Home

Kyle Katarn

Ice Man1587246496

Okay, can we just establish a certain fact here:

IS THIS REALLY KYLE KATARN?

smscreen001.jpg

Because it doesn't look the way I remember him. Now I don't actually own JK or MOTS, but I've played there demos and I'm a pretty knowledgeable Star Wars fan. Nor does the image look like this:

index_08.jpg

So are they both Kyle?

In the first picture, assuming that's Kyle, then he looks a lot younger and less muscular than in pic #2.

Your opinions?

Guest Sherack Nhar

Actually, I think that JK2's in-game Kyle looks a lot like he did in JK1's filmed cutscenes. Take a look:

pro_kyle.jpg

About the second pic you posted... I don't really think he looks like Kyle. Too muscular, and the shape of the head is too... blocky. He looks more like Dash Rendar than Kyle Katarn...

mayhaps, but I definately think the second picture looks cooler, a visual improvement IMHO. And it seems more like the Kyle back from dark forces. I never liked the cutscenes from JK anyway, every time I see them I smell the distinct oder of ham. Besides, it takes place 4 or 5 years later, I think Kyle would have gotten some new duds by then.

I don't actually own JK or MOTS

Wow you are probably the only one here!Get then both man!they are on of the best games of PC history

About the pics

Maybe its a hint about the storyline

We could get to play Kyle at two different ages

Or maybe Its an older Luke as gonk says

[ June 13, 2001: Message edited by: digl ]

Guest Sherack Nhar

Come on guys, it's Kyle... It was just a quick CG by the Lucasarts guys to get us all hyped up when they announced the game...

Why would they put an older Luke to represent JK2...

I like the idea of having to control Kyle at two different ages. It won't happen, but it would've been cool.

Captain Rave, you're right. I'm judging from an Alpha version. It might not even be Kyle in the pic. I don't know for sure. I'm just hungry for info and little hyped up, I guess. The second pic does look like Dash Rendar. I'm a huge fan of Dash Rendar (Read Shadows of the Empire!!!) and I guess I was subconsciously hoping that Kyle would look like him. :) I guess we'll see, right?

The guy in that second pic is Kyle's Austrian brother, Arnold Katarn.

Actually the Kyle in the first picture bears a strong resemblance to the Kyle in Jedi Knight, so I don't think Raven should change his appearance too much, if at all.

Of course the Kyle Katarn we know from Dark Forces looks completely different from both Kyle and Arnold Katarn as shown in these two pictures.

Judging from the intermission cinematics in DK, I'd say Kyle bore a striking resemblance to a disgruntled Jeff K at the time (same hairstyle for example).

The really disturbing thing is however, that although he *looked* like Jeff K, I remember Kyle *screamed* like Zach de la Rocha (of Rage Against The Machine fame) when plummeting towards his death from an icy cliff as he was wont to do in those days.

I must confess, this strange discontinuity has really kept me puzzled for countless sleepless hours on end.

Originally posted by En Taro Taldarin:

<STRONG>Dash Rendar isn't too big of a character in Shadows of the Empire, and he dies in the end anyway.</STRONG>

I came across a site once; a Dash Rendar fan site, which stated that Rendar didn't die at the end of the book. I wrote this guy an e-mail and he replied that Dash faked his death so that Imperials wouldn't put a bounty on his head and chase after him. Dash later appears in a comic book, he said. Don't ask me which one, I don't read the SW comics.

But if you think about it, the death sequence in SOTE is pretty lame and unheroic, leaving a fealing that he might still be alive.

Anyway, back to JKII :).

well, to me the man in the screen shots look to lanky to be kyle, even the kyle in the movie shots from JK. and the fact that he has a blue saber makes me think it isnt kyle too. of course all Jedi are suppose to build their own sabers, but Kyle doesnt seem to me like the kind of guy who would stick to tradition, plus, he's probly to busy (lazy) to build himself one. i know programmers dont get out much, but im sure they would remimber that kyle had an orange saber. anyone else think so?

[ June 16, 2001: Message edited by: acdcfanbill ]

Archived