Home

AEStats : Stats to Track Your Performance In Jedi Outcast

Wilhuf

For any of you who actually like to back up your talk about how great you think you are in Jedi Knight:

I just got an e-mail from aeon

( aeon@planetquake.com ), developer of the AEStats and AEStats ++ game log parser and statistics generator.

Aeon tells me he loves Quake3 games and Jedi Knight. He confirms that AEStats and AEStats ++ support for Jedi Outcast is guaranteed as soon as he can get hold of a game log.

So, for those of you who like to track your game performance with statistics programs such as ngStats for UnrealTournament, AEStats and AEStats ++ will allow server administrators to generate html files containing Jedi Outcast player statistics, such as kills, deaths, weapons performance and rankings.

Admins can then post the html stats to a website, where gamers can check their stats, and prove their elite Jedi Mastery.

AEStats has been in development for many years. As the AEStats page reads, "The æstats package will read game log files for just about all shooters and convert them into a platform independent log format, the meta log format. This is done by the first module (executable) called preaes.

From there the second module called aestats will take over. It generates meaningful stats and ranking pages in html from the meta log file you feed it."

Here is a sample page generated by AEStats.

[ July 20, 2001: Message edited by: Wilhuf ]

Well, it definitely a good option for those who are into that kinda thing, and I'm all for more options, but really, I'm there for the gameplay and the Star Wars atmosphere. I don't really care how I compare in terms of weapon accuracy to some bloke from twelve-thousand miles away who I've never met and probably never will meet.

On the other hand, it would be very interesting to compare stats with, say, others from this board. For me, then, it's a nice feature, but probably not one that I would get a lot of use out of.

Still, as I said, I'm all for options, and just because I'm not that bothered about stats doesn't mean other people aren't, so as far as I'm concerned, it's a good idea.

I suppose that technically it's possible that someone could later the information, but why? The HTML is generated automatically, and presumably the server admins are all trustworthy enough to go fiddling around with the scores... no, it's pretty secure, I'm sure.

Guest Krayt Tion

I still haven't looked into Quake 3 stat generators yet. After briefly looking at the stats layout on that guy's site, I must say I've seen better, as far as presentation is concerned. But I suppose some stats for the time being is better than no stats.

I really like stat programs like Psycho Stats but they are only for Half-Life and its mods. I played on a cstrike server before the summer on a server that used another excellent program called Half-Stats and now uses both Half-Stats and Pyscho Stats, as well as Real Time Stats that let you very the scores of who was playing that very second on their webpage, without the use of a third party program like GameSpy.

Typical Classic Pyscho Stats here

Pyscho Stats customized

here

here

here etc.

One thing is for certain- and mark my words- stat programs completely change the server dynamics. When I started playing on a cstrike server with excellent stat keeping I was thrilled- at first. Not only could I get the satisfaction of a good hard fight on a map but if I could get a breakdown of my performance if I played like that all week and even at the end of a month. It was damn interesting to finally see some numbers represent my fps playing, kinda like seeing the source code revealed on one of your favorite programs :) I could also see stats on me and others that no one keeps track of but are none the less interesting.

Sadly, my love story with stats ends here. I went into a map knowing that if I didn't perform at least with a ratio score of 2 to 1 I might drop far in the rankings. Soon it became 3 to 1 or I wasn't really happy. Yep, everyone that played the game on a stat server learns eventually the kind of score they need to get to maintain a certain range in stats. I- as well as many others- became a slave to to the stats. Playing the game was fun, winning was better, and seeing those wins reflected well in stats became the ultimate goal for a great many people.

This took a lot of fun out of the game, when I wasn't winning that is. Out of at least several hundred players I consistanly stayed within the top ten for a majority of the time, never straying too far from it when I did. I eventually let go of this desire to dominate the stats completely, thank goodness. I instead concentrated on developing a killing style using weapons that people shyed away from, like the m3 and the machine gun. This was of course reflected in stats. :):p

The server dynamic will forever be changed by stats... overall they bring increased competition, people fighting and bickering for numbers on a page. I am guilty of this. You might say to yourself 'I am not the kind of person that would get into this stat thing.' You might be right. Or, more likely, when you see how much stats mean to other regulars on a server, that never fully recognize you unless you are ranked decently or have a special stat title, you will realize you were fooling yourself.

jk2s going to be about sabre duels and stuff which can be lenghty..

and even with cs and dod you get newbie bashing whores.. who pick servers with lots of hpbs if they are a lpb and then romp up the scores..

not to mention one of the greatest players according to the st00pid clq, the almighty default name, who had played more hours then was possible in a the time zone, and who had an awesome frag rate..

they are flawed. hell some of them count bot kills, so just add novice bots and w00t!

Grat to know Itll support JO

I hope the stats are extremely detailed, Iv never seen AEStats, but Iv seen some stats where you can even see your performance with each weapon against each other player

Digl, in my first post above, I posted a link to an AEstats sample, if you want to see what they look like.

AEstats, like most other game log parsing and stat programs, can filter out any player name (e.g. the default 'player' name) so that your stats are not incorrectly calculated based on default names.

I kind of like the ranking concept: if you target newbies, your rank really won't move up much, while if you target players that are higher ranked, you stand to gain more rank.

And yes, the logs used as inputs to generate stats can be modified by whoever is compiling the statistics. Usually it is the server administrator who runs the stat program and posts the stats.

Part of the reason I am hoping there will be a zonestats for JKO is that stats would be administered by an 'impartial' separate group (Microsoft).

Although I don't really have a problem with user-administered stats in JKO since one can always record a game demo and compare the results of their demo with the stat results. If they are inconsistent, then you can just ignore whatever the stats say. If they are consistent, then you probably have an honest stat page on your hands.

At the end of the day, the demo can always serve as proof of your 'elite jedi skills.'

I like the stats not only because they show ranking and scores, but also show the real story about which weapons are the most effective, and whether ping is actually a good predictor of a game outcome, and whether players tend to play against the same opponents.

As far as 'getting way to involved in the stats to the point where the game is no longer fun' goes, I can see how gamers could really get into their stats, and even go overboard to keep their rank high.

All I can say is, gamers have a choice on how and why they play their games. It really is up to them whether they want to go overboard to preserve rank. They can always choose not to visit the server stat page of course. And as Krayt has told us, it is possible to go too far to earn good stats, but then switch back to a more fun style of gameplay.

The stat information doesn't cause the gamer to go crazy. The gamer has to make a choice on how they use that information.

In any case, I'd rather have some interesting information on ranking and weapons than none at all.

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: Wilhuf ]

Yes, but it goes both ways. Stat pages also expose the cheap 'elite' players who go exclusively for the easy kills against newbies. E.g. #1 ranked player kills #99 ranked player 50 times. Big deal.

Fun to see how ranking is earned by summarizing the average rank of a player's opponent. E.g., do you tend to kill players who are much lower ranked than you, higher ranked than you or about the same rank as you? Stat pages can report this info.

Either way, stat pages don't deter new players from playing. Players don't have to check their ranking if they don't want to. In fact, stat pages may actually encourage newcomers to play. After reading a stat page, they might even say 'yeah, I can take down that top-rated veteran player, bring it on!'

I don't think stat pages encourage any type of gameplay or will somehow change the number of players per server. Gameplay mode and player limit is determined by the server administrator, and in some cases, by in-game voting.

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: Wilhuf ]

Archived