Home

Player Profiles

Darth Simpson

One thing I would like to see in Jedi Outcast is Player Profiles, like the original JK had.

My dad likes to play FPS games on my PC, and it's really troublesome in most games to reconfigure your keys each time someone else has played. We have different settings that we find comfortable.

So why not include a little log-in screen when you first start the game, like JK or XWA, where you could choose to create or select a profile. It's one thing I would really like to see included.

I know some games already has this feature, but there's a truckload that don't, and that is a shame.

Thoughts?

They didnt have player profiles in Elite Force either and it got kind of annoying. I really hope Raven rememeber to add this feature as it would not only make it easier for us, but also more fun as we could muck around without spoiling our actual "proper" game.

The problem is most games....probably over 96% dont have player profiles. I also hope that they add player statistics so you can see how many shots fired and hit, how often you jumped etc.....i know its not vital, but its great fun to see :).

I'm all for player profiles.....

but something else i'd like to see, is registration of usernames on a huge online network, something similar to WON perhaps, or much like the tribes 2 setup. A lot of people might not like registering names, but it helps with smurfing and people pretending to be others if theres a limit on name registrations per cd key..... or whatever.

User profiles are something of a staple feature in most modern games, actually... I expect they'll be in.

And Gonk, you're telling me you want to put people through registration just to make it difficult to play under alias? At what point do we sacrifice too much for ridiculously insignificant gain? :)

Even impersonation is such a minor issue as to be laughable in comparison to the problems that a central name database poses. No thanks. :p

Might be, sure, but why? What benefit does it give you? :)

They can't impersonate people. That's it. It's not a major problem and it's most definitely not worth having to sign up and go through the hassle of coming up with a unique handle for yourself. The world will keep spinning if there are two "Darth Vader"s or two "Killer"s out there, believe me. :)

Guest C Shutt

I don't play online, so it doesn't bother me either way, but it does seem like a lot of hassle to solve such an incredibly minor problem.

Player profiles is a great idea.

You could in fact make profiles in q3 and Elite Force by executing a .cfg file at the console. Just type 'exec myconfig.cfg' at the console. This loads up your game settings, controls, etc. Need a new profile? Just type 'exec dadsconfig.cfg' into the console.

The only real difference between this and 'profiles' is that you have to know how to create and execute a .cfg file, as opposed to using a nice GUI.

In fact, I'd say that executing a file is easier than loading profiles through a GUI. In Q3/EF you can simply bind the loading of a configuration file to a single keystroke. Then all you have to do is press a single key on your keyboard to load up your custom profile. E.g. press the F1 key to load profile 1, F2 to load profile 2, etc. You can do it in-game, no need to exit to a configuration screen. That's easier than using a GUI. ;)

Creating and executing .cfgs is probably not something that casual gamers would want to hassle with though.

To the duplicate player names issue: The way Q3/EF currently handles it is that a number is appended to the duplicate gamer name. So if L337_G4m3rX is already logged on, and another L337_G4m3rX logs in, his name will appear as L337_G4m3rX1.

Although it is true there is no way to 'reserve' or lock an original online nickname, as there is in Tribes 2.

[ November 25, 2001: Message edited by: Wilhuf ]

Thanks for the tip, Wilhuf. I'll certainly try that with every Q3 engine game that I get...I just hope there's no radical difference in the file format between Q3 and Q3:TA.

Of course, I was speaking a bit more broadly to include every game, although I know it's not really feasible. Hmmm...perhaps there should be some gaming standards for (simple) configs, in a similar way that HTML is a standard. :confused:

• 3 months later...
Originally posted by CaptainRAVE

...I also hope that they add player statistics so you can see how many shots fired and hit, how often you jumped etc.....i know its not vital, but its great fun to see :).

Oh please no! I'm always going perfecto style when that's added in a game. Remember when playing SoF and/or R6 how I always sneaked and walked to be able to shoot the enemy in the head.

But if it's included in JK2 I won't really bother as I'm going to whack it through with my trusty Batsaber. ;)

Archived