a saber out, than changed to a storm trooper rifle, changed to 1st person and fired. I noticed that the second time, after reading your comments about it. So don't be afraid it will be perfectly fine.

Wow, this is the opposite of the other thread in a way. I'm hoping for the whole game to be 3rd person, with everything feeling like Heretic II. Although, Hexen II, which was first person, had sword fighting in 1st person and it was really cool too. Hopefully Jedi Knight II will be the best of both worlds: Heretic II meets Hexen II meet Star Wars :D

Seems that everyone cares much more guns on 3rd person POV... if it's true that the console lets you switch (but someone said that in EF you have to enter cheat mode, so what about in multiplayer? Still possible?), for guns virtually there's no problem but for the saber remains. In JK1 animations differs from external and POV (see into COGs, scripting language) and if for guns' external animations we are sure they exist (like someone said, in multiplayer we still see animations for the opponents), we are NOT sure internal animation exist for the saber...

Did you understand me? My english seems not so good to me :(

Guest Vagabond

I, for one, am very skillful at first-person sabering in MotS. It's the only way I've ever fought, and although I am capable of sabering in 3rd-person, I'd just as soon not. It's not my cup of tea, so to speak. My strong suggestion is that JKII support the same customization options that the original JK and MotS had. Remember, evolve the gameplay, not devolve - otherwise I'm going to have to whip it - whip it good!!! :cool:

Guest Vagabond

You're right, my friend Stormy, I laughed my ass off the first time I saw my bloody stump grow back into a fully functional, although somewhat bloody, arm again.

The wonderful healing power of Turkey Legs and Mead...gotta love it :cool:

simply because it switched to 1st pov when he got the gun, doesnt mean you cannot gun in 3rd... if you recall in JK, there was an option call 'lighsaber camera' or something, and what it did was it automatically switched to 3rd when you had you saber out, and then switched 1st again once you pulled out a gun... so it will probably be an option again...

Archived